Sponsored by:

993 Turbo value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006 | 05:50 PM
Jim N
Track Day

Default 993 Turbo value?

Hi Guys,
I am a frequent reader but rarely post. I would like to pick your brain. I am looking at a 97 993 Turbo. It has no records of service and has had some body and paint work. The tail lights need some adjustment to get rid of a larger than normal gap. The front right quarter panel needs some adjustment but I think I would not do that. The paint is in good shape and my body shop says that the clear coat is good and can handle a buffing. It has 45,000 miles. The tires are in fair condition. I want to arrive at a price before spending money on a mechanic to do a thorough inspection. I previously had a 97 C4S and to me the car drives nice and feels tight. The question: What is a fair price?
Thanks for your help.
Jim
Old 01-16-2006 | 06:09 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

I would think you would be in the mid 50's, with a REALLY good PPI considering probable prior damage and no records. Going to be a tuff car to sell also.
Old 01-16-2006 | 06:16 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Jim,

I assume the car is local? With the crappy weather you're having, the buyer has a pretty good advantage. What color is the car? Has the car had any stuff replaced? Clutch? Turbos? shocks? Check for steering rack leaks (common 993 issue). This car may not be such a bargain if there are several things to be fixed, and no service records. Are you anywhere near Steve Weiner? I'd have him (or a very reputable shop) do an exhaustive PPI. Bill is about spot on with mid $50k, unless you can find big problems or can confirm the car is otherwise perfect.
Old 01-16-2006 | 06:35 PM
Jim N
Track Day

The car is black/black. The transmission was replaced about 5 years ago and the clutch was replaced 1.5 years ago. The seller has owned the car 5 years and purchased it from a dealer in Santa Barbara. You are right about the weather here; we are looking at breaking our 33 day record of measurable rain. I build houses for a living and with all the rain the Porsche bug has had a chance to bite me again. I am planning on having Squire in Bellevue do the PPI; I think he is on par with Steve Weiner.

It well be tough for me to sell because of the history or lack there of.

Thanks guys, I have always found this board a wealth of info.
Old 01-16-2006 | 06:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Jim,

You local Porsche dealer can do a records search and see what's there. They can't (legally) give you a copy of what the Porsche computer systems has, but they can read it to you. The Santa Barbara dealer may have some of his own recprds that could be made available to you. Is there any documentation on the tranny or clutch?

Good luck with this and keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2006 | 07:32 PM
Jim N
Track Day

Thanks Steve,
Good idea on the local dealer. The seller has one receipt from Park Place Motors for the 45k oil change. I stopped by that shop and they have no recollection of the vehicle other than what is in the computer.

The seller has no documentation on the clutch or tranny. The only reason I am considering this car is if the price is right. Most buyers will require documentation but at some point the price will get my attention. I have to believe the pool of buyers for a car without ANY documentation is quite small. If I don’t get a great deal then I am not a buyer. My plan would be to keep it and enjoy it without getting to ****. I do not have the money to pay for a prime turbo with all the documentation.
Old 01-16-2006 | 07:51 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jim;

Welcome.. If I was you I would drive the car to Eurotech Bodyworks and speak to Mark (owner-Kirkland).. Let him go over the bodywork part, he will tell you what has been replaced.. And done right or wrong.. He see quite a few of these cars.. PM or Email me if you need some help..
Old 01-16-2006 | 10:01 PM
Jim N
Track Day

hey Kevin,
I have been to Eurotech with the c4s I bought from Ray Joseph. They are good but no better than Steve at Queen City in Redmond. I like Steve alot. When I bought the c4s all three shops confirmed that it had paint work, something that was not disclosed at the time of purchase.

I think that the mid $50k is a good number. I will go with that and let the sellermake his decision.
Thanks gain to this board.
Jim
Old 01-16-2006 | 10:24 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Jim,

Since the car has yet to be inspected, I would suggest you settle on a price PENDING the results of the inspection. In no case, would the price go up, but depending upon what you learn, the price would be reduced by fixing broken bits. Or you could walk. But he should commit to selling at the agreed price MINUS the unexpected repairs. That will save you wasting the expense of the inspections, only to have him change his mind. You can give him the option of fixing all the unexpected repairs, or deducting that amount from the price.

Gads... I'm sounding like an attorney. I'm not.
Old 01-16-2006 | 10:47 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Jim N: Hello from Tukwila, WA. I sent you a PM.
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:17 AM
Jim N
Track Day

Steve I like your negotiating skills, you are dead on. What you say is true and matter of fact but most are not prepared to hear it.

Tukwila I did not receive the PM from you. Try jjnewhall@comcast.net.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:59 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Jim N: I sent the PM again and I sent you an email.
Old 01-17-2006 | 03:34 PM
Sport Auto
Track Day

Jim, I sent you a PM.
Old 01-17-2006 | 06:10 PM
ploglet
Pro

Given the number of TT's that are out there that do not have any of these issues you stated I wouldnt pay more than $50K for the car and that might be pushing it. I have seen a few TT's go lately for the low 50's and they have no accident/paintwork at all. For $57-60 you can get a car that doesnt have ANY of these issues. Just look around.
Old 01-17-2006 | 08:43 PM
Jim N
Track Day

I have been contacted by a couple of other sellers since I posted this thread. If there are other sellers that I may have overlooked please send a PM or go direct to jjnewhall@comcast.net. I am a buyer if I can find the right car. I am not looking to steal one but I do not want to overpay and take it in the shorts when I sell; I did that once and learned some valuable lessons. If you bought the car right then there is a 'fair' price where we should both be happy. If you overpaid, I am not going to be the guy who bails you out.

I am not in a hurry to buy but have the cash to move fast. I bought a Yamaha R1 thinking that it would satisfy the beast but I must admit there is nothing like the sound of a Porsche… the engine…the door when you close it and it sounds like a vault…I love these cars.

Thanks to all who have bothered to respond to this thread.

Hey the sun came out today in Seattle and we were able to pour concrete, will wonders never seize?
Jim

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo value?