Early Christmas Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Early Christmas Lights

Yesterday I noticed what sounded like a tappet (sp) not right, like a misfire maybe... but otherwise car was fine.

So I'm driving into town (70km highway drive) today, and as I get onto the highway I pump the accelerator out of the round-a-bout, when the 2 ABD lights come on, one red and one green... and they stay on!

Then I figure, oh well, only had the car a week... seems unusual but we'll see what gives...

Then I get close to town and the engine really sounds rough... suddenly, the dash lights up like a Christmas Tree! The Battery light, the Belt light, the ABS light plus the already lit ABD lights... all come on at once...

The engine starts to overheat, I pull over turn off make a few calls...

I find out the belts (all three) have snapped and flown off... the remnants of which are all over the engine bay...

Next thing is the car is in at the Local Porsche Centre locked away for the weekend til Monday when they can look at it... and I'm hitching a ride home!

What the...?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Kevin, the fan belts on our engines must be maintained in top shape. A little suggestion, have your mechanic pull your alternator, the reason is, if your belts have shred, much of the lining gets sucked in and rest on top of your cylinders, thus reducing tha air flow to cool you engine cylinders.. I know it will cost a little more monies, heck at that point you can get your alternator rebuilt. But it will be peace of mind for you.. You engine will Thank you..

You might also need a new belt sensor that might have been knocked out with the broken belts..
Old 08-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May as well pull the engine and get going on the mods! LOL,
good luck
Marty K
Old 08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's quite possible that your alternator belt let go and the bits got caught up in the other belts and once the pieces tried to go between the belts and their pulleys the other belts let go as well. I had this happen but only lost the AC belt as collateral damage; the fan belt was fine.

I replaced the fan belt as a precaution and carry a full spare set just in case.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi again...

I thought I'd give you a run down of ownership so far... certainly eventful, and I have to say has made my 964T leave a bigger hole in my heart than I thought

First, was the window creak... but I've now read that in the 993's that was common. I also found the smallest bit of rust on the bottom left of the front windscreen. Porsche have agreed to fix under warranty.

Next was the instability at speed. Well, I've put that down to high cross winds at the time because on the weekend a friend (ex Porsche Mechanic!) and I took the car up to 230km/h and it seemed very solid. I am going to ask Porsche to check it out anyway, and give it an alignment.

However, we did find that the bonnet had been resprayed, but could not see that anywhere else had. We think it was probably for stonechips, but again, I am going to check into it.

Now, after our run on Saturday, we let the car idle and noticed it had a misfire. My friend said "Sounds like a tappet on the left bank". I said "uhuh?"... I'm not technical

So, now I have a lazy tappet, a creaky window, possible instability, ... but wait.. (there's more)

Now, we're pushing the car up to the 200km/h mark, and I am a passenger... I look at the boost gauge it seems to spool up in a wierd way... I'm used to my 964T going in increments something like:
0.2 0.5 0.7 then remaining at 0.7 all the way through the rev range til the redline. It also spooled quickly under full throttle (in the right gear of course, if that makes sense?) ...
The 993TT spools like this:
0.2 0.4 0.5 .... .... .... .... .... 0.7 0.8 but reaches the top two right at the end of the rev band?

That, to my mind, says something's not quite right? Plenty of power mind you, but then I am used to 964T, and the 993TT may just have oodles without trying!

So, where were we...
creaky window, possible instability, lazy tappet, off boost, and then, on the way into town... Christmas lights!

ABD, ABS, may or may not be belt related? And then battery and belts....

I am just going to go hand Porsche my AMEX card and never go back
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

I'm really sorry you're having this experience. I know it's hard to believe, but these are really wonderful cars. My experience has been completely uneventful...not intending to rub it in, but to give hope that once you work through the problems, you'll have a wonderful experience with your new car.

I wish you the very best!

