Is it worth building a 993 gt2 with all original parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 04:28 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
The street GT2 and CS engine share the ECU and K24 turbo's from the Turbo S model rated at 450hp, same part numbers and same ROW engine. The original factory GT2 tail is very heavy and very expensive, your better of buying a good quality lighter fibreglass tail from FSH in Germany and keep the original thicker 993 glass to compensate the weight. The key parts are the aluminum doors and hood to save the bulk of the weight. Like chsu74 said, if you don't have the original tub from a GT2 it will never be a real GT2 even with the factory parts package.

Being there, done that.

On 2nd note I have a G50/54 and no pump and external cooler, the G50/54 as a special RWD nose housing with internal oiling passage that feeds oil in the middle of the main shaft like the AWD turbo trans, the 993 C2 G50 doesn't have that oiling feature, also the GT2 EVO and R! as the tranny pump and cooler.

Still lots of street factory 993 GT2 original parts are still available, unfortunately the inner wheel well plastic shrouds are NLA now days.
inner wheel ??? Plastic shroud??? Can you please elaborate. We just unloaded a big load of factory gt2 993 parts the project invested purchase from Europe. For what I can see, there’s enough parts to build 2 gt2.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:31 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default Ouch ego destroyer

Originally Posted by kabsncoupe
I guess we never know what the engine specs where, same in transmission . My guy had a real transmission out of a gt2 that was a spare g50/54 yes with external pump.

So much sadness

Hit in the center, if Is before tge pedals, a front clip would do
Old 09-06-2023, 04:35 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default Bla, bla, bla???? Lol

Originally Posted by speednme
Blah, blah, blah…Porsche made a really nice STREET 993 Turbo. If you decide to do more with it then certain enhancements make the car that much better for the owner. Your last statement said it all…talk to a Porsche GT2 racer…key word being “racer”…a car MODIFIED for its intended use.
Jersey looks like you been swimming in jersey shore medical waste infected water or a speech impediment……🥸
Old 09-06-2023, 04:46 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default Turbo s Engine …… not

The street GT2 and CS engine share the ECU and K24 turbo's from the Turbo S model rated at 450hp, same part numbers and same ROW engine. The original factory GT2 tail is very heavy and very expensive, your better of buying a good quality lighter fibreglass tail from FSH in Germany and keep the original thicker 993 glass to compensate the weight. The key parts are the aluminum doors and hood to save the bulk of the weight. Like chsu74 said, if you don't have the original tub from a GT2 it will never be a real GT2 even with the factory parts package.

Being there, done that.

On 2nd note I have a G50/54 and no pump and external cooler, the G50/54 as a special RWD nose housing with internal oiling passage that feeds oil in the middle of the main shaft like the AWD turbo trans, the 993 C2 G50 doesn't have that oiling feature, also the GT2 EVO and R! as the tranny pump and cooler.

Still lots of street factory 993 GT2 original parts are still available, unfortunately the inner wheel well plastic shrouds are NLA now days.
school is open so pay attention kid: 993 gt2 ran a late 964 engine, why, the internals are forged , 993 not. They improve on 97 but the crankshaft n case were garbage. I still talk to people that try to race with a 993 crankshaft , they have tons of issues. Yes today everyone and their brothers run later crankshaft with wider bearings. They work but is a short live solution. Again ask any known racer from 90’s. They have wars stories to tell. 993tt engine is the same that’s on the 993tt’s. The computer is tuned with the upgrades , nothing special. Again you can verify this easy. I’m going true the motorsports manual , wow tons of 964 bullet proof parts in this builds. Please don’t come back with , ooohh my car have a 993tt’s crankshaft….. 🫣
Old 09-06-2023, 05:04 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default Andiamo la Bona vita

I totally agree!
there you go, u loading , box opening , in a amaze dupe

Rear lub

Of course a beauty

No longer avialable from motorsports, but you can use 996 gt3. Still avialable

Last edited by kabsncoupe; 09-06-2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:24 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

there you go, u loading , box opening , in a amaze dupe

Rear lub

Of course a beauty

No longer avialable from motorsports, but you can use 996 gt3. Still avialable
What are we talking about here? The key word is STREET 993 GT2 issued from the factory at 50 example a year from 1995 to 1998, they're all based from the 993 turbo cars engine and 993 C2S wide body tubs with different Motronic 5.2 ECU's and turbo's. your pictures of the transmission shown are either from an 993 EVO, R1 or RSR, they all had the cooler mech pump and external main shaft oiling.

