Sponsored by:

Factory Power Kits - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 03:47 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Power Kits - worth it?

I'm new here. Just bought a 993tt (Black/Tan) S body kit, 36 Kms (~23k miles), certified with one year warranty!!! As part of the deal, I traded in my stunningly beautiful 964 3.6 Turbo (~380/390bhp)... This car will be very sorely missed.

My 993tt is being shipped, so I should have it in about 7-10 days (the hours feel like days)

My 993tt is bog-standard with no mods whatsoever (apart from the visual S kit mod). I'm considering a number of upragde options but need some help with a few bits and pieces. At the moment, I'm only considering Porsche factory upragdes so I don't loose my warranty.

1. 430bhp vs. 450bhp: I was told that performance for the 430 powerkit and the 450 powerkit can only be really felt above 180kms/h. Is this correct?

2. This might sound like a dumb question, but is it worth upgrading from 408bhp to 430bhp? Would I really feel the difference? What sort of performance increase would I get on 0-100kms and 0-160kms?

3. 408bhp will hit 100kms in about 4.5sec and 160kms in about 9.2sec, are these figures conservative for the 993tt?

4. Would I loose any turn-in performance with 19' wheels?

Alternatively, I hold back (is this possible?). I keep my car in bog standard form for about 2-3 years, save all the $$$ (he slowly looks over his shoulder to ensure that his wife is not in the vacinity) then go for, what is in my opnion, the ultimate upragde/mod, a RUF Turbo R conversion.

One last thing; an observation I've made while I've been browsing this forum over the last few months. Hands-up if there is anyone on this forum who has a 993tt in standard form (with no performance mods)... I love it!

I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks, Ziad
Old 10-22-2004, 06:38 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

This might sound like a dumb question, but did you check the archives? These questions have all appeared before.

Regarding the 19" wheels, the relative difference in wheel weight will be important. Which wheels are on the car now and which 19" wheels are you considering?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Ziad,

Good to see you here. I see you got a 993TT finally. Where did you buy it from?

Concerning mods, there is so much covered here that you could spend days reading. I would forget about exactly what hp you want to get to, more often than not, it is very hard to tell unless you dyno the car, which is very unlikely in Bahrain.
These cars benefit big time from a ecu upgrade, unlike N/A, then you might want (sorry, you must!) consider an extra oil cooler (large one, cargraphic or similar), and a muffler bypass pipe..and to get close to the 500 level, a pair of turbos, since your car is standard, you have the K16s.. You can go for K24s or better still, send your K16s Imagineauto or Rennsport Systems to have a hybrid conversion made by turbo guru Kevin..
Ideally get the ECU and turbos from the same tuner for best results.
All Bahrain guys are RUF fanatics I see
Once you have done all this you need to consider suspension upgrade.
Enjoy the new ride and contact me privately if there is anything I can help you with.
Jean

Last edited by Jean; 10-22-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Graham,
Not a dumb question. Got a bit carried away in all the excitement. But you are absolutely right, I should have checked - looks like this topic has appeared a lot... sorry!!

Re the wheels, the car has the standard twisty Turbo wheels, which I like, but I'm also considering getting 19' HRE 540 or BBS LM.

Jean,
Good to hear from you... I bought the car from the Dubai Porsche agent (Al Nabooda). It should be on it's way here now. How's your project going?

Your name came up at the last event on the Bahrain F1 track. Did you hear about the last event (about 3 to 4 weeks ago). There was a good turnout with all sorts of cars (including some nutter with who drove his brand new Bentley Continental GT in 45 degrees - I think he blew his radiator or something). Speaking of RUFs, 4 turned up on the day, a YELLOW BIRD !!!, a CTR2, 996 Turbo R and another that is based on a 996 GT2. None of the RUFs went on the track. Got some good pics if you're interested.

I'll email you with some pics of my new car, once I receive.

Kind regards,
Ziad
Old 10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ziad, please do post some pictures here. You will definitely enjoy this car. I was supposed to participate with my 993 GT2 "replica" but faced some delays with my engine and US customs.. Definitely in November!

Please Keep in touch.
Best,
Jean
Old 10-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually I am surprised, 70+ hits and no one other than Graham welcomed a new TT owner living thousands of miles away and asking questions about mods

Seems like unless you post a thread with "I am new here, and here are some pics" no one seems to care!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:21 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Actually I am surprised, 70+ hits and no one other than Graham welcomed a new TT owner living thousands of miles away and asking questions about mods

Seems like unless you post a thread with "I am new here, and here are some pics" no one seems to care!
Ha, you are quite right, Jean. Ziad, please forgive our poor manners, and welcome to our humble little 993TT corner of the Rennlist house. With the S bodykit and the black exterior color, I'll bet your car looks terrific. Many of us are partial to black Porsches and their menacing visages, though I like them in all colors and might one day do it all over again but with a silver exterior. Post pics when you can.

Jean has covered the mod options pretty well. If you know that you're going to go for serious mods in the future, I wouldn't worry about doing the factory 430 or 450 kit now. You will be able to surpass that either with a package from a tuner like Ruf, or by sourcing a combination of parts from various providers, but the latter option pretty much requires that you have reliable access to expert service and repair for your 993TT. If you don't have such service support, then maybe the factory kit is the way to go.

Make sure you get to know what kind of performance and horsepower gains can reasonably and reliably be achieved with mods to your 993TT, the archives here and the information at www.993tt.com are great places to start before you begin dropping serious coin.

