Evolution Motorsports Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 06:41 PM
yongola
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution Motorsports Question

Hi all.

I am fairly new to the world of porsche,and new to this board, but from my lurking it is clear that many of you have a wealth of knowledge about the 993tt.
I purchased a 1997 993tt about six months ago, and have been grinning like an idiot ever since. Now speed greed has set in and I am talking to the people at Evolution Motorsports in Tempe, AZ. about some engine and electronics upgrades. Do any of you have any experience with with this shop or its products?

I am also interested in the discussion of hybrid turbos from Kevin, and wondered if there were any reliable shops in the Phoenix area that could match these units to an ECU upgrade without detonating my new baby. If not, where would I go with the car to see the job done right?

Thanks for any help.

Dirk
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2004, 11:41 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi there,

Congratulations on your TT, looks great. I dealt exclusively with with EVO as you can tell by my set up. Mike and Todd at EVO are good guys and they sell what they preach. I could have gone with almost with anybody to to the mod's but chose them because they are no nonsense people. Their upgrade stages do work and I am very happy with their product and service.

I am running their Stage 3 (540-hp) set up and currently have been talking to them about their Stage 4 (600-hp) upgrade. Although their use the K-24's which everybody seems to dislike, it is a GT2 Quick spool-up modified turbochargers. There is some lag but very insignificant and I do not mind it. What makes their set up great is that the ECU is calibrated to the set up their offer.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions ask me here or PM me any time.

Regards,

Goose
Old 07-11-2004, 03:02 PM
hatchy
Racer

I've dealt with Todd over there when I had my Audi S4, and he was a pleasure to deal with. Give them a call, I am sure they'll gladly answer your questions.

PS: How hot does your car run on sunny days? Does your oil temp exceed the 9 o'clock position?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:57 PM
yongola
8th Gear

Cool

Thanks for the input. They seemed like straight shooters, but I wanted to hear from people who had dealt with them. I will give them a call, and have some work done on the car.

I was thinking about only doing a stage I upgrade, ECU remap to 470hp, but after following this board I am getting greedy and may go for the stage III with upgraded turbos, new exhaust, etc. No matter what I do, I will upgrade the oil cooler. I regularly see my temp. creep above the 9:00 point on the gauge if I drive during the day. I won't even go out midday in the car. Today's high should be about 109-111.

I keep most of my spirited driving to after dark, but last night it was still 102 degrees when I went out after sunset.That didn't keep me from scaring myself silly in the thing. I think I will head over to the Bondurant school on the south side of Phoenix for their Grand Prix course after it cools off, ...like December. This car is WAY beyond my driving skill right now, but I haven't had this much fun driving since high school.

Thanks again for the help,

Dirk
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2004, 05:06 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have opted not to go with the FVD mufflers offered by them. The mufflers wear way to quiet, go with the Fabspeed muffler bypass.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:17 PM
yongola
8th Gear

Goose:

When did you have the work done by EVO?When I went out there, they had scads of 996s, but no 993s in the shop. I get the feeling that many people don't like to modify their 993s, so it seems that EVO doesn't see too many of them.

BTW, I love your car. It looks like it has my dream list already installed.

Also, how does the "S" oil cooler work for you? Do you go out much in the heat?

Thanks again,

Dirk
Old 07-11-2004, 07:54 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by yongola
Goose:

When did you have the work done by EVO?When I went out there, they had scads of 996s, but no 993s in the shop. I get the feeling that many people don't like to modify their 993s, so it seems that EVO doesn't see too many of them.

BTW, I love your car. It looks like it has my dream list already installed.

Also, how does the "S" oil cooler work for you? Do you go out much in the heat?

Thanks again,

Dirk
Dirk,

Thanks for the car comment. As you may know I am from east and had the system installed by Autotechnick here in Jersey, but bought all of the Stage 3 upgrades from EVO. My ECU was sand out and reprogramed over night by EVO., ( fast service ).

Remember, before 996's there wear 993's, the technology was created for 993's and EVO was one of the pioneers. So, yes you will see a lot of 996's at EVO, but by far it does not mean they do not cater to 993's. They are just moving forward with advancement of technology. You are in good hands with EVO especially that they are local to you and you can not ask for better scenario then that.