Jim
Old 08-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jim... that helps!!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:33 AM
EThec
Racer

i ran into a couple unexpected things myself in the first year.... slave cylinder, hall sensor/distributor. but today i have a wonderful car and no regrets. hang in there and iron out these things. you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:44 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EThec
i ran into a couple unexpected things myself in the first year.... slave cylinder, hall sensor/distributor. but today i have a wonderful car and no regrets. hang in there and iron out these things. you'll be glad you did.
EThec

That's not what my financial advisor says

In fact, when I bought the '90 C4 he shrugged, said I was throwing good money after bad...

When I sold that and bought the 964T he fell over backwards, got up, gasped for air, wiped the sweat off his brow and sat down looking withdrawn and pale...

When I then bought the 944S as well as a daily driver he had a seizure, they carted him off to hospital and when he recovered he was never the same...

I told him last week about the 993TT, he was last seen running naked down the main street in Melbourne with "the end is nigh" tattoed on his rear
Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 AM
MOD500
Racer

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I had lots of trouble with mine at first; 6 times on a flatbed to the dealer in the first 5 weeks of ownership.

Its been fine ever since once the faults were fixed.....don't get disheartened!

Carry a spare set of belts as Phelix says, even if you can't put them on yourself...the breakdown mechanic should be able to.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:59 AM
simonrs
Intermediate

Kevin
Quite funny this (in an ironic way). Your car and mine have same issues at the same kilometres. I have had to get the belts done as they were on the way out, I'll bet you London to a brick that the shocks are the cause of the floating sensation at speed, and I also have the creaking screen. Perseverance will pay off. How are your brake discs? Mine are RS. Othereise the cars are solid. Mine has tick that could be mistaken for a tappet.Not sure what it is, but it isnt a tappet. My spanner assures me it is a standard feature of the model. I didnt believ him until we had three together and they all did it. Maybe the wiser men in the US can reassure you about this. Hang in there. Look on the bright side, at least you have given your Accountant something to think about. I just ended up finding an Accountant who has a Porsche. At least he understands my pain! BTW my new Bilstein shocks are here in Perth already, after three days from Belgium. Good service.
Rgds
Simon Line
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Again

I'm still waiting for my car to return from the workshop... something still bugging me is this... posted earlier, but I really want some advice please as you've driven your cars a little longer than me!

---cut from earlier post---
Now, we're pushing the car up to the 200km/h mark, and I am a passenger... I look at the boost gauge it seems to spool up in a wierd way... I'm used to my 964T going in increments something like:
0.2 0.5 0.7 then remaining at 0.7 all the way through the rev range til the redline. It also spooled quickly under full throttle (in the right gear of course, if that makes sense?) ...
My 993TT spools like this:
0.2 0.4 0.5 .... .... .... .... .... 0.7 0.8 but reaches the top two right at the end of the rev band?
---end cut---

Any ideas? Does that sound right?

If not, what should I be asking Porsche to check for me?

Thanks again.... once I get the niggles sorted I hope I can start to add value myself - been a pretty one way street so far... so thanks!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Camber
Rennlist Member

How did the acceleration feel?

There's a big difference between .5 and .8 boost. If your seat of the pants gauge tells you that boost is being applied smoothly and earlier than redline, then I would think this may simply be the gauge or the sender.

My car will hit .8 pretty early. I haven't tested before writing this response, but I think .8 appears well before 3500 RPM.

Jim
Old 08-19-2005, 08:49 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

The electronic gauge is pretty inaccurate when they are going bad. After a good track day, mine sits at 0.2bar even at idle, hahah. A few days later, it clears itself and goes back to 0 at idle. I don't trust it much, I would get a proper boost gauge and test the car in 4th gear or uphill in 3rd to build some load.

What does your butt dyno say? Does it feel like you are building boost that slow or does it feel like a good pull all the way through with that usual dip in the high rpms?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great questions... I haven't got the car to go for a drive, but here's how I remember it...

The power seems to come in early, but not in a violent rush... it seems to build more as the revs get higher, which indicates the guage is telling the truth.. there is also a slight hesitation in the mid-rev range, especially if I pump it from 4th gear from low revs - I think third was the same but can't remember...

I would like to know what your 'remote' diagnosis would be, and what I should ask Porsche to check since they are giving it a major service right now?

Quick Reply: Early Christmas Lights