Sponsored by:

Modified ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 02:04 AM
braekk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified ECU?

This ECU is said to be modified by Autothority many years ago. Apart from the sticker on the cover, what is the giveaway that the circuit board has been modified? Thanks for your insight

Old 05-10-2024, 11:29 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't think that ECU has been modified at all. That is a 1996 ECU, and the original chips are on it, and those chips cannot be flashed.
That ECU needs a "piggy-back board" to be soldiered into it in order to modify it.

Check out this video:
Old 05-11-2024, 12:15 AM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
I don't think that ECU has been modified at all. That is a 1996 ECU, and the original chips are on it, and those chips cannot be flashed.
That ECU needs a "piggy-back board" to be soldiered into it in order to modify it.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjr64jWZ3zk
That's correct, no mods. If that's the DME ECM from the OP's 993, he's lucky. The video linked to indicates some confusion on the part of narrator, i.e. confusion about what's a memory chip or a processor chip with memory.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 05-11-2024, 02:21 AM
braekk
Track Day

@CosmosMoon @systemsc
I’m baffled. My car had a Greddy boost controller, Autothority MAF, 5bar fpr together with this “modified” DME/ECU when I bought it last year.
I’ve taken all that off and installed a stock maf, stock fpr and stock DME/ECU (flashable one thinking the one I had was modified).
I guess to be 100% certain I can swop them and see how the car drives? Maybe I now have a stock backup DME/ECU
Old 05-15-2024, 09:05 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Loren back in the day when these chips were available, couldn’t autothority have just replaced the chips? (Visited them and had them install their ecu/maf on one of my other cars in the early 2000’s).
And I always thought the 96 was single chip vs 2 for the later?
Old 05-15-2024, 09:56 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Loren back in the day when these chips were available, couldn’t autothority have just replaced the chips? (Visited them and had them install their ecu/maf on one of my other cars in the early 2000’s).
And I always thought the 96 was single chip vs 2 for the later?
Actually, the "chips" of the '96 and later ECMs were proprietary to Bosch and not sold commercially. Furthermore, they were complex not only with just memory but included a processor capability.
It was beyond what Autothority did with replaceable EPROMs, e.g. '95 and earlier ECMs.
The following users liked this post:
Basal Skull (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:12 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

So the OP’s ecu is stock and the only reasonable explanation is that someone may have ‘took’ the now programmable (more value to most) ecu and replaced with old ecu, transferring the cover or sticker to this ecu?

Or I suppose stock ecu with the listed mods might run ok and the 5bar fpr would mask most problems. I know tuners also used na 993 ecu’s with external boost controllers.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:05 AM
braekk
Track Day

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
So the OP’s ecu is stock and the only reasonable explanation is that someone may have ‘took’ the now programmable (more value to most) ecu and replaced with old ecu, transferring the cover or sticker to this ecu?

Or I suppose stock ecu with the listed mods might run ok and the 5bar fpr would mask most problems. I know tuners also used na 993 ecu’s with external boost controllers.
I believe the cover and circuit board with dual chips belong together. And that the 1995-1996 993 Turbo came with this DME/ECU. Bosch part number that ends with 758. Someone (previous owner) must have pulled out the Autothority chip from the ECU then. Would that involve desoldering?

Prior to taking the engine back to stock it didn't really run very well. Very rough on idle and in general difficult to drive. Didn't feel like the AFR was correct. It ran quite well under full throttle though. Maybe because the DME/ECU didn't match the setup?
Old 05-16-2024, 05:36 AM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by braekk
I believe the cover and circuit board with dual chips belong together. And that the 1995-1996 993 Turbo came with this DME/ECU. Bosch part number that ends with 758. Someone (previous owner) must have pulled out the Autothority chip from the ECU then. Would that involve desoldering?

Prior to taking the engine back to stock it didn't really run very well. Very rough on idle and in general difficult to drive. Didn't feel like the AFR was correct. It ran quite well under full throttle though. Maybe because the DME/ECU didn't match the setup?
Really doubt there was an AutoThority chip ever installed. The two right 68 pin chips in the '96 were replaced with a single chip (processor with flash memory) in the '97/'98 ECM.

Quick Reply: Modified ECU?