Sponsored by:

Liqui-Moly Valve Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 01:24 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Liqui-Moly Valve Cleaner

Has anyone used this? Opinions? I only found one post at Rennlist for the valve cleaner.

https://products.liqui-moly.com/valve-clean-6.html

Thanks,

G.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

What is the intention, fix a problem or preventative? If it's fix, I have had way more success for example pulling injectors, getting them cleaned than using a gas based cleaner, and going from there. As for preventative, I have not seen any real data if it works, but there are tons of opinions out there, but even more "data" that is usually provided by the suppliers.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:51 AM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike,

I have not used and did not intend to but was trying to substantiate a claim that this product eliminated valve ticking.

Thank for responding.

Best,

G.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:07 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Got it, thanks! I think most of our lifter failures have been because the O ring that seals the lifter to the rocker arm deteriorates and its harder for the lifter to hold pressure. I have pulled quite a few and its rare that I see the O rings intact, and sometimes they are missing entirely.

I think a search for replacement O rings happened on the list in the past, but no direct replacements were found (not to say they don't exist).

Makes it pretty hard for an additive to fix that .. :-).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-29-2020, 03:42 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Mike. Interestingly, the car that I am referencing had the hydraulic lifters replaced a year ago and has only been driven 200 miles since. The valve guides were not done at that time (50K miles) despite an engine out service. The valve guides must have some wear and there is an intermittent tick even after the car is warm. It was represented that this product eliminated the tick and I am trying to substantiate. Obviously the car has not been driven a whole lot either further complicating a diagnostic. I had a compression test (but not leak down) done and it was fine. There is no telltale smoke and only a small oil seep. Due to low use, I cannot tell if it is burning oil at a rate that would yield insights. So, the tick was a bit concerning.

Best,

G.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:36 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Mostly Unrelated - But I have never been a fan of these additives but while browsing some detailed and lengthy repair bills for a Ferrari F40 at SanFrancisco Sports Cars I noticed they used an additive called Swepco 503. It was one of the last items on the invoice list. It was part of the F40's major service. Any thoughts on the Swepco 503? I searched for it on Rennlist and it's mentioned from time to time. If it's good enough for an F40 with almost 7000 miles it can't be bad for my car with 24,xxx miles. Right? I still need to finish the tank of fuel I have left. Then oil change.

ETA - I just noticed it was under "CUSTOMER REQUEST" items.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SWEPCO-Ga...ttle/193969218

https://www.sanfranciscosportscars.c...rari-f40-c-62/

Quick Reply: Liqui-Moly Valve Cleaner