Sponsored by:

Clutch Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 01:05 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch Upgrade

I need to replace my slipping clutch and want to do an upgrade..Looking at the FVD clutch for the OEM flywheel rated at 583 ft-lbs max.
Has anyone had any experience with this one and can comment on it? Thanks
Old 03-18-2021, 04:38 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Here is a link.. Shows you various clutch kits built around the Sachs Race 764 pressure plate.

http://ultimatemotorwerks.com/clutch.html

Old 03-18-2021, 07:50 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick in TN
I need to replace my slipping clutch and want to do an upgrade..Looking at the FVD clutch for the OEM flywheel rated at 583 ft-lbs max.
Has anyone had any experience with this one and can comment on it? Thanks
Back when I first bought my car 15 years ago, it had a new 3.8 engine with a new clutch and pressure plate from FVD. Shortly after I bought it, the clutch started slipping because it couldn't handle the addition power from the 3.8. I took the pressure plate to Clutch Masters and they changed the springs in it to give it more clamping force. It worked fine. Then a couple years back I refreshed my engine and put in a new pressure plate. I bought it from FVD https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD1169281...50-nm-max.html. I believe it is a Sachs 764 and works very similar to the FVD/Clutch Masters PP I was previously using.

You didn't mention if your engine was stock or not. I would put in a clutch that best matches your power output.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Exactly about the power output- if it's stock no point to go to a heavier pressure plate. It also depends if you have the stock slave cylinder. I converted my car over to a manual non-power assisted clutch with an MPL cylinder, and the weight is perfect with a standard pressure plate.

I also previously had the 764 plate which was quite a bit heavier in anticipation of some engine mods, but I replaced it since it was in my opinion defective as sourced from Kevin - the engagement point was at the floor when installed, hard to drive the car. Using exactly the same components except for changing out the PP solved the problem, so it had to be the plate.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Clutch Upgrade