Sponsored by:

Still on the hunt

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:30 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iborroel, the turbo S ducts are used to replace the fog lights. if you look next to the front bumperette, you will see them.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:32 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adsc4s: My bad. Ethec never mentioned which ducts so I was assuming the Turbo S fender ducts. Doh! I had seen the ones you are talking about.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott Mellor is going to meet me at Allen Motors today at noon, and we'll give the car a good eyeball for anyone that's interested. I have my camera with me, and will take pictures, but I won't be able to upload the pictures until this evening. I'll post my comments here, and perhaps Scott will post his own independent thoughts. And... he can buy me lunch! Four eyeballs for the price of two! Whadda deal.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had an independant thought in my life.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

ca993twin: I know that you were initially looking at this car for gareeb. I appreciate that you don't mind me asking as well. If you take pictures could please email them to me at iborroel@ctiseattle.com if you don't have a chance to post them here. I am not a stickler for some very minor interior/exterior (rock chips) wear since the car is 10 years old but I don't wouldn't want anything that looks like crap. Of course if a good detail will fix her up that is fine with me. Of course a PPI wil be done with this many miles on the car. Thanks again.

gareeb: Sorry if I have hijacked your post. That wasn't my intention. I am just interested in the car as well.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

We can deliver the car to WA for a nominal fee.

Steve: ROADTRIP!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 PM
gareeb
Advanced

No problem at all. I found a few more with lower mileage for a little more money. That I'm looking at as well. I'm not rushing to jump in to anything.
I stumbled upon this car yesterday.
I'll post those and you guys can give me you opinions as well.
If you are ready to do the dance then by all means go ahead.
Someone should get a deal. If it turns out to be legit.
Then you can take me for a ride. If I have not procured my own yet

Originally Posted by iborroel
ca993twin: I know that you were initially looking at this car for gareeb. I appreciate that you don't mind me asking as well. If you take pictures could please email them to me at iborroel@ctiseattle.com if you don't have a chance to post them here. I am not a stickler for some very minor interior/exterior (rock chips) wear since the car is 10 years old but I don't wouldn't want anything that looks like crap. Of course if a good detail will fix her up that is fine with me. Of course a PPI wil be done with this many miles on the car. Thanks again.

gareeb: Sorry if I have hijacked your post. That wasn't my intention. I am just interested in the car as well.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:21 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

gareeb: Well if you get yours before I do I will have to get a ride from you.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:24 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

ca993twin: So how was the car?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

OK we're back from the Pub. (Burp) Ahh tennants! I forgot how much fun drinking in the middle of the day is!
Sorry I mean we're back from looking at the car. Car is very nice looking. There are zero, nada, no stone chips. To me that means a re-spray on a 75K mile car. The guy said that the owner used a bra. The bra is in the trunk, but it must be a wonderbra because there is no indication on the connection areas that a bra has been on there for 75K. The jack, tool kit and spare are not in the car but supposedly available. The seats and interior look great. The drivers seat felt like sitting in a hole, so I assume the PO was a lead butt. The seats are 6 way heated supple leather. (I have a nicer set that just came out of my car.)
The car did not smoke on cold startup, but is making a clicking noise that sounds like the tappet on a 1969 Triump Bonneville. The clutch felt rough in operation. I did not drive it so I'll let Steve continue the narrative.
PS We looked at the car BEFORE we went to the pub.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

ScottMellor: Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to Steve's comments.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:00 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Oh, and the engine bonnet weather stripping and shocks were toast. Also the intercooler shroud had been painted bright red. The guy said he knew it needed a full service and a clutch.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:25 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

The suspension is US spec. (High) Don't know if it's original or not. Assuming it PPI's OK and you negotiated and/or budgeted for clutch, major service and suspension, it seems like a nice car.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

In case you were wondering, Scott did NOT buy me lunch... the bastid.

This car is a bit of an enigma... looks really good, drives fine (but see below), but it did not look pampered. Perhaps its just been left out over the last couple of months. VIN: WPOAC2995VS375614 12/96 build date 76,610 miles

The good stuff:
The car seems straight and no indication (to a non-professional eyeball) of respray
There are no rock chips or door dings. none. odd.
the upholstery and interior are in great condition.
the car has aluminum instrument faces, shift/handbrake, door sills, pedals. nice
the car has some sort of Nokia disigital thingamabob (picture later)
still has the original option sticker in the hood (picture later)
Wheels are hollow spoke (well... they have steel valve stems... is that a way to tell?)
the wheels are basically unmarked

The bad:
Needs some serious clutch work
Engine ticking... struck lifter?
missing spare, compressor, tool kit. spare was in the showroom. othere stuff "may" be available????? I doubt it.
needs engine deck-lid shocks
needs front tires
front bumper beading is out of place (picture later)
missing deck-lid weather strip
OBD light bulb is out (but i can see the display was working... .8 bar, baby)
wiper blades refills are shot... no biggie, but goes to who the heck was taking care of this car?
U.S. ride height... probably still original shocks?

The owner is willing to have the car "attended to" including a new clutch by Redline Automotive, just up the street. I went there and spoke to the owner of that shop abvout the car. He said that he thought that Allen Motors was about to bring him the car for a clutch and complete service.

My thoughts? If Allen Motors will do all the above and still sell the car for $56k, this is a very nice deal for someone. Redline seems to be a competant shop (anybody know them), and maybe able to do a reasonable job on a PPI, since they will be very familiar with the car when they are done. On the other hand, they may catch a lot of buisiness from Allen, and may not be unbiased. I'd still like a body shop to take a good look at the car, since i'm pretty much a doofus about that (and many other things).

Redline: (805)496-0574 (Greg Ast). Let me know what else I can do to help.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

ca993twin: Yeah I spoke to this shop as well since Allen Motors had mentioned them. They told me that Allen Motors was going to do the service work and clutch. If they do this and sell this car at the same price I think it is a good deal. I am still going to get a full PPI done though. I would like to see the compression/leakdown numbers with that many miles.

Quick Reply: Still on the hunt