question on synchro

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 07:34 PM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts
Default question on synchro

question: 993 turbo

coming to stop...unless car completely stopped and wait few seconds and then slowly put into first gear...tends to grind and chatter a bit.

does this sound like first gear synchro is gone/going?

anyone have cost estimate to R/R synchro

tia

Old 12-14-2023, 11:07 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Was the clutch ever replaced? Any grinding with the other gears? Usually 2nd, 3rd synchro wears off before 1st gear. I would change the tranny oil first with Mobil Delvac synthetic 75W90 and do a test drive.

I would suspect the clutch since you drive on the hills, those Getrag G64 tranny are tuff. I live on flat land so very rarely I use 1st gear.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Yah, clutch might be hanging a bit and putting pressure on the gearset, but that has a particular feel in the shifter, almost a tightness. My opinion is different than above, I have been using the transmission factory recommended oil (which appears to be Shell Spirax) for myself and many others for some years now, and it seem to work better (smoother shifting and syncro engagement) than Delvac, especially for cold shifting. This is feedback from several people who have come through the shop and changed over. Viscosity is the same on paper, but the factory oil is noticeably thinner at room temperature (I know, I have pumped both).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-22-2023, 11:40 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Yah, clutch might be hanging a bit and putting pressure on the gearset, but that has a particular feel in the shifter, almost a tightness. My opinion is different than above, I have been using the transmission factory recommended oil (which appears to be Shell Spirax) for myself and many others for some years now, and it seem to work better (smoother shifting and syncro engagement) than Delvac, especially for cold shifting. This is feedback from several people who have come through the shop and changed over. Viscosity is the same on paper, but the factory oil is noticeably thinner at room temperature (I know, I have pumped both).
Mike - is this the stuff? http://Pennzoil Products 550026951/5...a.co/d/fgNw3l7
Old 12-22-2023, 05:36 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

Cheers,

Mike
Yes Mike J is right, the Shell spirax is the factory recommended transmission oil, Mobil 1 Delvac synthetic 75w90 is the transmission oil Porsche Motorsport recommend and use in race cars.

Quick Reply: question on synchro