Sponsored by:

Clutch accumulator (?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 11:34 AM
TTS in Tokyo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch accumulator (?)

So have a ‘96 993 turbo, less than 35k miles. I shelled out $7k at the dealer to replace, among others, the clutch operating cylinder, pressure valve (which for some reason was more than a grand), and the clutch accumulator. Super expensive, but the clutch accumulator broke. That sucks and dealer is super expensive, but there is no substitute, fine.

But, literally twenty miles after the replacement, I’m in an underground parking lot, and boom, clutch goes hard, steering wheel has no assistance, and I’m spilling oil all over the place. Had to push the car up two floors, get the car on a flatbed, take it back to the dealers. Four weeks later, they are taking the position that the clutch accumulator was defective, was replaced under warranty. Dealer was unhelpful and sort of full of it, acting like I should be thankful that they are doing the replacement for free.

Sort of having a hard time believing that a genuine, simple Porsche part, brand new, just blows up, feels like an installation issue, but am I crazy? Been driving Porsches for 20 years, but last week bought a G63 over a Cayenne, in part because I’m losing faith in the brand....
Old 11-26-2020, 11:43 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Sort of having a hard time believing that a genuine, simple Porsche part, brand new, just blows up, feels like an installation issue, but am I? Been driving Porsches for 20 years, but last week bought a G63 over a Cayenne, in part because I’m losing faith in the brand....[/QUOTE]

What has a 24+ year old 993 Turbo having to do with Porsche Reliability got to do vs a new G63 over a new Cayenne....??? Sounds like a installation issue to me. I would question your mechanics competence. This would have no bearing on my decision to go Mercedes over Porsche plus the fact both vehicles are complete polar opposites.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:45 AM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Loosing faith in the brand? All because of a dealer, who may or may not have experience working on a 24 year old car, put in a defective part or installed it wrong?
New parts are not always perfect & dealers are known to not always be the best at working on these older cars.
Not saying Porsche is perfect, but seems like an odd reason to lose faith in any brand.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:59 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Relieved to hear I am not the only one. I had the exact thing happen to my 3TT this past summer and its being sorted. There is a bad batch of clutch slave cylinders in the parts supply chain and not the accumulator. Accumulator is cheap where as the slave cylinder is not. My clutch slave cylinder lasted 700 miles before blowing everything else up.

Also your clutch is now soaked with power steering fluid and it will slip when you put boost on it 5th gear and higher. All that needs to be replaced. I am fighting with Porsche to get reimbursed for all as the job was done at an indy shop or the indy shop is going to eat this replacement cost.

Paging Mark.. this should be in the 3TT section.
The following users liked this post:
TTS in Tokyo (11-27-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 05:59 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Why is there no substitute for dealer repairs? I thought it was the opposite with these cars. I wouldn’t even let the local Porsche dealer replace my hood shocks.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Chao, thanks for the suggestion; moving this thread to the 993 Turbo forum.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:35 AM
TTS in Tokyo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Relieved to hear I am not the only one. I had the exact thing happen to my 3TT this past summer and its being sorted. There is a bad batch of clutch slave cylinders in the parts supply chain and not the accumulator. Accumulator is cheap where as the slave cylinder is not. My clutch slave cylinder lasted 700 miles before blowing everything else up.

Also your clutch is now soaked with power steering fluid and it will slip when you put boost on it 5th gear and higher. All that needs to be replaced. I am fighting with Porsche to get reimbursed for all as the job was done at an indy shop or the indy shop is going to eat this replacement cost.

Great... have to worry about the clutch too... love the 993 but sort of turning into tough love these days. Thx for the info though.

maybe its just me, but I feel like Porsche dealers were more driver oriented a decade ago. Now it feels like going to the bmw dealer.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:13 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by TTS in Tokyo
Great... have to worry about the clutch too... love the 993 but sort of turning into tough love these days. Thx for the info though.

maybe its just me, but I feel like Porsche dealers were more driver oriented a decade ago. Now it feels like going to the bmw dealer.
Well said Chao. I feel like when I walk into a Porsche dealer, having any significant knowledge or passion for cars is a repellent. I am better off pulling up in my Mercedes and they all light up like I am easy prey...ready to upsell me on any bull$**t they think I will believe. I still love the brand, but like you say....it gets harder to love, especially if you're required to have a dealer involved.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I dumped the power slave cylinder years ago - now using a MPL slave cylinder to reduce the load, changed a bit of plumbing and changed out the pedal cluster spring, and the weight is about the same as my friends GT3RS - great feel too. I love the simplicity and much cheaper to replace. This does not work with a heavier pressure plate, but mine is a stock one on a RS flywheel.

Porsche parts are warranted for a year (I think) so there should be no whining from the dealer.

I am just saying that is an option when the power assisted slave goes again, which it will eventually. :-(

Cheers,

Mike
The following users liked this post:
tootrn (08-19-2023)
Old 11-28-2020, 04:46 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

I wish you are closer to me Mike... Parts have warranty but labor is not part of the deal. Also clutch is not part of the Porsche slave cylinder warranty.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:05 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 227 Likes on 185 Posts

2 years on Genuine Porsche parts, but..........................................good luck getting them to agree, they dont make it easy
Old 12-04-2020, 02:40 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone interested, I purchased a new accumulator years ago for my 1997 993 Turbo as a spare part figuring that like most Porsche parts, it would cost me much more when it eventually went out...well, it didn't and now that I've sold the car, it's still sitting in the original factory box, brand new. I'm going to post it in the classifieds and on the Porsche 993 swap thread when I get a moment but figured I'd make the folks on this thread aware. Judging by the comments above, it seems the quality of these have diminished in recent years...this one was purchased in 2014 - not sure if that makes any difference.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:01 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74

just had the same issue. Replaced slave and accumulator about 200 miles ago and it **** the bed on the way home, clutch was hard as a rock, then lost power steering then smoke and fluid pouring out of engine bay

Old 08-06-2023, 01:34 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Most of the replacement and posts for the slave probably happened 10-15 years ago. (That thing is a royal pain to replace, and needs some modified tools).

The hydraulic lines are something that can fail too (this post reminded me due to my recent fuel line thread). Hydraulic lines would be reasonable to look at too. I’ve had mine fail 2x, drops right onto the exhaust!, got fed up and deleted the hydraulics all together (993 slave/964rs manual rack - changed to mpl slave and 993 clutch pedal assist spring). But can keep the power steering and just cap off the hydraulics and use a manual 993 slave).

fun stuff

Last edited by Basal Skull; 08-06-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 02:03 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Most of the replacement and posts for the slave probably happened 10-15 years ago. (That thing is a royal pain to replace, and needs some modified tools).

The hydraulic lines are something that can fail too (this post reminded me due to my recent fuel line thread). Hydraulic lines would be reasonable to look at too. I’ve had mine fail 2x, drops right onto the exhaust!, got fed up and deleted the hydraulics all together (993 slave/964rs manual rack - changed to mpl slave and 993 clutch pedal assist spring). But can keep the power steering and just cap off the hydraulics and use a manual 993 slave).

fun stuff
yeah, fun stuff exactly. Car is running so well too!!!

Good point on the hydraulic lines… I’m loathe to change it from what Porsche intended, so will have it kept stock….

In general, these issues are getting tiresome. I chalk it up to it comes with a 30yo high performance car, but i am questioning the reliability lately…

Quick Reply: Clutch accumulator (?)