Sponsored by:

To buy a RUF

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 02:12 AM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy a RUF

It was a crisp blue sky morning when we left for the airport. My co-pilot John and I had plenty of time to work out our sale strategies for the upcoming negotiations. One final check before boarding .... credit card ..... license ..... 6 figure bank cheque. Good to go.

Both John and I had been in sales for over 40 years of combined experience. Yes ... the good cop bad cop approach we thought.

Arrive Auckland airport finally .... no sign of the car at front entrance. .... we wait... in the distance sounds of a plane coming in to land ..... but wait ... not a plane the grey green flash of something quite spectacular ... the RUF had landed.

Have you ever lost a bunch of papers out a cabriolet at 100ks ...... it's a bit like our plan .... the grins almost touched the backs of our head.

The $#%^head sales guys gets out and starts his spiel ..... yeah yeah yeah .... human noise was in the air but we weren't listening ... too busy caressing the perfect curves of this beautiful lady with our eyes.

The sales guys drives us back to the dealership. The EKS system means there is no clutch pedal but it has a clutch and is a manual 6 speed gearbox. The sales guy was driving and the car was very rough/jerkey on the gear changes. A bit of a concern .... grins become smiles.

The interior was immaculate ..... only 12000ks .... about 7000ish miles on the 360k speedo. We get to the dealership. ..... small talk ..... ready for the test drive. We pull out and within three gear changes I had the EKS system sorted. Turns out the sales guy just couldn't drive..... effortless would be the gearbox description.

Hows the power ... second gear .... woooohooo ...... with lots of smoke ... not much traction tho ...... at least the cars full of grins again. Try third I thought .... whack as my head tries to part from the neck ..... hmmm 500+hp with two wheels ...... just what the doctor ordered.

We land back at the dealership ..... let me tell you negotiation while grinning is near impossible.

Money exchanges, forms signed, insurance gets arranged ready for the 500 mile drive home.

Driving through the trendy areas of Auckland to get to the motorway one really gets to enjoy the true nature of a unique car. The head nod with smile and eyebrow raise to the nodding smiling Ferrari owner tracking our passing .... priceless.

As we left Auckland on the motorway the weather started to change. The nervous respect for the car was still very much in the for front but ones confidence was growing. .. until ...
We reached the Bombay hills, a three laned, long and steepish incline which was slightly damp. From 6th to 5th ... floor the peddle ..... I'll never get sick of the thump in the back ..... however the breaking traction wheels certainly woke us up again to the realisation ... this isn't an ordinary car and needs respect.

The rest of the long journey was full of fun, grins and laughter.

Some non technical RUF facts:

The EKS system. You put the car in first gear. With no feet on either peddle nothing happens. Touch the accelerator and the car smoothly drives away. Perfect starts every time. Do the same thing but stomp the gas and once again perfect power start. The trick is when you hook second to only half throttle until over 5000 rpm to ensure you don't break traction. Never the embarrassing stall at the lights.

Pulls like a schoolboy in every gear and just keeps going. You can power shift as quick as you can throw your arm without lifting off the gas. Never a crunched gear.

You can left foot break while on the gas while changing up or down without having to master heal-tow techniques. Never in the wrong gear.

If parked at the lights next to a nice car who has the window down. As you both pull away keep the back wheel as close to his window as possible ... in second at 4000 floor it ....the ror of the engine and the instant breaking traction of tyres. Never misses getting a laugh.

She is a thing of true beauty. 1 of only 22 made. I hope my Italian wife doesn't get too jealous of my German love interest.

End of part one.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2004, 02:31 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Daniel,

Great story! Great car. Makes me want to sell my TT and get a Ruf. What an automobile. I'll confess to never hearing of the "EKS" transmission before. Is it a Ruf modified Tip? Very interesting. Keep up the writing.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Thanks Steve .. (first attempt since school at writing heh, fairly easy though .. the car tells the story)

EKS I believe. ..... is a standard 993TT gearbox and clutch with sensors fitted to gear shifter that senses the stick going in and out of the gear possition. A mechanical mechanism automatically depresses and releases the clutch for you.

It is nothing like a tiptronic I am told.

I can convert back to a standard clutch peddle for around $2500USD.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:53 AM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Absolutely stunning Daniel! Be sure to post more photos and details when you get a break from grinning.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:21 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Daniel,

Mesmerizing read.

So a NZ dealer brought the car over from Singapore. But the car was originally ordered and RUF buikt in Germany.

Would love to see some interior pics.

Steve,

EKS is a RUF technology, roughly translates into electronic clutch system. It is a true, floor-shift manual, but without a left-footed clutch. I read about it in the literatures but this is the first car I know of with the system installed.

Don't buy a RUF, ship a C2 over to them for a conversion, then fly over there and drive the thing all over Europe before shipping it home. Thta's the only way to use the capabilities of the car.

Brings back memories of when I claimed my RUF BTR-2 and the 315 miles drive home.

CP
Old 04-16-2004, 05:34 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Ruf-Dan-Ruf

I assume then that your BTR has a Ruf VIN#? If so that lil VIN tag makes your car even more precious.

harrY
Old 04-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan
Impressive car.
Any more photos ?
The EKS is fascinating - a sequential manual !!

CP
When did RUF first offer the EKS ?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:55 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Congrats Daniel,

nice story, even nicer car. Please keep more (detailed) pics coming!

All the best

Emilios
Old 04-16-2004, 07:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Good story. A couple of questions:
Does the car have an LSD, if so which one ?
The wheels are the older 964 version right ? Are they 17" ? I thought the 993 would get the later 18" (different pattern) version which were fitted to 993 Turbo Rs.
Have you weighed her yet ?
Can you get the original engine dyno sheets from Ruf ? - I know he is notoriously secretive about the power outputs, but the sheets belong with the car.
Where is the rev limiter set ?
Thanks
Also can you give us an engine shot -I would like to see the Intercooler etc
Old 04-16-2004, 12:32 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Great story... Congrats on the new car.....
Old 04-16-2004, 03:36 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally posted by Q

CP
When did RUF first offer the EKS ?
Q,

I believe RUF first offered the EKS option in 1997 with the introduction of the 993 CTR 2.

http://www.911turbo.com/turboclub/history/ruf.html

However, of all the RUFs that I'm aware of (Roland, RUFMD, Superyellowfly, BillS, Adam's R turbo, and the CTR, my BTR) this is the first and only one with the EKS system. I guess most of us still like traditional clutch pedal.

CP
Old 04-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

TB993tt ..... It does have a LSD ... not sure which one ... I'll find out. I'm planning to post an accurate spec on all the parts soon.

The wheels are 18"

The car is at the shop at the moment (don't panic no accident damage) and my paper work is at work. Part two of story will explain, but I havn't had my car for 5 months now.

From memory the rev limited is 6500.

I will be dyno'ing in next 3 to 4 weeks.

Q - They are an H patern standard 993 gearbox (with different gear ratios I believe). The only automated part is the clutch depression and release .... the manual H patern changing is identical to a standard 993TT gear change.

Can I post more than one photo in a reply ??

Last edited by Ruf-Dan-Ruf; 11-20-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Post pics the long way

Old 04-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

and another ... gets my post numbers up I suppose

Old 04-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

The back

Quick Reply: To buy a RUF