Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright guys, it's suspension time!! I already have M030 ROW Springs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alright guys, it's suspension time!! I already have M030 ROW Springs...

and I really don't think I am going to turn this thing into a track junkie car, so what should I get?? I currently have stock shocks and sway bars with ROW M030 springs.

These are my goals and issues when considering options:

1) I have the 19" RUF wheels, so I have to take clearance into consideration. If I track it, I will use the original 18" hollow twists. I do want a slightly lower ride than the M030 springs but I have to be careful with how much room I have.
2) I definitely want less body roll than now.
3) I want Rebound similar to the HD's I had on my cab.

Here are what I see my choices to be, I'd like other TT owner opinions:
1) Keep the stock sway bars and the current M030 springs and just add Bilstein HD's. I had the bilsteins HD's with H&R springs on my 96 cab and I LOVED it. THe car was so tight for everyday driving but not too much. Possibly upgrade sways as well, but to what?
2) Go the popular route with PSS-9's. Everyone on here seems to love them and they are a more serious route, but I will probably only track it two to three times a year max due to owning a company and having two kids under five.

I know the easy route is to just get HD's and maybe sway bars, although I don't know if I need anything better than stock sways. The PSS-9's seem to be the poular choice, but are they too stiff for everyday driving.

Thanks for everyone's help. I am ready to get rid of these stock shocks.

Robert
Old 04-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Robert...for what it worth. I replaced my cab stock suv set up with M0303/HD's and the difference was awesome. BUT, my TT has the Pss9's and TRG sway bars 22mm rear 25mm frt...and the stability and ride is noticeably much better. The Pss9s on medium setting only seem slightly stiffer than the HD setup and the car turns on a rail. No problems with daily driving......

I would go with the Pss9's after experiencing both setups.......with a car like the TT..I would go all the way and get the sways too.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Robert:

I'd concur with Marc.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:23 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert, you sound like me a few months ago when trying to make the choice between the HD/ROW or PSS9's. Like yourself I have young ones and will not be able to do more than 2-3 DE's a season. I went with the HD's set-up rather than the extra $ for the PSS9. I wanted to spend other funds on Diverter Valves, new Helmet etc. The ride is better the my stock pos and have no regrets given its a not a daily driver. You already have a advantage with your ROW springs by having to purchase the struts only unless your springs are tired too. For me its a matter of did I really need the more expensive options or spend it elsewhere.

Just finishing up my first track driving in nearly 10 years I can tell you I have no regrets. The HD's were fine and other money will be spent on seats, tires, harness bar and a oil-cooler. At some point I may go to the better set-up, as Mark said their the best and loyalist litter the board here.

You may want to do the HD's see how you like them on the track and if they work you have the money you didn't spend on the PSS9 system to put elsewhere.

Well what do you know, gotta go to a soccer game.........
Old 04-30-2005, 04:31 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With such a gorgeous car, go for the PSS9 or better yet, the RUF PSS9. I have the RUF and I love it.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Default My two cents

I attended my first DE event with my tt (stock suspension) last weekend. The car was noticeably light at speed, and delayed in steering response. I had the opportunity to drive PSS-9 equipped cars last weekend as well, and they were awesome. The adjustable shocks means that you can set the suspension firm for DE events and then softening for daily driving. It's a great combination.

I asked for a lot of advice before I bought, and here's what I found to be the consistent theme. Go with the Porsche Carrera RS swaybars front and rear. I ordered mine from the local dealer, got a 15% PCA discount, and had them here in two days for $1,300 (expedited from Germany). I ordered the PSS-9's from shox.com (no affiliation) for $2,200 delivered, and will have the entire setup installed, aligned, and balanced for another $1,000.

The net effect is a huge improvement over the US suspension, and based upon the M030 owners I talked with who upgraded to PSS-9s, it's a big improvement over the ROW suspension too.

Jim
Old 04-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like exactly what I thought....HD's would probably suit me just fine but I won't be disappointed if I go with the PSS-9's due to the ability to dial them in. Who knows, I may like them stiffer than I trhink if I get them and ride on them for a while.

Thanks for everyone's input so far
Old 05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

What does a set of PSS9's run? It seems there is always huge disparity in pricing from one place to the next. Is there a place to get a great deal?

Also, my HD's had the extra thread to lower the car the intended amount. Are there different sets on the PSS-9's or not?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Default Prices in previous post

Robert:

The prices I paid are in my previous post.

Jim
Old 05-02-2005, 04:30 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

The Bilstein HD unless re valved are too harsh for the Mo30 springs. This is an all wheel drive car not like the cab. With everyone on the Pss9 bandwagon there should be losts of sets of of M030 shocks sitting in someone's garage. How many track events do you plan on doing and are you going to run R tires? Less than 4 events stick with the M030 set up. BTW, I know several stock 993tt which run high 1:32 with the MO30 and R tires at Willow Springs raceway. Thats fast for a street car. There is no magic pill for suspension that replaces seat time.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
nman413
Drifting

Buy my JICs so I can put Motons in...
Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Den
Banned

All this information is great. Do the PSS-9's lower the ride? If so how much? My tt is at the Euro (non USA) height and for the sake of my turbo S front spoiler I really don't want the car any lower.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Woodster
Drifting

My suspension is original I assume...
How do I tell which springs I have in my car?
can someone tell me how many fingers you can get over your front tires
and between the fender lip?? I have about one finger only so could mine be
ROW springs??
Marty K.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Woodster
Stock springs have orange paint and green paint brush marks, as I recall. Don't know about the scientific method of how many fingers. I'd measure from the floor to the fender lip.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:27 AM
tlark
Drifting

Woodster, by looking at your avaitor your car isn't stock. You can darn near put you fist between the tire and fender on US cars w/o row or lower springs.

Quick Reply: Alright guys, it's suspension time!! I already have M030 ROW Springs...