Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were looking for the world's best 993TT...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:38 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just another 14 year old kid reading Hot Rod in the back row of his remedial English class.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know this guy, but a friend of mine bought 2 993tt transmissions from him, both with twisted mainshafts...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:20 PM
stockboost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Just another 14 year old kid reading Hot Rod in the back row of his remedial English class.

Funny you say that! Our 993 Twin was pictured/small featured in Hot Rod Magazine for fastest street machines!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 PM
stockboost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I don't know this guy, but a friend of mine bought 2 993tt transmissions from him, both with twisted mainshafts...
Things break and bend when you make power! And for the record, those transmissions were sold with the buyer knowing completely what was wrong with them.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh yea, I wasn't implying anything devious, just the point that it takes a lot of stress to twist mainshafts. The G50/52s have a stronger mainshaft...
Old 01-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

stockboost - im in CT. id be interested in learning more about your TT as im looking to do more stuff to my car. may i ask where you are located and more info about your car.
thanks.
rob
Old 01-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

My 993tt is easily the fastest car in my garage.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Woodster
Drifting

STOCK BOOST: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE AWAY THE FARM AND YOUR "SECRET HORSEPOWER
TRICKS" JUST GIVE US SOME PROOF OF ACTUAL PERFORMANCE (WE PREFER 60-130MPH), AND
TELL US ABOUT THE CAR, IE. CAN IT GO AROUND CORNERS AS WELL AS RUN THE QUARTER
MILE, ETC. WE LIKE STRAIGHT LINE ACCERERATION BUT WE LOVE!!!! PERFORMANCE (CORNERING
BRAKING, ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE A TRACK WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE ANYTHING BUT A FEW
TWISTS ON THE SUSPENSION AND MAYBE TIRES... GIVE US SOMETHING TO GO ON
Old 01-27-2005, 04:12 PM
stockboost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MARTY KAYE
STOCK BOOST: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE AWAY THE FARM AND YOUR "SECRET HORSEPOWER
TRICKS" JUST GIVE US SOME PROOF OF ACTUAL PERFORMANCE (WE PREFER 60-130MPH), AND
TELL US ABOUT THE CAR, IE. CAN IT GO AROUND CORNERS AS WELL AS RUN THE QUARTER
MILE, ETC. WE LIKE STRAIGHT LINE ACCERERATION BUT WE LOVE!!!! PERFORMANCE (CORNERING
BRAKING, ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE A TRACK WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE ANYTHING BUT A FEW
TWISTS ON THE SUSPENSION AND MAYBE TIRES... GIVE US SOMETHING TO GO ON
It can't go around corners as well as it goes in a straight line. Just your basic setup there, Big Reds and PSS9's on the FM-5's with a good drad radial.

Not that I mind the attention, but first and foremost, I didn't enter this thread claiming to have the best 993 Twin in the world, I commented on a post of "550 whp unatainable" on a stock motor. For the record, this was done with 2 to4e's with stage 5 wheels and a custom intercooler.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I think the misunderstanding arose from the fact that most of us meant reliable, without lifting heads, and likely to last more than a few weeks. E.G. not a hand grenade
Old 01-27-2005, 05:40 PM
stockboost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
I think the misunderstanding arose from the fact that most of us meant reliable, without lifting heads, and likely to last more than a few weeks. E.G. not a hand grenade
Glad that the misunderstanding is out of the way.

I don't remember how long the car was making 580, I wanna say 6 months, but i'm not totally sure. Same turbo's to4e's.

We've actually got a customer car that makes almost 500 whp through stock mufflers! And a handfull of 993's that make in the ballpark of 515-530 rwhp, stock motors. We've done a few 996 twins that make comparable numbers as well with boltons, but that's a whole different scenario.

I say rwhp because we don't chance blowing out the viscus(how do u spell that?) on a awd dyno so we disconect the fwd for the dyno runs.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by stockboost
Not that I mind the attention, but first and foremost, I didn't enter this thread claiming to have the best 993 Twin in the world, I commented on a post of "550 whp unatainable" on a stock motor. For the record, this was done with 2 to4e's with stage 5 wheels and a custom intercooler.
Now that you are starting to give us more details, we could continue to discuss further. If you built this setup with the Garretts T04E/ 50 or 60? and stage 5 wheels your exhaust system was not stock either, as you must have removed the cats and had an almost open single muffler in the center rear section instead of the stock 2 mufflers. Probably headers as well. This setup will in anyway give you a very important lag, up to 4000 RPMs you would be around 400 ft/lbs of torque at a max, which is considerably lower to what TB993TT's car is doing for instance, I don't see you accelerating faster from zero with such a torque curve.
To clarify further, what I said in my previous post is that with a stock 3.6 engine (read non modified heads) at 1.2 Bar and a mass air flow system you CANNOT be reaching appox. 750 Flywheel hp (620 rwhp as claimed by you), or anywhere close to it. Also stock injectors, stock single fuel pump? I don't think so. You would need to crank up boost to at least 1.5 Bar to get that output, if you ever get there since your T04 turbos will be overheating at those levels unless you have a heck of an I/C among others (most likely you used a Spearco core 2-176, the largest you can fit in there?). What kind of charge temps do you see at those levels?
Concerning blowing off the heads, agreed that a setup like this (that takes you to 620 RWHP and NOT 1.2 Bar) will not take you very far.

Please keep more information coming Jim, you haven't disclosed any secrets yet, these are all BTDT stuff.

Last edited by Jean; 01-27-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:14 AM
nicholasgillis
3rd Gear

Has anyone ever seen a 993 Targa Turbo? That is my ultimate dream of a Porsche.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
stockboost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jean
Now that you are starting to give us more details, we could continue to discuss further. If you built this setup with the Garretts T04E/ 50 or 60? and stage 5 wheels your exhaust system was not stock either, as you must have removed the cats and had an almost open single muffler in the center rear section instead of the stock 2 mufflers. Probably headers as well. This setup will in anyway give you a very important lag, up to 4000 RPMs you would be around 400 ft/lbs of torque at a max, which is considerably lower to what TB993TT's car is doing for instance, I don't see you accelerating faster from zero with such a torque curve.
To clarify further, what I said in my previous post is that with a stock 3.6 engine (read non modified heads) at 1.2 Bar and a mass air flow system you CANNOT be reaching appox. 750 Flywheel hp (620 rwhp as claimed by you), or anywhere close to it. Also stock injectors, stock single fuel pump? I don't think so. You would need to crank up boost to at least 1.5 Bar to get that output, if you ever get there since your T04 turbos will be overheating at those levels unless you have a heck of an I/C among others (most likely you used a Spearco core 2-176, the largest you can fit in there?). What kind of charge temps do you see at those levels?
Concerning blowing off the heads, agreed that a setup like this (that takes you to 620 RWHP and NOT 1.2 Bar) will not take you very far.

Please keep more information coming Jim, you haven't disclosed any secrets yet, these are all BTDT stuff.

This is what I get for disclosing which turbos we were using *sigh*

No Jean, do not assume that we used an aftermarket header. Aftermarket exhaust(obviously), high flow cats. Who said stock injectors, who said stock fuel pump, who said stock anything besides the heads and motor?

You're leaving out major gaps in your "theory" of how flat 6's make good usuable power.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Woodster
Drifting

the interesting plot thickens...

Quick Reply: If you were looking for the world's best 993TT...