Sponsored by:

Evolution Motorsports Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 04:08 PM
yongola
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jean, Goose, et. al.:
Don't worry about the OT discussion. It all helps me decide how to proceed.
While I suspect EVO may be a bit optimistic, I have checked with other tuners in my area, (Phoenix metro), and they seem the most competent. I had one shop tell me yesterday that they would get 500 hp out of my 993tt with an ECU remap and new turbos. No oil cooler, no intercooler, no new diverters, no headers, no new exhaust, no increased fuel flow. You get the idea. ...NO WAY!
That said, I'm not looking to get the BADDEST SOB on the block. I'll leave that to the kids with the big block engines in cars that only go fast in a straight line. I am looking to bump my power to the 500 hp neighborhood.
It appears that EVO can do this in a professional manner, without a large risk to my engine. As a bonus, they are located 20 minutes from my home.
If anyone has any additional thoughts on the quality of their work, I would love to hear them. Otherwise, take the thread where it goes. You all have a great deal of information, and I learn something from every post I read.

Thanks as always for the thoughts,

Dirk
Old 07-22-2004, 04:16 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by yongola
Jean, Goose, et. al.:
While I suspect EVO may be a bit optimistic, I have checked with other tuners in my area, (Phoenix metro), and they seem the most competent. I had one shop tell me yesterday that they would get 500 hp out of my 993tt with an ECU remap and new turbos. No oil cooler, no intercooler, no new diverters, no headers, no new exhaust, no increased fuel flow. You get the idea. ...NO WAY!
That said, I'm not looking to get the BADDEST SOB on the block. I'll leave that to the kids with the big block engines in cars that only go fast in a straight line. I am looking to bump my power to the 500 hp neighborhood.
It appears that EVO can do this in a professional manner, without a large risk to my engine. As a bonus, they are located 20 minutes from my home.
If anyone has any additional thoughts on the quality of their work, I would love to hear them. Otherwise, take the thread where it goes. You all have a great deal of information, and I learn something from every post I read.

Dirk
Dirk
for your 500hp, you don't need a different intercooler (stock one is best up to 540hp) don't need diverter valves or headers - It is good to see you are not getting hung up on the numbers (unlike me ) I am sure EVOs 540hp kit is safe and as I said before give you around 490hp - this is not to be sniffed at and will feel much faster than stock. Expect your 0-124mph to go down from 15.1seconds stock to under 13
Old 07-22-2004, 05:19 PM
yongola
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Dirk
for your 500hp, you don't need a different intercooler (stock one is best up to 540hp) don't need diverter valves or headers - It is good to see you are not getting hung up on the numbers (unlike me ) I am sure EVOs 540hp kit is safe and as I said before give you around 490hp - this is not to be sniffed at and will feel much faster than stock. Expect your 0-124mph to go down from 15.1seconds stock to under 13
TB:
Thanks for the advise. I would like to skip the new intercooler and am undecided regarding new diverters. I will probably go for new exhaust, but mainly to obtain a more aggressive sound. I am also going to spring for a new oil cooler. It was 112 degrees the other day, and we have not hit our high temps yet!

If I can see the power and performance you mention out of the EVO modifications, and do so safely, I will be very happy.

Happy driving,
Dirk
Old 07-22-2004, 05:25 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dirk
Actually, the Billet Diverters are very highly recommended, as you may know the OME diverters are not reliable with increased hp because of its top rubber housing which is known to leak pressure. You are right about the inter-cooler
Not a Bible, but technological improvement worth the money. (Billet Diverters that is.)

P.S. 15.1 seconds! Downtown London!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:29 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jean, Goose, et. al.:

Dirk
Dirk,

Smart man! 20 miles! I wish I had that convenience.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:41 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Dirk
Exhaust is necessary to get this level of power - stock gives too much restriction (back pressure) over 450hp, oil cooler too is obligatory for obvious reasons
Goose
I hear you about those divertor valves, I don't doubt they are nicer than stock, but I have run stock with more than stock power for over 7 years without any problems. I understood it was the 996tts which ate the stock item ?
Old 07-23-2004, 06:55 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuning Package Stage 1

Includes: Level 1 Computer Calibration, Sport Air Filter, EVO Billet Diverter Valves
400/400
470/470
TUN993TTL1

(4 hours)
$2850*

993TT
96-97
Tuning Package Stage 2 "Hammer"

