Sponsored by:

Stutter under Acc

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 04:11 AM
MOD500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stutter under Acc

After my steering column question fell on deaf ears, can anyone help me with the following?

My car sometimes suffers a stutter at 3.5-4k revs under WOT, sometimes the car will rev through it and sometimes it won't. It is at the OPC for its annual service (since I need to renew the warranty), they say they cannot find any cause of this problem, which I think is a load of rubbish. I mentioned they should strip the diaphragm, actuators, etc and give them a good clean since they catch a lot of crap from the rear tyres. Maybe a diaphragm is split, though I have not heard any honking sound.

Also, I have given them some new Techart tips to fit to the Techart sports exhaust. They say due to the nature of the exhaust system, one tip will be ~1-2 further back than the other. Can this be right?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Martyn.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:59 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

sounds like your spark plugs man....
Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

I am far from an expert, but, I had a similar experience recently on the track at a de. I was using 93 octane gas when this was happening. Between sessions I filled about a 1/4 tank with 100 octane and the problem was solved. My situation may have been completely different from yours but it is something to consider.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:27 AM
MOD500
Racer

Thanks for the replies.

The spark plugs have been changed this service, so if they are the culprit, then hopefully it will be sorted.

I had though about fuel too, but I never use anything other than 97 or 98 octane petrol.

I going to ring the OPC now.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I think it is fairly common to have your exhaust tips a little different from each other. Mine are. It's kind of like the exhaust on a 60's Triumph motorcycle. They were never level with each other
Old 05-12-2005, 01:48 PM
EThec
Racer

MOD500,

I am suffering from almost the exact same problem. You can click my avatar and search my posts to see the thread. My car will start to cut out under WOT around 4000rpm in 4th and higher gears. Does not do it in 1st-3rd. At 9/10th's throttle it pulls fine. Still i know i am not getting the cars full potential. I have checked my hoses and tried highger octane fuel to no avail. Since my car due for a 45k service I will be taking it to an expert to have sorted. Some feel it's an ignition issue or an overboost issue. Either way it's beyond my abilities. I spoke to Andial and will probably take the car to them some time in the next week or so.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Please check your MAF, plug wires and plugs..
Old 05-13-2005, 02:54 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Please check your MAF, plug wires and plugs..
Knock sensors as well - all these items can cause your problem. In my case it was MAF, knock sensor and plugs. In that order.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:29 PM
MOD500
Racer

Update....

Spoken to the OPC and after much pressure they have driven the car further and experienced the stutter, hooray!!! This occasional fault is supposedly caused by one wastegate intermittently sticking open causing the problem. So they are replacing the whole turbo under warranty. I mentioned I would prefer both the turbos changing considering the mileage on the car (60k), but unless the other unit fails they cannot do so.

Would it be ok to run one new and one original turbo? I am trying to procure the old unit from them to send it away to be refurbished, so I can fit it and have new blowers both sides.

EThec, mine only played in 4, 5, and 6th too.

Scott, thanks for that, the dealer is going to try to set them up as equal as possible.

Thanks for all the replies.

Martyn.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:13 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I am still on the turbo learning curve....but:

-the conventional wisdom seems to be that "if one turbo fails, the other is often close behind".

-if I understand your statement, you would not be able to take a turbo from one side, refurbish it, and then put it in the other side....as they are constructed right/left dependent.

Glad you found out the problem! I am sure you can find a leak on the other turbo SOMEWHERE to justify both replaced under warranty......

Good luck, Marc

Last edited by Marc in AK; 05-14-2005 at 03:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Stutter under Acc