Sponsored by:

Evolution Motorsports Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was to want really high HP (which of course I do) I would start by converting to a 3.8 and then begin my otherr mods - ECU, turbo's, intercooler etc.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

TB

I would like to clarify that I do not have any affiliation with any tuner, be it in the US or Europe, so whatever I write is just my perception of things and I fully recocgnize that your knowledge exceeds mine

As you know I have researched a lot in the last few months, and came across a few, one that I can remember from the top of my head is PSI Motorsports from Belgium, as you know they are very respected racers, in the same league as Manthey Et Al., they have a 540hp and 720NM package including similar mods, exhaust, air intake, FPR, cams (BTW I haven't checked whether EVO had cams in the kit!) ECU remap, K24 turbos and mechanical rockers.. Exactly Same kit with K27 turbos gives you 600 hp and 820 NM, which takes me back to my question about HP drivers. I don't believe these are sustainable numbers though , nor reliable long term, which is the same as you are saying I believe..

Concerning the I/C, Secan is not the only one that can sustain these power levels, I just think people use them because they are among the best, Secan is from the aeronautic industry and they produce good coolers (they belong to HoneyWell now I think). The GT2 racing EVOs used Heggeman (Another from the same industry) for the most part, the Secan was used mainly for the GT1s. F1 cars, rallye cars and many others used in very demanding racing do not use Secan, there are several other builders, Secan is one of the best. Here is a picture of the Heggeman attached.

I am in the same situation like yours, I want a fast car and realize that you cannot get it done for less than $30k (at least!) if you want a long term engine.

But I do think that a well tuned Motec and Kevin's Stage 5 or 6 hybrids can get you there in no time, and maybe risk braking the engine also in no time unless you open it. There is no reason to believe that a K24 ( I have a set of modified ones by TTP) flows more than the larger wheels that Kevin is using, let alone a good Garrett turbo.

All this is speculation from my side anyway, I might well be wrong.
Interesting topic!

Jean
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jean; 07-22-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Jean
Interesting topic for sure
The devil really is in the detail here. I believe my estimates for the EVO stages are about right, over 500 with stock cams - very doubtful hence why I rated the EVO stage 3 as 490hp.
Yes I have watched the PSI tests in French magazine Flat 6 over the years and they seem to produce the goods although their 540/720 package is WOT about the same as a RS Tuning 520/730 (single plug) package (gives the same WOT acceleration numbers 100-200kph), without even looking at part throttle/mid range/overboost where the fine programming really comes into its own.
Generally to get the higher torque (750+NM) by 4500rpm requires the high boost levels Circa 1.3bar - this heats up the air so much that it restricts the peak power one can achieve (without the Secan). By keeping the boost lower at peak torque as PSI do, they can run it slightly higher over 5000rpm and achieve the 530/540 levels (it also means they can chance not having proper head sealing) RS's philosephy is to tune 1500kg 993tts the first way but with the lighter GT2s they would hold the boost off 'til higher up the rev range.
Secan is the best - those people who were/are racing these cars spent an absolute FORTUNE developing them and I know for a fact RS have tested every mainstream aftermarket I/C for the 993tt on their dyno which shoves air through the cores at up to 300kph including the Andial unit (that surprised me) BTW Heggeman is the company which does the tank fabrication not the core manufacturer (yes I've seen their name stamped on them as well )
I look forward to hearing about your successes with Motec + hybrids - a couple of timed 0-300kph runs will put me in my place
Thanks for the photo
Old 07-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

TB

Great insight! PSI Motorsports had good 100-200 acceleration runs but poor "in -between gears" acceleration, that article was very interesting. BTW, the 490 FVD car beat everyone, although it is not clear whether they were running a lightweight conversion. What's interesting, is to see the hp and NM gains from moving to K27s for the exact same kit. I asked for Dyno sheets but could not obtain them.

The person who put that I/C there himself told me it was a Heggeman, he is a great race builder and clarified the Secan issue to me, maybe language barrier?