You are mixing GT2 parts up and yes all 993 RSR's and racing GT2's had 964 crankshaft with the heavy harmonic damper pulley and so on.

Good for you if you have all the parts to build yourself an EVO or an R1 and yes I'm talking about the inner plastic covers specific to the street GT2, you couldn't fit them on an EVO or R1 because the car sat too low and the wheels hit them. Again I'm talking about the STREET 993 GT2.

Also the reason the factory use the 964 crankshaft in the 993 RSR and GT2 EVO was a bigger rod journal on the 964 crank and 9mm rods bolts versus a smaller journal and 8mm bolts on the 993 crankshaft, also be reminded all 911 crankshaft are forged, never seen a cast Porsche crankshaft.

Last edited by C4Spolar; 09-06-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:26 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

So much sadness

Hit in the center, if Is before tge pedals, a front clip would do
That car is not a GT2 and missing the large secondary cooler at the right, also the tail is wrong.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:03 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default Balance plus liquid damper

What are we talking about here? The key word is STREET 993 GT2 issued from the factory at 50 example a year from 1995 to 1998, they're all based from the 993 turbo cars engine and 993 C2S wide body tubs with different Motronic 5.2 ECU's and turbo's. your pictures of the transmission shown are either from an 993 EVO, R1 or RSR, they all had the cooler mech pump and external main shaft oiling. When I get a chance I’ll post the motorsports pictures and pages right from the fellow Germans horses mouth. The Teflon body blocks to raise the back we have boxes of. They raise the body to better angle on the hard working axles. They also push the engine n transmission forward to help that, then they use the most toxic grease with asbestos to keep the bell bearing on the axles temperature down. In front again was a 964 longitudinals and cross bar to bring the wheel gun in , that’s how they got 11” wheel or front. There’s so much of 964 in those cars than anyone knows. Again old racers can elaborate here.

You are mixing GT2 parts up and yes all 993 RSR's and racing GT2's had 964 crankshaft with the heavy harmonic damper pulley and so on.

Good for you if you have all the parts to build yourself an EVO or an R1 and yes I'm talking about the inner plastic covers specific to the street GT2, you couldn't fit them on an EVO or R1 because the car sat too low and the wheels hit them. Again I'm talking about the STREET 993 GT2.
again it’s all in the manual
Old 09-06-2023, 08:18 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default It fell of the car…..lol

That car is not a GT2 and missing the large secondary cooler at the right, also the tail is wrong.
sometimes in an accident you loose parts. At that point the car owner was not going to look for it because his eyes cut not believe what this kid did to his car.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:03 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default No offense intended , just fun.

Jersey looks like you been swimming in jersey shore medical waste infected water or a speech impediment……🥸
all jokes a side this is a big task. We apreciate any positive ideas. If you are building one I’ll have some left over parts according to the bol
Old 09-06-2023, 09:07 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default Give ideas, you been there

Originally Posted by budge96
Not sure what the debate is “ is it financially worth it to build a GT2 from factory parts “ ? Since I also have a tribute mine being done right around the time Jochens was done some five or more years back I’d have to say HELL YES ! I am financially still able to do other things I prefer to do and also have a GT2 clone damn close built on a ‘96 turbo .
I don’t care to go into all the upgrades and alterations to my specific vehicle but needless to say the exterior , interior , suspension and some necessary mechanical 2WD etc
were brought to either RS or GT level and yes it is an incredible experience to drive without the necessary financial hit of a real one should you get the chance to find one ..Bert
. Where do I start. The 993 tt chassis sunroof delete we purchased already came with all the reinforcement welds. I was sweating that one. Back in the 90’s new teams will buy a 993tt abd dismantle fo make a gr2 . In USA many teams did exactly that.

