Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:26 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
John H; Interesting about the Gemballas. The more I look into wheel options, the more examples of rims breaking one comes across. I think the higher hp cars are particularly brutal on the rears and there are not really that many strong and light wheels out there. Does anyone like the ruf modular, it has a forged centre and they say it was designed for big output cars ?

bigger pic can be found here (couldn't get the full url link to work) :
www.weissach.com
My rear Gemballa wheel showed four cracks, ranging from 1 to 1.5 inches long. This was actually my second set of cracks with these wheels, as the other rear wheel had a crack in it which was repaired last year (the repair has held up, surprisingly).

My shop relayed a tale of a 996TT cab owner who freaked out because he clamored the front and rear wheels on the passenger side of his car into a 1 foot deep and 3 foot diameter pothole in Virginia. He drove straight to the shop and had them inspected, but they found nothing more than a badly pinched front tire, both wheels remained round and true.

I looked into the Ruf modular wheels. I like the lip as well as the rivets. However, the finish is not as bright as I prefer, and the spokes aren't elegant or interestingly designed enough for my tastes. Again, just my tastes. I do like the look of the traditional Ruf flat spokes. I can argue equally for the appeal of a big aggressive lip (as the Gemballa, the Ruf modular and many other wheels have), as well as the flush/no-lip look of the 996TT wheel, which creates an impressively shouldered pofile that harmonizes well with the fender bulge. Having done the big lip for four years, I'm enjoying a new look.

When I get back to my computer at home I can post a pic of a dark Atlas Gray 993TT with the Ruf modular wheels that used to be on Weissach's website (before the redesign). That pic convinced me that I didn't want those wheels. They may have the opposite impact for other folks.

Quick Reply: More pics of my 993tt