"S" oil cooler is a option that I decided to put on as a safety precision rather then necessity. Many different opinions about it. I ran without it for few months and never got to 9 o'clock position with outside temp., over 90F. But, again decided to put one on just as a precaution (it does help! ).

BTW, if you can afford it go for the Stage 3, do not bother with Stage 1 and 2, in few months you will be upgrading to Stage 3 ( guaranteed ) and it will cast you more time and money not to forget the time that your TT will spend in the shop. The first time a gave my wife a spin around the block, she got sick, the car is really fast!!!!!!!!! You will love it!

Goose.

P.S. We love to mod our 993TT! And so does EVO! That's why you are thinking about doing it to.

Last edited by gooseNSJ4; 07-11-2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:24 PM
JasonW
Instructor

As one of their vendors, I can also vouch for EvoMS. VERY knowledgable and professional.

Jason-
Old 07-21-2004, 04:40 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Dirk,

I had the S oil cooler on my modded car and found that it could not keep up on a hot day at the track. I switched to the Cargraphics unit and have not had any problems since.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:34 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Tuning Package Stage 1

Includes: Level 1 Computer Calibration, Sport Air Filter, EVO Billet Diverter Valves
400/400
470/470
TUN993TTL1

(4 hours)
$2850*

993TT
96-97
Tuning Package Stage 2 "Hammer"

Includes: Stage 1 with the addition of: EVO's Proprietary GIAC Stage 2 HAMMER Computer Calibration, EVO Sport Exhaust, High Floe Catalysts
400/400
500/500
TUN993TTL2H

(8 hours)
$6950
Credibility problem: You really think you can get 500hp (the same horses as Porsches original 400) from the above
Old 07-22-2004, 12:14 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Todd is a very knowledgable Porsche tuner. You are in good hands....
Old 07-22-2004, 03:52 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you TB993tt, I always scratch my head when companies like Ruf,Gemballa,Techart,RS tuning etc. need to go to great lenghts to achieve the horsepower a US tuner gets with a simple Ecu/exhaust swap.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:58 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
I hear you TB993tt, I always scratch my head when companies like Ruf,Gemballa,Techart,RS tuning etc. need to go to great lenghts to achieve the horsepower a US tuner gets with a simple Ecu/exhaust swap.
Pole
I am not meaning to denigrate individual tuners who may well be very knowledgable, just some of their hp claims. Some of the discrepancies seem to be down to the method of measurement combined with the conversion from rwhp to fwhp, but increasingly I think a lot of claims are just unscientific wishful thinking.
My guess on the MAXIMUM power levels for the EVO stages based on the componentry are:
Stage 1: 430PS
Stage 2: 445PS
Stage 3: 490PS
Old 07-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Personnally I do believe that these numbers can be achieved (maybe not 600hp), we don't know what turbos exactly they are using, they are surely not straight K24s but some sort of hybrid.

The question being, what drives the hp level from 500 to 600hp? Strictly speaking it is the turbos and the ECU mapping (boost levels, AFRs and RPMs etc.) that are the limiting factor (assuming they both have intake and exhaust mods).

BUT the 600 hp engine will not last you long if you do not do the internal modifications and will be running crazy levels of boost to get there, whereas if you do spend $40k on it, it will last more, you will have consistent hp/torque and run safely. Keep the stock intercooler, and you might only get a spike of 600 hp, but you won't be able to maintain it as soon as the turbos and engine overheats.

What I am trying to say is that these numbers are possible, but what kind of power curve do they give you, for how long these hp levels can be held and how long the whole engine will last you.

BTW, some excellent european tuners do sell you similar numbers as well, with similar modifications, and including mechanical rocker arms.

Last edited by Jean; 07-22-2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jean
Which European tuners offer the EVO stages claimed figures with similar mods ?
It is the heat which will kill your attempts for a useable over 550hp - plug in your hammers and watch those intake temps. When you start shoving more than 1.1 bar through at peak power they go ballistic. The fact still is only the Secan I/C set up can give you consistant 550+ hp and even then you will be subject to race engine type maintenance programs based on engine hours at full boost. And FWIW whilst I would love to be proved wrong (and I don't mean a RWHP dyno curve which peaks at 5200rpm then dissapears) I don't believe the hybrid hype.

Quick Reply: Evolution Motorsports Question