We have so many , I’m wondering if you have to dump them after so many races.

Thick manuals in German. Good thing I was born there. Military brat.

Last edited by kabsncoupe; 09-06-2023 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Post picture of manuals I forgot.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:40 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

sometimes in an accident you loose parts. At that point the car owner was not going to look for it because his eyes cut not believe what this kid did to his car.
The good news is he gained some parts in the accident, headlight washers!
The following users liked this post:
kabsncoupe (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:47 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

. Where do I start. The 993 tt chassis sunroof delete we purchased already came with all the reinforcement welds. I was sweating that one. Back in the 90’s new teams will buy a 993tt abd dismantle fo make a gr2 . In USA many teams did exactly that.

We have so many , I’m wondering if you have to dump them after so many races.

Thick manuals in German. Good thing I was born there. Military brat.
Wait maybe I understand better now , you want info as to how to best achieve the result of a GT2 Street ? Oh Ok I thought you were berating or denigrating those who had succeeded in completing the task ..LOL
Anynquestions fire away but those plastic trans buffers were meant more for the Cup car chassis I believe , GT had more RS or solid RSR mounts ..
I have a RS Cup tribute as well so I’ll have to think back in the assembly which car got what LOL ,Bert
Old 09-07-2023, 08:26 PM
kabsncoupe
Banned

Default Omg no, I hope I did not give that impression

Originally Posted by budge96
Wait maybe I understand better now , you want info as to how to best achieve the result of a GT2 Street ? Oh Ok I thought you were berating or denigrating those who had succeeded in completing the task ..LOL
Anynquestions fire away but those plastic trans buffers were meant more for the Cup car chassis I believe , GT had more RS or solid RSR mounts ..
I have a RS Cup tribute as well so I’ll have to think back in the assembly which car got what LOL ,Bert
. Absolutely not, and thanks for clearing that for me. No this go back to late 80’s n early 90’s. Always been a part Time pilot n manufacturer of race parts for different types of racing. I fell in love with 993 gt2 one day I went to deliver a few 993 parts to my buddy in Ft. Lauderdale Florida, as I get inside a brand new 993 gt came in, wow it made my 964 turbo look like a Hunday. As I was drooling on the car my buddy johny went for a test drive of that beast, we where next to Ft. Lauderdale executive where my office was, next to the Yankees practice field. So, he took of like a bad out of hell, as I watch him going down the road, I’ve notice that he’s was rocking fast, then I see a big ball of dust that I cut not comprehend , he did not know that the brand new arrival gt2 had composite brakes ( would not stop cold) as he drove back he was laughing hard n I ask , dude wtf, he saids , well as I get to the intersection I hit the brakes and nothing so he cross 6 lanes of horizontal trafic both ways never hitting any cars nor anything else, his face impressions was priceless. Johny is a former Lear jet pilot like my self and don’t get scare by small stuff. Next day I call Bob snodgrass at brumos and traded my 964 turbo and my 87 turbo that had barely 1k miles for a 993tt that still own n love. Is stock but what a car. I did ask how much was a 993gt and Bob told me, just enjoy your street car, this gt are a mess to bring to USA n super pricy. As you see my infatuation for this cars go back to the first 911 turbo I drove to high school very carefully because my neighbor purchased one that kill him the second week he had it. So yes widow makers but I never had anything to prove, just driving in style like god intended for this machines. Today after my stroke n many health issues , I spend my time reading plus watching all the races that this cars where a big part of. My good friend keeps me working on his car collection plus we might build a really close but race ready copy? , we went to California to purchase the last 2 evos that where purchased with a ton of race parts but the 2 millón price , I cut not justify. This is just for fun.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:58 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Are you guys for certain the doors are aluminum? I had the good fortune to see one up close and open shut doors etc. I would have bet carbon fibre. The door weighed nothing to move it required the same effort to move the cabinet door in your kitchen.

Quick Reply: Is it worth building a 993 gt2 with all original parts