Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally looking to join in the fun!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
ButchV
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally looking to join in the fun!

Hi Everyone,

I've been out here just watching/lurking for awhile, trying to determine whether I was ready (and able!) to step up to the plate. Having reached that point, I'm now on the quest for a nice TT to join the likes of you!

So, without further ado, any thoughts/insight on the two that are at Princeton Porsche?

http://www.princetonporsche.com/preo...TOKEN=13314233

http://www.princetonporsche.com/preo...TOKEN=13314233

Although they have low miles (esp the '96), they don't seem to warrant their asking prices. Am I missing something, and what would be a proper starting point for pricing?

Any help that folks can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks!
ButchV
Old 04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Butch,

There are certain dealers who have very low mileage cars and ask outrageous prices for them. Some are not willing to negotiate and will sit with the cars for a long time if necessary.

Unless you want a museum piece and never intend to drive the car, these don't seem to make sense. As soon as you start putting miles on these types of cars, you destroy their "premium" value. Plus cars that have not been driven have their own set of problems (dried seals and the like).

If you plan to drive and enjoy your car, you are better off getting a car with 30k miles or so for a much more reasonable price, say somewhere in the 60k range.

Either way, plan on spending after the purchase to address issues. All cars with original suspension will need new shocks for example. There are always some things which will need attention or upgrades as desired, so a good rule of thumb is to be prepared to spend another 5 -10% of purchase price.

There are always people searching for their "perfect" car. The fun is in taking a car and making it perfect!

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:33 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Butch,

I purchased my TT about 1 1/2 years ago and I also considered this one from Princeton Porsche when I was looking, but the price was pretty darn high and it didnt exactly meet the configuration I was exactly looking for, which was black/black, aluminum trim etc. I ended up spending 10k less for a 1997 with less miles by buying from a private party. From the pictures, the car looks immaculate so I thought I would just give them a call to see if they would bugde on price and at the time they were completely confident that they would sell this car at their asking price and refused to negotiate.

That was my only experience with them. In the end, I am really glad I waited as my gut was telling me that this was not to be my car.

Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Butch, The red one sure is nice looking (not biased...). I agree with the group in that if you are purchasing the car to drive on a decently frequent basis, you are not always getting a better car if it has low mileage. Sure, cosmetically the car may be better than some but most of the cars of this class have been taken care of well. For the amount of premium you are paying for low mileage, you can repair and upgrade pretty much anything that would go wrong with the car for many year (worst case). Regarding the specific cars, the red one looks to have had the suspension changed (possibly ROW) and I'm sure you know the steering wheel isn't original. Other than that, if you are willing to pay that price for it, they look great.

Steve
Red 97TT
Old 04-29-2005, 10:28 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wayyyyyyy overpriced. 2004 GT3s are at an ask not much higher (see Rennlist classifieds).

OldGuy had a nice tt, recently sold. Check out the threads, and that will give you a better idea of what to look for and prices. You shoudl absolutely be in the 60s. Not 80s, unless it has around 5k miles and you are going to watch it collect dust in the garage.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:34 AM
ButchV
4th Gear

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your inputs -- they confirmed my thoughts, since I believe these cars are meant to be driven

Nothing is pushing me to get one today, today, today! and I'm willing to wait for the one my heart tells me to get.

As I continue my quest, Steve, your point about the suspension on the red '96 -- how did you discern that? In a broader sense, is there some handy-dandy primer on 993TT ownership and what to know/look out for, beyond a buyer's guide level of detail?

I'm coming from my BMW M3, where I can talk almost all day about what sound X means, what oil change interval, what tire pressure, what tires, blah, blah, blah... everyone here is really helpful, and I'm still learning to use the search, but if there's a compendium out that y'all could point me towards, that'd be great.

Again, thanks for the input.
ButchV
Old 04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

I think these cars should be in the 60's and 70's but these dealors seem to be holding them as collectables. Especially a large Porsche dealorship which does not need to sell them to make ends meet. These cars are now pushing 10 years old and when the 997 turbo arrives they will be 2 generations old.
I love the 993 but am starting to think an 01 996 with low milage for under 70k might be the better deal....
Old 04-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Buy somewhere in the mid to high 60's and expect to spend another $5k to make everything
right after that (oil leaks, power steering belt, updated oil lines, clutch if necessary, shocks
or coil overs, etc.)
good luck, fantastic cars!
mk
Old 04-29-2005, 12:28 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by ButchV
I'm coming from my BMW M3, where I can talk almost all day about what sound X means, what oil change interval, what tire pressure, what tires, blah, blah, blah... everyone here is really helpful, and I'm still learning to use the search, but if there's a compendium out that y'all could point me towards, that'd be great.
One of the beauties of these cars is their incredible reliability. I purchased my 993TT in February of last year. I've since completed three track days, two at Portland and one in Seattle. In each of the track days, I was able to run every lap, every session and at the pace that I desired. Most of my friends' cars run out of brakes, or they have problems during the day. I just jump in, turn the key and drive, no hassles. I even drive the car to and from the track.

You may never get the chance to learn what the sounds mean because nothing seems to break. It is an amazing car, so much so, that I'm looking for another one to use as a track car only.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

fc, update your pictures so we can see your car!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acropora
fc, update your pictures so we can see your car!
They are fixed now, I totally forgot to update those when I moved providers. If you click on "Pics" now in my sig, it will take you to the correct URL. One day, I'll put the 964 Turbo pics up as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Here's another one which I don't think I've put up before:

Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

That is beautiful. I just purchased an Iris Blue car. Is that what your color is???
Very nice.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Midnight blue metallic with marble gray interior.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Outstanding car. Use it well. Congratulations.

Quick Reply: Finally looking to join in the fun!