Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004 | 12:28 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

Default Major Modifications

I have a 1996 tt and I am about to do the following mods.

1) Pss9s with sway bars
2) Single mass fly wheel
3) Hybrid turbos that according to the guy who is doing the work will give me 524hp.

Has anyone had any experience with these mods? I am especially interested in the turbo modification. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2004 | 12:49 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'm about 24-48 hours from posting my update/results of ...

LWF/GT2 Clutch
PSS9's and front strut brace
Hi-Flow Cats
Hybrid GT1, Zero Clearance Turbos sourced from Kevin

Decided to send the GHL bypasses back, working on fitting a turbo S tail sourced from Viper Bob but am wrestling with a grill fitment issue and more importantly having a hard time abandoning the most dramatic whale tail in the history of Porsches.

Last edited by John H. in DC Area; 07-03-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2004 | 01:10 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Are you using Kevin for your turbo's? I would highly recommend talking to him before you have anyone touch those turbo's. He is the guru. I know first hand!!!

And more importantly my car know's it.
Old 07-03-2004 | 01:12 PM
mb97tts
Racer

John,

Sounds like you are going to have scary ride when you are done. I drove mine to work today and with Kevin's work my car is all that at 424hp. Just a blast to drive. Can't wait for the update. And pics.

Marty
Old 07-03-2004 | 01:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Cliff,

Hybrid turbos alone won't get you to 524hp... you'll need your computer (ECU) reprogrammed, and probably will want to add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. For longevity, you'll need to add another oil cooler, and for sustained boost, you may need a larger intercooler. 500+ HP can be attained, but you'll want to have the car tuned on a dyno to ensure the mixture, boost, and timing are all carefully controlled. Do you have 100 octane unleaded fuel available?
Old 07-03-2004 | 02:04 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ca993twin
Cliff,

Hybrid turbos alone won't get you to 524hp... you'll need your computer (ECU) reprogrammed, and probably will want to add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. For longevity, you'll need to add another oil cooler, and for sustained boost, you may need a larger intercooler. 500+ HP can be attained, but you'll want to have the car tuned on a dyno to ensure the mixture, boost, and timing are all carefully controlled. Do you have 100 octane unleaded fuel available?

I agree with Steve, you also might want to make sure that your ECU is programed along with your turbos. I addition think of adding good Headers and high flow cats (100 or 300 cell) and possibly muffler bypass. AWE Tuning has a nice exhaust mod with great sound.
Old 07-03-2004 | 02:27 PM
Cliff Leve
Instructor

Sorry, I forgot to mention my ecu will be re-progamed. No I do not have access to 100 oct. feul. I have upgraded my exhaust with b&b mufflers. Bob Brooks is going to do the work on the turbos. He is out in California.
I must plead ignorance on the high flow cats100 or 300 cel. I don't know what that means.
Old 07-03-2004 | 02:30 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go to this web site.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...st&IL=993ttexh
Old 07-03-2004 | 02:50 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Cliff,

Bob Brooks? Oh, we very well know who that is. Viperbob. You are in very good hands. Bob knows all the tricks, does great work, and is reasonably priced. He'll be helping me when I'm ready for the next step or two.

Headers don't seem to help on our turbo cars, but there is some grinding on the collectors that seems to help a great deal. Ask Bob... he knows all about it.

Our cars like the least restriction and the shortest path from the turbos to the exhaust tips. You have a bunch of options, but I'd start by tossing the B&B mufflers, and running a set of muffler bypasses instead. The turbos don't really need mufflers for noise redunction, and the bypasses shorten the path, remove the restriction, reduce weight, and allow better cooling to the turbos.

Race cats or cat bypasses are another possibility. But, unlike the muffler bypasses, may not be smog legal where you live, may throw a check-engine-light, are very expensive, and are pretty noisy if used WITH the muffler bypasses. But boy... do they work! Race cats (100 cell) are somewhere inbetween cat bypasses and stock cats for noise and efficiency. Both of these options are quite expensive (notice, I have only the muffler bypasses on my car). Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004 | 11:22 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

gooseNSJ4 said:

"I agree with Steve, you also might want to make sure that your ECU is programed along with your turbos. I addition think of adding good Headers and high flow cats (100 or 300 cell) and possibly muffler bypass. AWE Tuning has a nice exhaust mod "

I wouldn't even think of adding headers.... It's known that the sock exchangers worker very well. Also, I purchased high-flow CATS from FDV and we tested them at Steve Warner's shop on a flow meter. They were exactly the same as stock CATS. I put them on the car an noticed no improvment at all.

However, adding CAT replacement pipes makes a huge difference in the lower RPM range with modified engines.

Cheers!

Rick

www.993tt.com
Old 07-03-2004 | 11:43 PM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rick in Portland
gooseNSJ4 said:

"I agree with Steve, you also might want to make sure that your ECU is programed along with your turbos. I addition think of adding good Headers and high flow cats (100 or 300 cell) and possibly muffler bypass. AWE Tuning has a nice exhaust mod "

I wouldn't even think of adding headers.... It's known that the sock exchangers worker very well. Also, I purchased high-flow CATS from FDV and we tested them at Steve Warner's shop on a flow meter. They were exactly the same as stock CATS. I put them on the car an noticed no improvement at all.

However, adding CAT replacement pipes makes a huge difference in the lower RPM range with modified engines.

Cheers!

Rick

www.993tt.com
Rick,
Any body has a right to an opinion, just because the stock exchangers work fine and the Cats as well, it doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement. Overall, as you know there are quite a few Porsche owners on this web site that did change their Headers, Cats, form stock to mod. I guess we all should be asking for a refund based on your findings. No malice intended, just a friendly replay.
Old 07-04-2004 | 12:03 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why don't you ask Steve Weiner for the true results? Adding headers changes the POWER CURVE.... moving it up or down. Also, many like their heater to work.

The post above mine pretty much reflected what I said.

"Headers don't seem to help on our turbo cars, but there is some grinding on the collectors that seems to help a great deal. Ask Bob... he knows all about it."

Rick

www.993TT.com
Old 07-04-2004 | 02:22 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Forget the headers, look for the post about the diy header grind and port..
Old 07-04-2004 | 03:30 AM
gooseNSJ4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rick in Portland
Why don't you ask Steve Weiner for the true results? Adding headers changes the POWER CURVE.... moving it up or down. Also, many like their heater to work.

The post above mine pretty much reflected what I said.

"Headers don't seem to help on our turbo cars, but there is some grinding on the collectors that seems to help a great deal. Ask Bob... he knows all about it."

Rick

www.993TT.com
O.K. Why don't you look up the B&B Headers with heat exchangers or may be you have not heard about them. I had mine for a very long time and enjoy better performance and heat too not to forget the beautiful mirror finish on them. But enough said, I really have better things to do then go into debate about what you or I think about piece of metal with holes in it, life is too short to argue about miserable few HP's up or down. I do not consider myself a expert, but nor should you!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2004 | 03:44 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

So Kevin and other people has told you the same thing... and you just can't let it drop....

And, by the way, Steve Weiner IS an expert. I just don't make this stuff up.

Whatever floats your boat.

Rick

www.993TT.com

Quick Reply: Major Modifications