Sponsored by:

Dyno Tuning Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin is wearing the white t-shirt that he was so proud to not get dirty yesterday, Gunter is wearing the grey sweatshirt and jeans and the guy in the back wearing red is another Kevin, an employee of AMS.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

"It's funny but the bypasses are too restrictive."

Adison... can you explain this? Are you saying the muffler bypasses are more retrictive then the Techart muffler? How did you determine that? Yipes. This may cost me some dough.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, seems to me the restriction is in your stock cats. Inquiring minds want to know what Gunter says.

Greg H.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke to Marc today. He has informed me that they have changed the parameters for the dyno pulls. They now last only 20-25 seconds. The air flow in this room is amazing. If you are in SoCal this is the place to go for dyno pulls.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:54 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve, the bypass and techart muffler are both too restrictive for Gunter as they are approximately 53mm as opposed to 70mm recommendation. Greg, it is true I am losing some top end due to the stock cats but not as much as you would think!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

The topic should be what is the "Best build sheet" or hardware components that will maximize your engine performance within set parameters.. We all have to pick one combination and trust one combination or Tuner to maximize performance. Gunter brought the "Best Recommended" Cat system for me on the plane. He brought me 10 sets of cat cells. These cells are full diameter cells, most tuners will use smaller diameter units. Cargraphic uses 115mm diameter cells which is the same size as stock.. Look at the stock cell that I cut open. The inside tube is the 115mm diameter. The "recommended" cells that Gunter and I welded will directly weld to the outside of the STOCK outside diameter, is 138mm and it is 1/2 the length of the stock cartridge.

The object is to reduce the maximum backpressure. Cat bypasses are not a solution for most people. With these 138mm units, Gunter can tune them so that one cannot tell any power or torque loss. Being that they are larger in diameter, there is more surface area, with less restriction. Stock cats are not a long term solution. The backpressure will increase more heat generated in your engine. Basically your engine will work harder and produce more heat.. Addisons headers and turbo's were glowing white/red.. I wish that we took a picture.. Awesome sight..
Old 05-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Shoot. I just had the wrong sport cats put on my car.

Greg H.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Shoot. I just had the wrong sport cats put on my car.

Greg H.
Greg, sometimes it pays to be lazy. Kevin is making me a "special" cat!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:12 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have received alot of PM's and emails.. There were some set parameters for this tuning. This program was and not is going to yield the most HP.. The Stage 2 Zero Clearance turbochargers were ran as high a 1.65 bars through Redline.. I know from experience that we can get 1.8bars out of these units.. However, this is not good programming and good "safe engine" practices.. Gunter had excellent control over the wastegates!!! The max boost was set at 1.2bars!

Not only did we run two cars, we ran multiple programs as baselines. We also ran the Stock ECU, we ran a Genuine Porsche 450 Kit (designed for K24's, but we ran the larger Stage 2's with interesting results).. It is going to take awhile to sift through all the logs and data..
Old 05-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Kevin

Keep up the good work, this is great "live" information, thanks for sharing.

Will you be doing any stage 3 ZC turbos, or higher? I hope we can see some dyno charts from the different setups that you are working on, with a properly setup MAHA dyno, the results will be much more reliable.

You guys must be exhausted!
Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 04:29 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jean;

There is a new complete package that is being planned. This package will not be a "bolt-on" kit. It will require a topend rebuild to address a few issues like rods, and camshafts. It will also address the issue of camshaft timing that raised it's ugly head these last few days. We will be backdating the sprockets to early style 964/930.. It will not require one to split that case, but one would have to look at the rod bearings to be for certain.

There will be intercooler and twin plugging and proven flame rings. There will be a new turbocharger design for this kit. It is a brand new compressor wheel from KKK.. 100 cell cats will be used with 70mm muffler bypasses or 70mm mufflers.

This kit will not be for everyone. It would be a good option for someone that has to jump into his engine to replace the valve guides...

We have a 39meg video of Gunter in action if someone could host it..
Old 05-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was instructed to remove the rear bumper due to the fact that we were running many ECU options and many pulls were done.. The heat would have melted the bumper.. The Maha comes with a cooling fan system that produces 70+ air blowing at the car, on the car, over the car and under the car.. With the amount of air that was flowing over the car, the data logging was definately showing its benifit.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:48 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Kevin
Awsome work setting this up and please keep ALL the details coming
Very interesting what you say about the cats and the cam timing. My original sport cats were from TTP (when Gunther worked there around '98) and I bought them as "monoliths" (that's what the Germans called them) which were welded into the system. My new cats are a lot bigger and I presume they will be the same as the ones Gunther is using now. I don't know what you are using for mufflers but I can highly recommend the Cargraphic race mufflers - no resonance, not too loud but will do the business in minimising back pressure:
Race exhaust system for P93 Turbo /GT2
CARP93GT2ETR
Sport backbox set Race version
Price: 1.395,00 EUR /6

My cam timing was redone after an engine refresh done by my local shop who SHOULD know how do do cam timing, but RS said it was out on one side and had to be done again - obviously very important to have it spot on before you start the tuning process.

Last edited by TB993tt; 05-13-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have HJS 100 cell cats #e5516389-01 and per Klaus Sterhaus at HJS this is the catalyst porsche
uses for the "911 Cup race cars",is this a good cat for our power needs?
doesnt any muffler that uses porsches ring clamp to attach tips too restrictive?,
meaning the new fabspeed mufflers with black "slip sleeve" would be much better?
p.s. (I have stock cats for sale if anyone is interested-pm me)
marty k
fantastic work guys!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Any updates guys on the final result, any dyno sheets, before and after, driving experiences etc..?

Please let us know !

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuning Today!!!