Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA 993 owner considering the big move up to a TT....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NA 993 owner considering the big move up to a TT....

I am posting this here since I may be joining you guys soon.... I have had a 911 for 8 years and my current 993 for five years. I am thinking about taking the TT plunge. Here is what I posted on the NA 993 board....comments are welcome. Thanks.

Previously posted in 993 forum:

Guys. I hate to admit it, but as much as I love my car and all the things I have done to it to personalize and make it my own (all in good taste I might add ), I am actually considering moving up to a 993TT.

Am I crazy for wanting to spend another 30k (+ or -) to give up my cabriolet top just to get a TT and another 120+ HP?? I have wanted a TT forever, even when I bought my current car. But now that I am actually considering it, it isn't the car I am questioning, it is the swap for a pristine 1996 993 Carrera 2 cabriolet + $30,000 give or take for the same car with a big set of brass *****.

I guess I am actually asking myself a rhetorical question at this point, I was just wondering if some of you had suffered through this same dilemma and what conclusion you came to.

Thanks for your insght in advance.

993's in some form or fashion forever!!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you noted, just more of all the things you love about your current car.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

Have you driven a 993tt. Does it make your heart thump enough? If not I would stay with the cab. If the extra power and looks do it for you, as it did me, then I say go for it.

You can always (albeit expensivley) go back to the cab.

My concern would be the cab vs. the coup issue. That is one feature you might dearly miss.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have driven one 993TT and it was unfortunately a bad experience. They are so rare in Nashville, that I saw one for sale at the BMW dealer and raced to get there and drive it.

I took it up the interstate and got on it only for a second before it felt like the whole front end was about to vibrate off. I immediately thought it must be flat spotted tires from not being driven in awhile, so I kept driving but it got worse, not better. I took it back immediately to the dealer and told them. They called me a day later and said the front driver's side suspension was very messed up including a broken control arm (I think). Anyway, they said it would be fixed within a week and I could come drive it again.

I called a week later and the car was gone. It was a white TT with 30K on the odometer, and it sold for about 62-63,000 around two years ago. If tyhe suspension was damaged, I am not sure I would have wanted it anyway. It was rumored the guy who owned it tracked it quite a bit, so there could have been an undisclosed mishap somewhere along the way.

Now, having said that, I have driven a 996 TT and it was an absolute blast the pure rush was enough for me to want more, but I love the 993 body and the fact that it's the last of the air-cooled legends. There is also alot of assured reliability that goes along with that last statement as well.

What is funny is that you can go get a 2001 or possibly even a 2002 996TT for the same money as a 1996-1997 993TT. Talk about the market value telling the story!!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

I owned a 996tt for a short while. It is a different animal. The power is more accesible in the lower rpms. The 993tt needs to be in the higher rpm range before it really gets going. At least that is my experience. All I am saying is, don't think the 993 will respond the same way a 996 does.

I too prefer the 993 body. I have had the car for about 4 years, and had major mods done to it with no problems at all.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

So did you drop your car off at Viper Bob's and go back and get it a month later? Or did you buy it from out there and some of it was already done? Just curious as he is a long way from St. Louis.

Robert
Old 01-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

I sent the turbos and the ecu out to Bob. Had the 97 ecu and they re-programed it. Then they did the turbos. Sent back all the other necessary parts to my mechanic. Took about 5-6 weeks, but it was well worth the wait.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:55 AM
ken garchow
Instructor

Default i am having the opposite thoughts

robert have had an S, C4S and now a turbo. before that i had a 964 cab.

i missed a cab on those nice days, bought a boxster to go with it for a while, but sold it since my kids wanted to ride in also(no room), so i bought an older 3 series cab for all of us. they are priced pretty good and you dont have to worry about kid accidents.

now the kids dont like the cab (once they rode in it they said, it was to windy, and always wanted me to stop and put the top up ( but they love to play in it in the garage).

so now i am thinking of how to turn both cars in to one and have turbo like power and in a cab. that would leave an extra space in the garage for wifes car.

I dont think i would go back to a NA car unless it could be a wide body 993 speedster w/a 3.8 and a short box and they didnt make to many of them if any.

in my mind that would be a close call to a turbo if you are open top oriented, otherwise the turbo is a spoiler and not much else can touch it in terms of fun, fit and finish.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 AM
ken garchow
Instructor

sorry i also ment to suggest a 996 turbo cab, i say that because the rear seats are a little bigger, the top doesnt need a boot when put down, plenty of good power, and it is one of the best looking 996's out there to me. they just need to come down more in price.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:33 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ken garchow
sorry i also ment to suggest a 996 turbo cab, i say that because the rear seats are a little bigger, the top doesnt need a boot when put down, plenty of good power, and it is one of the best looking 996's out there to me. they just need to come down more in price.
that shouldnt take too long, especially for the 04 examples.

porsche really screwed over the people with 04s when they released the 05 Turbo S, which basically included 30k of options/goodies for only 10k premium over the base model.

blah blah, you know the rest.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robert,
The top issue is the only issue. I still have a ragtop for the really nice days and I really the experience but the 356 give enjoyment a different way. I.m not sure I could give up all my topless driving. Good luck. Dr Ken is on the right track. Get the TT and a Boxster (used 28-30K) and you will have power and a cab. It is easy for me to spend your $.
T
Old 01-31-2005, 12:13 PM
ken garchow
Instructor

oklahome foregin has a 964 cab, wide body, turbo for sale @ $29,900. owner took a stolen 964 cab and a wrecked 964 turbo and made one car. white/black
Old 01-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

robert- remember, you can supercharge your cab for lots of performance, or do an engine swap and drop a TT motor in there. I think the supercharger is the best value and would be lots of fun for street with no lag.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Um, there sure are some issues dropping a TT engine in a NA body... I would say, stay away from that.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel
Um, there sure are some issues dropping a TT engine in a NA body... I would say, stay away from that.
Rassel,

My understanding is that it is not difficult and there is no major work to be done. In 964s, you have an issue with the oil tank clearance which you have to move to the front.

It would make sense only if you can sell the N/A engine, or you can take the route of Princeton (993 board) and turn a N/A engine into a TT, but that is another story.

Robert, If you like the 993TT and you can afford one, buy it, otherwise you will regret it every time you see one passing buy. An engine swap might cost you $15k more rather than spending $30k.

Quick Reply: NA 993 owner considering the big move up to a TT....