Going Motec and Hybrids is one of the options, if I do go this route, it will be a full rebuild including head work, twin-plug, sealing, Rods etc.. so , sure I'll do some runs when it's ready, it will be before September 30th for an event at the F1 track in Bahrain Did I mention I am shaving at least 200 lbs from it?

Dirk, sorry to hijack this post.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 12:30 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Mike W,
Do u have pictures of your car? I am in process of buying a glacier white with grey interior.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 12:39 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=J
The person who put that I/C there himself told me it was a Heggeman, he is a great race builder and clarified the Secan issue to me, maybe language barrier?

[/QUOTE]
Jean
It sounds like I didn't understand what I was told re Heggeman - what it amounted to was that when I enquired about Heggeman (having seen that stamp)was that Heggeman are just fabricators (I presumed end tanks only) if I want more than what I have (power wise) the intercooler has to come from Porsche Motorsports and costs 15000Euros
Old 07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

TB

Do you have the results of the I/C test that RS performed? What kind of temp drops, pressure etc. Can you share it in private? Any contact person at RS, they never answer emails.

Dirk, I promise this is my last OT post!
Old 07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are some of the but not all mods that EVO does in order to go up to if not above the 600hp mark.

Modified larger Garrett high-flow turbochargers.
High-flow fuel Injectors
Large Throttle body
ECU software remaping
Sport Clutch
Header modifications to increase flow to the turbos
Dyno testing/tuning

I am not sure about the cams or rackers or other additions for this mod list, but I think there is more to it then the listed above.

BTW, having the EVO Stage 3, and I am not going to compare or be argumentative on what is better or faster or with more hp. I think, without any disrespect to anyone it would be rather insane to find the right answer to questions and comparative opinions here on the forum, unless we physically take several of these mod (ed) TT and run them side by side.

I trust the EVO stage 3 mod and so far it has not failed me yet, unless I run into something that will blow the doors of my TT all together, but until then I will not dough the capabilities of my car or my skills as a driver.

I believe that the EVO is a excellent set up, at least for my purposes.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:57 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gooseNSJ4
BTW, having the EVO Stage 3, and I am not going to compare or be argumentative on what is better or faster or with more hp. I think, without any disrespect to anyone it would be rather insane to find the right answer to questions and comparative opinions here on the forum, unless we physically take several of these mod (ed) TT and run them side by side.
Er.... didn't Bill S blow the doors off a 600hp EVO modified 996tt in his 490hp Ruf
Old 07-22-2004, 03:06 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Er.... didn't Bill S blow the doors off a 600hp EVO modified 996tt in his 490hp Ruf
Er....... not to be mistrustful, but did we get the other guys side of the story!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:09 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Er....... not to be mistrustful, but did we get the other guys side of the story!
Goose
I think it may have been on 6speedonline (the really big hp site ) that yes the guy in the 996 actually owned up to it
Old 07-22-2004, 03:13 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We actually did get both sides. I believe the consensus from both parties was that Ruf under quoted their numbers and EVO was optimistic.

I am slipping down this slope and it is difficult to wade through all the BS and hype but the only number that really excites me is TB993tt's 757 NM DIN!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, you guys are Brutal!

In any event, what is your opinion on the EVO mod's (600hp) List mentioned above!.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rinlv1, I am having my car fitted for oil coolers. I will post pictures when I get it back.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:42 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adsc4s
We actually did get both sides. I believe the consensus from both parties was that Ruf under quoted their numbers and EVO was optimistic.

I am slipping down this slope and it is difficult to wade through all the BS and hype but the only number that really excites me is TB993tt's 757 NM DIN!
ads
You have expensive taste, the 757Nm DIN is the bit that costs money in con rods, clutches and head sealing as well as exceptionally accurate Motronic control to stop the whole thing from grenading
goose
You said you didn't want to be argumentative
Let me just say that my money would be on Bill S's 490hp Ruf on this one (993tt EVO 600hp)

Quick Reply: Evolution Motorsports Question