Intercooler Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

JIm,

Thanks for sharing this great initiative. Just yesterday I installed my FVD engine in my car to test the suspension, brakes etc.. before my beast engine arrives from the US and I faced this exact same issue. The engine has the same TTP Cargraphic I/C and I was not able to close my engine lid (a GT2 tail!) this I/C sits too high and backwards, allowing for a lot of fresh air to be wasted going in all different directions I think..
Old 02-14-2005, 07:03 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Jim
Interesting stuff I have the Andial/davtron? before and after temperature guages which can be be used for steady state measurements. My testing was done at a steady 100mph which (on my car) was just "under" positive boost but was still producing heated air and under the same ambient temp conditions the stock I/C gave an 8% lower intake number than the "V" I/C. The problem with these guages is they do not react to changes very quickly. If one plugs in a hammer and watches intake temp while gunning the motor in say 3rd to 7000rpm, the actual temperature measured on the hammer changes very quickly and the Andial guages can't keep up. I suppose the definitive test is to data log the temp curve and do runs back to back with the 2 I/Cs after running at a steady speed for a set period on the same roads with the same ambient conditions. Years ago I grilled the maker - Herr Pietz about why his I/C didn't appear to give better temp reduction (I hadn't done the "test" by then) and to be fair he didn't say it would cool any more than stock, he kept going on about it flowing better.
One thing you didn't mention is the fact that whilst the "V" I/C is much bigger than the stock in most respects, the stock actually has a longer run through the cores. The super efficient Secan is notable for the very long run through a very thin core.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jean:

I see you found the same dilemma...ugh. What chaps me is that without some sort of baffle plate, I cannot see how this IC would give better results as there would be so much flow loss around all of the open spaces on top.

TB:

As part of the machine work clean up today, I am planning to fill and measure the core volumes. I will try and take some photos as things progress.

It would be nice to have a good hot, high flow air source to bench thest these things. Ah, a good old thermo class lab experiment...

More later

Quick Reply: Intercooler Upgrade Questions