Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Sensor Problem? (longish post)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Sensor Problem? (longish post)

Car's been running beautifully, but a couple of times under hard acelaration in 3rd (and once I think in 4th - can't recall), when the RPM was around 6k, the car felt a bit harsh like the boost was being let out but more aggressively/shoppy than usual - not in the normal, smooth whoooosh that I'm used to getting (and sometimes hearing). It's almost like there was a hesitation about whether to keep the boost on or whether to let it out.

There is no drop in boost or power, it's still pulling beautifully and hitting 0.8 in 3rd. It only happened a couple of times. I must admit, the temperature was around 40 degress celcius. I had a passenger in the car who didn't notice a thing (except now he's after a 993TT )

She's in the garage now getting a suspension upgrade, so I can get the guys down there to check (not sure if the problem can be replicated though).

I checked the archives and based on what I've read, it could be the MAF sensor. Is there anyway of checking whether there is a problem with MAF sensor without actually replacing it? Should I get them to check anything else?

One other thing, the car had a boost leak several months ago which was fixed (don't know the details) could that be linked?

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Ziad

'96 993tt Black/Beige, Turbo S ducts, 430hp
Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 328 Likes on 222 Posts

If you haven't replaced the MAF or do not know if it has been replaced.. Replace it, along with spark plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor..
Old 10-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Ziad, I won't say a word unless you post pictures first. j/k
Kevin said it all of course I would doubt they have replaced your MAF over there or in Dubai..
Old 10-05-2005, 01:00 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you have access to the Porsche laptop program that plugs into the OBD2 port, the MAF will throw a code if it's failing.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

That was quick! Thanks. I'd agree with Jean, I don't think that the MAF has ever been changed, though it had a service a few months. I'll ask them to change the lot.

Jean,

You win, below are pictures with of my car looking VERY VERY VERY dusty. It's not flattering so I was reluctant to post these pix. I promise a new set of sexy pictures with (slightly) lowered suspension and a spanking clean car. In the meantime, please see below.

Thanks guys,
Ziad
Old 10-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Well that obviously didn't work... I'll try again

911/Q45
Thanks for that - I don't, but willl see if they have that at the workshop

Cheers,
Ziad
Old 10-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Jean - thanks buddy!

Here is a better picture of my car, looking squeakey clean

Ziad
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ziad,

Your taste of colour is excellent!

What setup do you run on, is it stock/K24/hybrids? Do you have standard or upgraded ECU?

I've got K24 with Porsche ECU, it clearly has two "bumps" in the Turbo RPM range. However, I believe this is standard behaviour.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rassel
Ziad,

Your taste of colour is excellent!

What setup do you run on, is it stock/K24/hybrids? Do you have standard or upgraded ECU?

I've got K24 with Porsche ECU, it clearly has two "bumps" in the Turbo RPM range. However, I believe this is standard behaviour.
I couldnt agree more....
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Rassel,

Thanks ! I bought the car from Dubai with a warrany. They told me it was stock. Lo and behold, I find out that its actually had a 430hp upgrade - I have no idea how the dealership missed that

It's only had the ECU and auxiliary oil cooler upgrade. I'm now looking at the 480hp upgrade from Protomotive (do you anyone who's done that upgrade?) and will probably go for the GT oil cooler. I believe the stock turbos are the k16s (?) and the power delivery feels very smooth, almost like there's one bump which the RPM builds towards - just came back from a spirited drive

Does that mean you have the 450hp upgrade? Have you posted any pictures of your car?

Thanks Vince,
Yours looks absolutely fantastic and the paint work is superb! I love the GT2 kit, do you have the GT2 front spoiler? Are your wheels 19"? Upgrades?

Ziad
Old 10-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ziad, you're welcome. The car looks really nice. I would have them lower a bit the ride as you are installing the new suspension and have them dial at least -1.5 deg of camber front and rear the same..
Any news about the MAF issue? Paul must have the Porsche tester for sure at the workshop.
Looking forward for end October.
Jean
Old 10-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

Arrow

Originally Posted by Ziad
Rassel,

Thanks Vince,
Yours looks absolutely fantastic and the paint work is superb! I love the GT2 kit, do you have the GT2 front spoiler? Are your wheels 19"? Upgrades?

Ziad

Yes have the GT2 front spoiler too, actually I just replaced it when I had the front redone because of the run in with a guard rail. If you hav'nt seen it yet here it is
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/210531-bounced-off-the-guard-rail.html
I would show u pictures but my baby is currently having her trans replaced, have you read my thread? By the way Ill post a correction to the price. I called him today and gave me a new quote. Infact Im gonna do that now.... The rims are 18", at the time i bought it no body reputable would put their name on the line to install 19". They were waiting from an Ok from Porsche. Mind u the people i dealt with were very reputable tuners......and at the time Porsche was promising answers for using 19's. That was a few years ago and i have had these since..... The car had a Tech Art exhaust already on it when i bought it, and have not done anything since....

Last edited by Vince 97' 993 TT; 10-09-2005 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:19 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Ziad, good seeing your car again. It's looking more beautiful everytime I see it. What kind of suspension did you decide to go with?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Jean
I had the suspension lowered by 7mm. The car feels sharper on the turn in and the handling is more confident overall, the ride a bit firmer - I like it. I didn't ask them to change anything on the camber - I think I'll do that - not sure what the setting is now...

No progress on the MAF as they didn;t have anything to check it... since the weather has cooled down, I've been going on long spirited drives daily and she has been driving like a dream... I think I will order another MAF anyway.

So you coming / participating on 22 Oct?

Vince,
Outch, that looks painful... Why are you changing the transmission?

Khalid,
Thanks ! Good to see here again. I went for the Bilstein HD which is perfect for me - Car is my daily driver, it sees the track 3-4 times a year.

I see you've got the Cayman S (color?) ! Please let me know when it's here... Khalid, are you participating on 22 Oct ?

Best regards,
Ziad
Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ziad
Jean
So you coming / participating on 22 Oct?
I will do my best for sure, although I am more interested in the open Speed Trip event, since there you get a chance to face some P-Cars, Ferraris, Lambos and all sorts of NOS fed Skylines and the likes

I will send you my alignment settings, you might want to replicate them on your car as they are ok for the street except for the camber.

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor Problem? (longish post)