Another new shock convert

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Another new shock convert

I got my tt about 4 months ago. After putting some miles on the car and getting past the joys of 400 bhp I began to be distinctly underwhelmed with its handling. It would crash into small road surface irregularities that most cars would ride over quietly. It didn't turn in crisply,seeming to take a moment before it changed direction and sometimes further steering corrections were required. The steering felt very much non-linear. And once in a bend the car would move around before it took a set, enough to feel like it might be losing grip when pushing on. I'm sure it wasn't but the apparent movement and uncertain feedback was not at all confidence inspiring.

So I searched around here on Rennlist and elsewhere and found that I was experiencing what sounded like the classic sympoms of knackered shock absorbers. The car is an RoW 97 with about 45K miles. For my desired use (street only, no track days) I decided upon Bilstein HD's and duly purchased them from Gert. They arrived within a few days and using his instructions and those on p-car I swapped them over during the course of approximately 8 hours.

The car has been absolutely transformed. The ride is better without the harsh edge (my glove box lock now only rarely rattles!), the turn-in is much better and the car is much more composed and settled, even on a turn with bumps and camber changes. The new shocks can't hide the weight of the car though, it still feels like a heavy car. I suspect the PSS-9 kit might further improve the handling under spirited use but at the expense of street use. I can't fault the Bilstein HD's and it's been time and money well spent.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:06 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One suggestion, it is rather self motivating to DIY, but please take consideration in having a Porsche dealership or qualified shop to replace and set the PSS9's.
Corner weights and proper alignment needs to be set properly.

Also, lowering the car will require a smart mechanic to figure out the proper alignment settings, which will differ from the standard US or European settings, I found this to be a biggest mistake by mechanics to use standard aliment settings for 993TT when changing to PSS9's (when adjusting hight). The adverse effect of that is that the car will miss-handle especially during strong use of breaking system ( pull left or right).

Regards,
Old 07-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseNSJ4
One suggestion, it is rather self motivating to DIY, but please take consideration in having a Porsche dealership or qualified shop to replace and set the PSS9's. Corner weights and proper alignment needs to be set properly. Also, lowering the car will require a smart mechanic to figure out the proper alignment settings, which will differ from the standard US or European settings, I found this to be a biggest mistake by mechanics to use standard aliment settings for 993TT when changing to PSS9's (when adjusting hight). The adverse effect of that is that the car will miss-handle especially during strong use of breaking system ( pull left or right).
Goose, are you suggesting that phelix changes his newly acquired shocks for the PSS-9 system? If so, why? The Bilstein HD shocks in conjunction with his ROW Turbo springs are by far the best suspension for anyone who mostly drives their car on the streets.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viken
Goose, are you suggesting that phelix changes his newly acquired shocks for the PSS-9 system? If so, why? The Bilstein HD shocks in conjunction with his ROW Turbo springs are by far the best suspension for anyone who mostly drives their car on the streets.
Viken,

No that is not what I am suggesting, I am simply referring to "PHELIX" quote, stating that he might use PSS9 kit to further improve the handling of the car.
So, I was just commenting on use of the PSS9's (if to be used), and suggested to have a corner weights set properly, which is not easy do do unless you have the equipment and proper experience in this field.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gooseNSJ4
No that is not what I am suggesting, I am simply referring to "PHELIX" quote, stating that he might use PSS9 kit to further improve the handling of the car. So, I was just commenting on use of the PSS9's (if to be used), and suggested to have a corner weights set properly, which is not easy do do unless you have the equipment and proper experience in this field.
Thanks for the clarification. FWIW, the same applies to his Bilstein HD shocks in terms of corner balancing and alignment. Hopefully, his shop already provided that.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:30 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viken,

100% in agreement!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:56 AM
MOD500
Racer

Glad the car is better with the new suspension parts, Phelix.

I have had mine nearly 6 weeks and love it. Have noticed the same things happening with mine when pressing on, though will prob wait till the warranty expires to get my suspension upgraded.

Where are you in the UK? I am near Leeds myself.

Best Regards

Martyn.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:03 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in south Hampshire so a few miles from Leeds...
Old 07-28-2004, 04:21 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Phelix,

Can you provide part numbers for the Bilstein shocks. Thanks in advance.

Jon
Albuquerque
Old 07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jebia
Can you provide part numbers for the Bilstein shocks. Thanks in advance.
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93089.htm

Quick Reply: Another new shock convert