price check, please - 96tt

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004 | 07:41 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default price check, please - 96tt

opinions on value -
96 several owner tt, has had some track time, no dings or accidents, just road rash. has been repainted (I saw it pre-painting and so know there is no issue other than fairly significant road rash)

black on black, early 96 (1995 build)
Options:
Turbo S spoiler and oil cooler
Krupp - Bilstein suspension system
Cup Car adjustable bars 9 (5 front/ 3 rear)
Full leather interior
Factory all way power sports seats
B&B Exhaust with cats
Litronics
Motorsound
AM/FM/CD w/6 place Factory changer
Premium sound
Remote Valentine detector
Motorola Startech hands-free cell (phone included)
New floor mats
Custom Porsche TT car cover
New Michilen Sport Pilots
Technical manuals
Second set of Fikse 18" wheels

I have driven it - it drives perfectly.

I hate the issue of tons of owners, etc, and it was at the track (with removable roll bar, etc, so it has been driven hard, but assume a PPI shows good comp and leakdon.

I will need to check about the wiring harness, bu tI think it has been done.

Opinions on price were you to buy it for a driver and occ DE car. Would be driven year round in NC.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2004 | 08:45 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

How many miles are on this car? I wouldn't worry too much about some occassional track useage... this is normally just tough on brakes, tires, and road rash. It generally means the car has been maintained well. A repaint, even without any body damage, may detract from the value, unless it was exceptionally well done. The list of upgrades are impressive, plus the extra Fikse wheels!

Hard to peg a value without the mileage.
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:52 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Have any pics of it, Stedge? Sounds like a very nice car, not least because it already has many desirable cosmetic and suspension mods. That said, no seller gets significant value for mods (unless finding the perfect buyer willing to outbid others for the ideal car (is that you here?)). Mileage is the remaining critical variable before estimating price, over or under 30k?

The multiple owners wouldn't thrill me either, but if you can see receipts for maintainence spanning all the owners, plus get a thorough PPI, any discomfort could be put to rest. However, for a car that has been tracked or dragged hard, I would pay close attention to the gears, looking for excessively loud whine or notchiness, particularly first gear which didn't get hardened by the factory until later build periods. Before getting my car, I test drove a TT in NJ that I simply could not get into first gear during the entire half-hour test drive, except at a complete dead stop. Though it was 35 degrees out, the owner wanted me to believe that the transmission oil simply hadn't warmed up after 30 minutes of driving.

Hope it works out, you've been a diligent and patient searcher.
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:56 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Just curious, what is the market supporting for a nice 96 993 TT with 30k and a 97 TT with about 15k miles. Both have full carbon interiors were stickered at around $ 125K.
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:59 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Specifically, here is one I think I like. I kind of like the red interior with carbon fibre.

http://www.carsourceusa.com/pages/ca...sp?id=32070042

What do you guys think on price. Any downsides to this car. Would the red interior make it difficult to re-sell in a year or two.
Old 04-17-2004 | 11:11 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by Doug H
Just curious, what is the market supporting for a nice 96 993 TT with 30k and a 97 TT with about 15k miles. Both have full carbon interiors were stickered at around $ 125K.
More than one sports car broker inquired about my car when I briefly had it for sale. I got to chatting with one who said a nice, no stories, well optioned 96TT w/under 30k miles easily fetches mid 60s (62-65k); 97TT with same specs fetches mid to high 60s (64-69k). Pristine 97TTs (under 10k miles) fetch mid 70 to high 70s. His most interesting comment was not about the prices, but that there are tons of monied potential buyers who know they want a classic Porsche Turbo, but who don't have the technical or market sophistocation of Rennlisters or other car enthusiasts about these cars. Not surprisingly, the brokers are having an easy time selling the nice 993TTs. If you see a car sitting and sitting, or being regularly relisted, there's either a history or it has wacky interior or exterior colors.
Old 04-17-2004 | 11:18 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by Doug H
Specifically, here is one I think I like. I kind of like the red interior with carbon fibre.

http://www.carsourceusa.com/pages/ca...sp?id=32070042

What do you guys think on price. Any downsides to this car. Would the red interior make it difficult to re-sell in a year or two.
That's a beautiful car. I think it's priced about right, maybe high by two thousand or so, but for a motivated buyer two thousand should not make or break the deal. I know I slightly overspent to get my car but I was tired of looking and I knew when I found THE ONE with the color and options I wanted, and never looked back or regretted slightly overspending. I just don't feel one can go into this kind of purchase nickeling and diming the transaction, unless there are serious PPI or damage issues which are appreciably at odds with the asking price.

I think the red interior with carbon fiber, aluminum, and black accents is outstanding, even classic, but I might change the steering wheel to a black one. Gorgeous car.

In terms of resale, the mileage is just beyond the cusp of what's acceptable to collectors, so if you drive it a healthy amount over two years (say 5-8,000 miles) it will no longer be in the premium (upper ) range of values for its model year, but it would still be attractive to most potential buyers.
Old 04-18-2004 | 12:29 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I realized I forgot to right the mileage in that post...

45k miles. This is a driver, not a garage queen...

Thanks for the input so far.

Quick Reply: price check, please - 96tt