Includes: Stage 1 with the addition of: EVO's Proprietary GIAC Stage 2 HAMMER Computer Calibration, EVO Sport Exhaust, High Floe Catalysts
400/400
500/500
TUN993TTL2H

(8 hours)
$6950
Credibility problem: You really think you can get 500hp (the same horses as Porsches original 400) from the above
remember when EVO use to be ZUCZ performance. they use to say in their add that 500hp was not possible with factory K-16's. Whats changed from then till now that they want to claim they can do it now?? I can't stand it when shops want to B.S. the general public. I do believe Todd puts out a good product but I think he's cought up in the imaginary hp. claims that many shops seem to use in north America.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Biiiig hp

I agree with you, and not trying to defend anyone, but he could have been speaking about standard K16s, whereas now he might be using modern technology applied to turbos. No personal experience (yet) but it seems that they have gained great efficiency through the whole ZC, titanium wheels, etc..
Asking for too much boost from the standard compressor to meet those numbers, you will be going beyond their efficiency levels, and they won't be flowing CFMs anymore, therefore generating heat and making things worse, performance will just drop immediately. With a stock K16, there is no way you would see anywhere close to those numbers. But I will let the turbo experts talk since I am far from being one.
I personnaly like their 600 hp Garrett (Goose, T3 60-1 with boost controller?) setup as described by Goose, provided it includes changing rods, changing valve guides and exhaust valves at a minimum, but then you are talking about twice the cost. The best cost effective option is to buy a fast spooling 520 kit that could be as fast as a 600 hp setup. I just don't understand why I don't do stick to that

The 430hp GT2 has proved to be faster than many 500+ hp tuner cars, even with a worse hp/lb ratio, it's about having the right components I guess.
Jean
Old 07-23-2004, 12:26 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just Info!

993TT 96-97

Tuning Package Stage 1

Includes: Level 1* Computer Calibration, Sport Air Filter, EVO Billet Diverter Valves

400/400
470/470

TUN993TTL1 (4 hours) $2850*

993TT 96-97

Tuning Package Stage 2 "Hammer"

Includes: Stage 1 with the addition of: EVO's Proprietary GIAC Stage 2 HAMMER Computer Calibration, EVO Sport Exhaust, High Floe Catalysts

400/400
500/500

TUN993TTL2H (8 hours) $6950

993TT* 96-97

Tuning Package Stage 3

Includes: Stages 1 & 2 with the addition of: Stage 3 Computer Software Upgrade, EVO Modified GT2 "QuickSpool"* K24 Turbochargers, FPR, Spark plugs, Installation Hardware, Gaskets

400/400
540/540

TUN996TTL3 (12 hours) $11,900
Old 07-23-2004, 07:12 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jean, I'm with you on the fact that turbo technology has changed. Now that you brought it up, with all the ranting and raving about zero clearance k-16 hybrids I'm SHOCKED that no one has a before and after dyno comparison. I don't doubt that they work well, but so far all I see is testimonials on what people think of them. Can some one PLEASE put some dyno sheets out on these turbo's. I'm looking for a reason to change out my K-24's and I just don't see the proof.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by biiig-hp
Can some one PLEASE put some dyno sheets out on these turbo's. .
Old 07-24-2004, 02:04 AM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

TB:
Thanks for the advise. I would like to skip the new intercooler and am undecided regarding new diverters. I will probably go for new exhaust, but mainly to obtain a more aggressive sound. I am also going to spring for a new oil cooler. It was 112 degrees the other day, and we have not hit our high temps yet!

If I can see the power and performance you mention out of the EVO modifications, and do so safely, I will be very happy.

Happy driving,
Dirk
Dirk,

As I mention before do not go with the FVD Mufflers that EVO is recommending with their set up. I had them on for 30-sec, and asked to have them removed. They are so quiet one could put baby to sleep next to them. FABSPEED BYPASS!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:10 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dirk
Exhaust is necessary to get this level of power - stock gives too much restriction (back pressure) over 450hp, oil cooler too is obligatory for obvious reasons
Goose
I hear you about those divertor valves, I don't doubt they are nicer than stock, but I have run stock with more than stock power for over 7 years without any problems. I understood it was the 996tts which ate the stock item ?
TB993tt,

Just for your info about the OEM diverter.

Last edited by gooseNSJ4; 02-15-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Evolution Motorsports Question