upgrading turbo's or keep stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 02:39 PM
DarkoStoj
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default upgrading turbo's or keep stock

Hey guys.

I have a 1996 Turbo (updated to 1997 ECU) and doing some maintenance on it (valve cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets, hoses, etc)

We pulled the turbo's off and they have seen better days, the drivers side one has the wastegate valve which does not move freely so we need to correct that.

Since I probably need to get the turbo's gone through, looking at seeing what options there are out there for upgrades. Or if I should get stock ones, have the ones I have rebuilt, etc

What should I do?
Old 04-20-2022, 02:56 PM
aj911tt
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkoStoj
Hey guys.

I have a 1996 Turbo (updated to 1997 ECU) and doing some maintenance on it (valve cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets, hoses, etc)

We pulled the turbo's off and they have seen better days, the drivers side one has the wastegate valve which does not move freely so we need to correct that.

Since I probably need to get the turbo's gone through, looking at seeing what options there are out there for upgrades. Or if I should get stock ones, have the ones I have rebuilt, etc

What should I do?
Talk to Kevin he’s the only guy who knows wtf he’s doing and let him know Blake sent you he will take care of you. Personally it’s easier to keep stock but he has the means to build whatever you want - hell he just rebuild $50k 959 turbos lol

kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com
Old 04-21-2022, 04:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

It's the age old question isn't it ? Remain stock or "upgrade" which sometimes is a downgrade. Are you happy with the car? - enough power, torque delivery, etc. if so, keep it stock. But on these Turbos, that slope to upgrade can be pretty steep - change out the turbos, then you might need a retune (ie chip), then perhaps a better exhaust, then clutch, then oh wait the engine has few too many miles and needs some work or even a top end .... i am just an old conservative engineer so I would leave the turbos stock if the car was fast enough as it was, or keep it as close to stock as you can go. Suspension is another matter though lol.

Cheers

Mike
Old 04-22-2022, 08:41 AM
aj911tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike J
It's the age old question isn't it ? Remain stock or "upgrade" which sometimes is a downgrade. Are you happy with the car? - enough power, torque delivery, etc. if so, keep it stock. But on these Turbos, that slope to upgrade can be pretty steep - change out the turbos, then you might need a retune (ie chip), then perhaps a better exhaust, then clutch, then oh wait the engine has few too many miles and needs some work or even a top end .... i am just an old conservative engineer so I would leave the turbos stock if the car was fast enough as it was, or keep it as close to stock as you can go. Suspension is another matter though lol.

Cheers

Mike
Agree here it turns into a rabbit hole and by the time you’re done take away from the originality people pay for the car. I would keep stock but that’s me. Suspension is the only thing I think worth upgrading on the cars.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

From what I recall, the new borg warner turbos are not made very well, so rebuilding your stock ones is likely a good plan. You can have kevin or a few other trusted shops do the equivalent of a "stage 1" upgrade, which may include zero clearance, different wheels, and some other minor trickery to give you better response and maybe a bit more power without appearing anything other than stock. This would, in my opinion, retain the value of the car that you'd loose with aftermarket turbos, while giving you a bit of an upgrade over stock.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:50 AM
carmoves
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been talking to Tim at Protomotive about said "Trickery". I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I like the OEM+ route. I've heard upgrading the turbos entirely can be very difficult to get right.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:13 PM
aj911tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
From what I recall, the new borg warner turbos are not made very well, so rebuilding your stock ones is likely a good plan. You can have kevin or a few other trusted shops do the equivalent of a "stage 1" upgrade, which may include zero clearance, different wheels, and some other minor trickery to give you better response and maybe a bit more power without appearing anything other than stock. This would, in my opinion, retain the value of the car that you'd loose with aftermarket turbos, while giving you a bit of an upgrade over stock.
you are correct Kevin says he has to rebuild new ones because they are so bad.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:48 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
It's the age old question isn't it ? Remain stock or "upgrade" which sometimes is a downgrade. Are you happy with the car? - enough power, torque delivery, etc. if so, keep it stock. But on these Turbos, that slope to upgrade can be pretty steep - change out the turbos, then you might need a retune (ie chip), then perhaps a better exhaust, then clutch, then oh wait the engine has few too many miles and needs some work or even a top end .... i am just an old conservative engineer so I would leave the turbos stock if the car was fast enough as it was, or keep it as close to stock as you can go. Suspension is another matter though lol.CheersMike
Market appears to prefer stock but I think Mike's lol means PSS10 and lower it. I chose euro ride height 'cause I don't want to have to worry about scraping and am not really into that slammed look.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:33 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

I bought new factory K24's and flashed with GIAC programming. Very pleased with the results. Just a little extra muscle
Old 04-27-2022, 07:34 PM
DarkoStoj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
I bought new factory K24's and flashed with GIAC programming. Very pleased with the results. Just a little extra muscle
Where did you get the turbos from?
Were they a bolt on for a stock car?
Old 04-27-2022, 07:45 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where did you get the turbos from?
Were they a bolt on for a stock car?
AWE tuning ordered me new factory K24's from Borg Warner. They were direct bolt on to my stock 97. I was surprised how well the factory exhaust manifold studs held up - was expecting a nightmare. Coupled with cat bypasses, the diminished lag and increased punch was nice. Makes it feel like a larger displacement motor
Old 04-28-2022, 10:50 AM
DarkoStoj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
AWE tuning ordered me new factory K24's from Borg Warner. They were direct bolt on to my stock 97. I was surprised how well the factory exhaust manifold studs held up - was expecting a nightmare. Coupled with cat bypasses, the diminished lag and increased punch was nice. Makes it feel like a larger displacement motor
Looks like AWE doesn't do these kits anymore.

Anyone know of a vendor I can buy K24's and the tune from?

Also, anybody have an idea if this is a bolt on deal or if any major modifications have to be done?
Old 04-28-2022, 10:55 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like AWE doesn't do these kits anymore.

Anyone know of a vendor I can buy K24's and the tune from?

Also, anybody have an idea if this is a bolt on deal or if any major modifications have to be done?
You might reach out directly to Todd (owner) at AWE. They didn't stock this stuff but knew how to get it through channels. The appealing thing to me was the K24 was the factory turbo for the 993GT2 so I figured the upgrade was engineered to be compatible with the platform/chassis
Old 04-28-2022, 12:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

i'm surprised that you found less lag with k24s. That was always cited as a con to the larger turbos and why things like hybrid turbos became more popular.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:42 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
i'm surprised that you found less lag with k24s. That was always cited as a con to the larger turbos and why things like hybrid turbos became more popular.
It would have had more lag but I added cat bypass pipes and free flow exhaust

Quick Reply: upgrading turbo's or keep stock