Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary info about oils and cam shaft longevity.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:48 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scary info about oils and cam shaft longevity.

Hi guys. If you've been following my thread on my Poof (Porsche/Ruf), I had Todd Knighton install a pair of Ruf cams. During conversations about cam break-in period, he stated to use a high quality Dinosaur oil...He uses Valvoline Racing 20/50 and is what's in my car now. He says the 993tt seems to be most happy with 20/50 in HIS experience. He did'nt have much to say about other oils, but urged me to call WebCam because they had startling info on oils and cam longevity.

Ok, no flames please, I don't mean to cause any friction (pun not intended), but It was said to me that they were seeing many cam failures from apparent lack of lubricant properties of certain well known oils including synthetics.

Bottom line is if you want to run a synthetic, Redline and Torko (sp??) seemed to do very well. the worst was _ msoil (buy a vowel) which wore the cam lobes severely!

Since we all love our babies, thought you'd like to know.

Jaime
Old 08-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Mobil 1 and Energy Release!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Did Todd install the camshafts with new rocker arms? Or did he install the cams with your old rocker arms.. Hopefully you got new resurfaced rockers.. Any accelerated wear wil come from the mismatch from old cams and old rockers not from oil..
Old 08-07-2005, 12:54 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Hi Kevin, no, the engine has 28K miles on the clock. He said it was not necessary for this application, but very necessary for very high HP/torque motors together with high tension springs etc.,

Mobil 1 and Energy Release....do you mean to say that there is quite some energy release, or is there an oil called Energy Release???
Old 08-07-2005, 01:25 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil is almost like religion. You are not going to change most peoples minds. I've run mobile one 20/50 and have had good luck. Rarely, does ANY after market mfg. engineer their product as throughly as Porsche. Of all the after market stuff I've bought for my porsche the only parts that were up to porsche standards was Tech Art. Supprise, the owner is related to the Porsche family!

After seeing the hot dyno run in at the factory, I think the mobile one is fine that what they recommend. I heard the theory that dinasours oil will allow a quicker break in. Humm, sounds like hot rod technology to me. I'll stick with my sythetic, becaue I'm not changing religions.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would not run any dino oil in a air-cooled turbocharged engine you will accelerate the sealing ring wear due to excess carbon build up..
Old 08-07-2005, 01:41 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry, Energy Release is the company that sells the additive.. I have been running it for nearly 10 years..
Old 08-07-2005, 02:08 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Hi guys....agree about carbon build-up on air-cooled engines.......this is only until cams break-in, then it's back to synthetics!

Kevin.....do tell more about this "energy release" Who sells it, where can we get more info...sounds like a caffeine laden drink!

Jaime
Old 08-07-2005, 02:10 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non synthetic racing oils are more prone to coke the turbos. General Motors Engine Oil Suppliment (EOS) has a ton of ZDDP which will protect a new cam. ZDDP is an extreme pressure lubricant, and it's also an anti-oxidant and friction reducer. It's the main ingredient in most special cam break in lubes. They've reduced it in new "SM" oils to prevent the phosphorus from damaging the catalytic convertor. The new Mobil 1 0w40 SM rated oil has reduced ZDDP also. The Mobil 1 "EP" and Truck and SUV oils have more ZDDP. You can get Mobil 1 EP or 5w40 Truck and SUV oils at Walmart. Mobil now officially recommends the 5w40 for all pre 1994 models.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There are 3 leading additives today.. Teflon based, don't recommend,

Zinc, very good, but is very hard on cats and in Europe it is restricted.

Chlorinated Parafin = Energy Release... http://www.energyrelease.com/products.asp?Family_ID=1
Old 08-14-2005, 05:44 AM
ebaker
Pro

Chlorinated additives can corrode brass. Not good. GM Engine oil suppliment contains over 6000 PPM zinc.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, I've used a chlorinated paraffin product for probably over 10 years now - used them in our vehicles (personal/farm/fleet), especially my Porsches - oil as well as gas and transmission additives. Have always been told that they are great for turbos - and interesting that Kevins using ER. I always thought my Porsches ran cooler with the additive. There is only one product/website that actually includes some data and stringent industry standard wear tests.....
www.poladyne.com

disclaimer - a relative owns the company.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:57 PM
ebaker
Pro

I was under the impression that in an internal combustion engine the chlorine reacted with the heat and blow by gases to form hydrochloric acid. I could be wrong.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

ebaker
I can't remember the details but the percentage of chlorination is quite low and it doesn't get broken down that far. I have a chemistry background and looked at it quite intensively at one point before I became convinced.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have ran ER for a very long time. I run 2oz per quart.. On MANY engines that I have tore down, the lack of wear on timing gears and bearings has driven me to keep using it. ER adds additives to negate the acidic reations.

I agree with Basal that there are benificial side effect. I typically see a 1/2 bar increase of oil pressure across the board..

Quick Reply: Scary info about oils and cam shaft longevity.