More pics of my 993tt

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:59 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default More pics of my 993tt

Just picked up the car after 2 months in the bodyshop. General road rash elimination + some rust on bottom of doors. All the GT2 arch bits have been off and the bolts have been replaced, they have even used the same bolts on the bottom of the sills - pics don't really show it but they look brilliant, all shiny and seem to mate with the ones going round the arches
I have had the GT2 wheels all repainted so they are all the same colour (a brand new one I bought was a different shade to the rest) they are sitting there (last pic) with brand new SO2As on, but........ when I picked the car up and saw it all polished up with the 996tt wheels, I really liked it and am begining to think I prefer them to the slightly (dare I say) dated look of the GT2 mags ! What does any one else think ?
The other thing which always bugs me at times like these is, the car now looks 100% mint and as soon as I start deploying the hp on the queen's finest it will start the degeration process all over (see pre mint up photo below) - you can't win !

Last edited by TB993tt; 01-19-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:23 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TB993tt, I always love looking at your car because it's what my midnight blue car wants to be when it grows up Paint is cheap, enjoy the car as you obviously have in the past.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
EThec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks fantastic. I periodically dream about a GT2 conversion to my car. Maybe one day..... I just don't know. As for the wheels, I think the GT2 mags/speedlines are the way to go. They just work with the car IMO. Not that the 996tt wheels are ugly, but they just aren't quite right. Either way, go drive the hell out of it and forget about rock chips.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:10 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful car.
Can't help with wheel decision.
Can't help with UK weather.
beautiful car nontheless.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

TB

Great looking car! I bet you have missed it, between the time you had it in for turbos until now you must have driven it only a few?

I was never a proponent of twist wheels, but the aggressive offset (or spacers ) do look amazing. I also like your ride height and body kit a lot. Very nice.
Congrats and go drive like there's no tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:14 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

It looks great with either set of wheels or with the rock chips and dirt for that matter!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Oh wait, let me get my magnifying glass, I can't see any detail in the 20 x 10 dpi photos.

Seriously, the car looks terrific, including with the 996TT wheels. I had a similar experience recently, as one of my rear Gemballas was badly cracked so I picked up a set of 996TT wheels to tide me over and I've really grown to like the look, so much that I'll probably stick with them for the foreseeable future.

Also, don't be an ingrate, the Queen's finest are on average of better quality than our finest
Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Just picked up the car after 2 months in the bodyshop. General road rash elimination + some rust on bottom of doors. All the GT2 arch bits have been off and the bolts have been replaced, they have even used the same bolts on the bottom of the sills - pics don't really show it but they look brilliant, all shiny and seem to mate with the ones going round the arches
I have had the GT2 wheels all repainted so they are all the same colour (a brand new one I bought was a different shade to the rest) they are sitting there (last pic) with brand new SO2As on, but........ when I picked the car up and saw it all polished up with the 996tt wheels, I really liked it and am begining to think I prefer them to the slightly (dare I say) dated look of the GT2 mags ! What does any one else think ?
The other thing which always bugs me at times like these is, the car now looks 100% mint and as soon as I start deploying the hp on the queen's finest it will start the degeration process all over (see pre mint up photo below) - you can't win !
Looks good.
Since you asked, I prefer the more troublesome GT2 mags. I recall some of your posts about the problems with those wheels so perhaps the current wheels are a more practical solution. Whatever you decide, enjoy the car and that means you can only be as practical with the wheels as you are with the car . All the best.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:41 AM
MOD500
Racer

Great pics.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the replies;
fc; Paint is cheap, but applying it and disassembling and reassembling all those little arch bolts certainly ramps up the cost
Ethec; Thanks for the opinion.
03turbo; Thanks.
Jean; actually it was more like 5 weeks for the painting job. I managed to do about 5000 miles since the new RS set up
Q45; The rock chips really show on the darker colours and can make washing/polishing an upsetting experience.
Ran; I think you touched a sore point, it's not just the look, its the potential of the mags "exploding" one day and getting me in trouble which is also nagging in the back of my mind.
Mod; Thanks
John H; Interesting about the Gemballas. The more I look into wheel options, the more examples of rims breaking one comes across. I think the higher hp cars are particularly brutal on the rears and there are not really that many strong and light wheels out there. Does anyone like the ruf modular, it has a forged centre and they say it was designed for big output cars ?

bigger pic can be found here (couldn't get the full url link to work) :
www.weissach.com
Old 05-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

TB, you don't like the Cargraphic Racing or BBS modular? They are very solid and not very heavy.

Personally, I don't like much these ones (RUF) with the arches.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jean
I have seen quite a few sets of Cargraphic Racing 18s with cracked spokes - the other thing which puts me off them WAIT FOR IT - they look a PIA to clean, and when you use it as a daily driver this becomes an issue ( for me anyway ) - have you any experience in keeping them looking nice - Am I just being a lazy wus
I don't think I can get the BBS (non mag) in an offset anywhere near what I need.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:21 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

TB, I know someone who has these RUF wheels on his RUF R turbo. Personally, I like them and think that they look great. I have no idea how much they weigh though. If I remember correctly, these are made to RUF specs by OZ Racing.

On the Gemballa front, John H is not the only person who has a cracked spoke on Gemballa Competitions. There's a post on 6speed about a person suffering the same thing. I'm not suggesting that only Gemballa wheels suffer from this, I think that most multi-peice wheels can be susceptible to some form of damage much more easily than one peice wheels.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Am I just being a lazy wus
YES

They are hard to clean but I don't mind at all, I only clean between the spokes occasionally, otherwise on the surface every couple of days. I had the same on my 3.6 T.

These are TUV approved and known to be very solid. They have two types of centers as well.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 233 Posts

TB993tt

Having gone to so much trouble ensuring your GT2 arches were flush with your GT2 wheels in the first place, please put your GT2 Speedlines back on, your car looks awesome with them fitted. If you decide to go the Cargraphic or BBS route, the cargraphics are a PITA to keep clean ( I have them fitted to my 993RS) but they now come with stainless steel outer rim sections so maintainence is not such an issue. As regards the cracked wheels you have seen, this was supposedly traced to the early wheels produced and was rectified by the addition of a fillet somewhere to stop the cracking problem. I'm led to believe these wheels are now also available with a forged centre at extra cost.

Quick Reply: More pics of my 993tt