Enjoy!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:54 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Ziad! Since you have still time and you do not want to void your warranty, I would wait in the HP/tq mods and do the suspension. After that, as mentioned earlier, I would install an aux oil cooler as you will need this with any HP mod you do.

After the warranty, skies the limit! Have fun.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

Ziad, welcome to the club! Don't know much about the mods you are talking about. Just had a bunch of mods done to my car. Email me if you are interested.

Hey Graham, Why don't you rain on his parade a little. You could just as easily written nothing.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:38 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome Ziad,
Congratulations on your new purchase. I wish you the best of luck making it two years without any upgrades. I know I couldnt do it !But these cars are still awesome even stock.

Maybe just do some coilovers and sways, drop links and uprights,exhaust replacement,short shift kit, wheels and tires, carbon or aluminum bits for the interior( hmmmm what am I forgetting?) and the like while your waiting out your warranty.

Hope your enjoying your new car soon.
-CJ
Old 10-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ziad,

Glad to hear that you have decided to go for a 993TT. I'm looking forward to pictures of a stunning car.

There are a few people here who have different modifications to gain power. Some of them have gone wild and some of them have not..

Now to your questions:

First of all, since you are getting a car with one year warranty, modifications to engine can void that warranty, especially if you change ECU and Turbos. Second, I do recommend that you take a closer look at some handling equipment. The car is powerful from the beginning, however suspension and some other stuff could be really improved.

Porsche did offer two kits to install on the 993TT. One was 430hp and the second one was the same setup as the 993TTS with 450hp. These kits can also be installed afterwards. If you want to keep your warranty, you let Porsche install them (very expensive) otherwise the same kits is available at http://www.carnewal.com. I have no personal experience with carnewal, but I know other people here do and they have been pleased so far.

430HP:
I do believe this is another ECU and an extra oil cooler.

450HP:
A different ECU, extra oil cooler, K24 (instead of the normal K16) Turbos, twin-tip exhaust.

You will feel difference between the K16 and K24. K24 are bigger Turbos with all the benefits but also the seamy side of it. I myself have the 450hp version, and I have a very hard time to find official numbers on that version. I can tell you from my experience that it changes character of the driving, especially on the track. The power isn't "lost" at the end of the rev.band compared to the K16. I therefore think it's a plus. Going from standing still, and acceleration in higher gears isn't really improved if you're not revving enough. Saying 180km/h would be too much. I think you can feel difference at second gear, so it should start around 100km/h.

My suggestion, just as I believe many others, would be to first get the car. Take a few laps around the track and decide if you need more power or better handling. After that, consider if you want to break warrany, and then go for the modification that fits you the best.

Anyway, welcome to the black 993TT gang! Make sure to post pictures and tell us what options are installed!
Cheers

Originally Posted by Ziad
I'm new here. Just bought a 993tt (Black/Tan) S body kit, 36 Kms (~23k miles), certified with one year warranty!!! As part of the deal, I traded in my stunningly beautiful 964 3.6 Turbo (~380/390bhp)... This car will be very sorely missed.

My 993tt is being shipped, so I should have it in about 7-10 days (the hours feel like days)

My 993tt is bog-standard with no mods whatsoever (apart from the visual S kit mod). I'm considering a number of upragde options but need some help with a few bits and pieces. At the moment, I'm only considering Porsche factory upragdes so I don't loose my warranty.

1. 430bhp vs. 450bhp: I was told that performance for the 430 powerkit and the 450 powerkit can only be really felt above 180kms/h. Is this correct?

2. This might sound like a dumb question, but is it worth upgrading from 408bhp to 430bhp? Would I really feel the difference? What sort of performance increase would I get on 0-100kms and 0-160kms?

3. 408bhp will hit 100kms in about 4.5sec and 160kms in about 9.2sec, are these figures conservative for the 993tt?

4. Would I loose any turn-in performance with 19' wheels?

Alternatively, I hold back (is this possible?). I keep my car in bog standard form for about 2-3 years, save all the $$$ (he slowly looks over his shoulder to ensure that his wife is not in the vacinity) then go for, what is in my opnion, the ultimate upragde/mod, a RUF Turbo R conversion.

One last thing; an observation I've made while I've been browsing this forum over the last few months. Hands-up if there is anyone on this forum who has a 993tt in standard form (with no performance mods)... I love it!

I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks, Ziad
Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, Btw... 19" is a bit too much *bling*-*bling* for me. The 18" does a perfect job both performance wise and with the looks. I recommend you take a closer looks at BBS LeMans, they are very neat...
Old 10-23-2004, 01:59 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ziad,

If you want 2 piece BBS LMs let me know , I have a set of centers that are in perfect shape and I don't need, if you can find out where to change the outside rims and you want them, they're yours, just need to pay for shipping of the centers.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!!

I think I'll drive it for a while (when it gets here) and then decide what power mods to go for.

Jean, that is a very generous offer, I'll check to see where the outside rims can be done. Will email you over the next few days.

Have you heard about the GT event in November? I can't wait to see your GT2 there.

I will post some pictures of the last event tomorrow.

Kind regards,
Ziad
Old 10-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Corte Loco
Racer

Hey Jean, how's your car? Did you finish the body? Sorry heard for the delay on the engine, I found the same problem with some parts delivered from Germany to FL. One PITA document for reexport took me one month delay and a couple of $$$. Hope you don't have the same luck. Let us know when all ready.

Regards

Quick Reply: Factory Power Kits - worth it?