Sponsored by:

993 Turbo or 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Turbo or 996 Turbo?

Okay, I am not trying to start a 993 vs. 996 flame war. I am honestly trying to determine the differences between the two models, and advantages/disadvantages of each. Both are obviously stunning cars.

It looks like a "moderate mileage" 2001 996 TT goes for around $80-85k, whereas as similar 1996/97 993 TT goes for about $20k less.

I can see advantages of owned a "last of the air-cooled" 993TT (more raw, equivalent power, classic styling)...and advantages of the 996TT (better technology, smoother power delivery, modern styling, fewer age problems).

Some people are saying the 996TT depreciation curve will steady for the next couple of years as Porsche is shifting focus to the Turbo Cabs.

The 993TT depreciation curve may steady also (for the above reasons...last of its kind, etc.).

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think this gets into a religous discussion that is usually peppered with opinions, and few facts. I'd simply drive them both, and go with the car that suits your driving style better. The depreciation will fall where it may, and is hard to predict.

I will say, however, the the 993TTs seem to be aging very well, with few issues. They seem to be unusually robust.

Still... gotta get some serious seat time in both.

And... you can't lose either way... both are incredible cars!
Old 02-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have to agree you need to try both. As much as I was determined to get a 993tt I drove the 996tt just to be sure. Can't go wrong either way, but I am driving my choice. Mike W
Old 02-11-2004, 05:35 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, great first reply to a question like this.

Sean, there was a post just like this on the 996TT forum as well of which I posted a few times. And as Steve pointed out, it was peppered with opinions because its just too hard to say one car is "better" than the other. I'd also look at that thread to see which opinions you agree with more to sway you one way or the other. I for one, like everyone on this forum, am extremely happy with my 993TT. The other day I crossed paths with two different silver 996TT's on our local freeway. One trailed me for a good ten miles. When I stepped on it he was right there, which is a strange feeling since every other car I can pull away from w/o a second thought. It was fun running with the guy. The other 996TT came up to me, gave me a thumbs up and nod and went on his way. I guess the point I am trying to make, is that we all oogle over each other's TT just becuase of the common love for the marque.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

easy buy ZCAT's its got everything already.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Having driven several late-80's 930 turbo and owned an '89 930, having driven several 993tt and currently own one, and having driven the water-cooled 996tt, I think I'm qualified to add my two-cents worth...

First, I have to agree with all of the above comments - so I'm basically not going to add anything new. But I will say that the only way to decide IS to "get some serious seat time in both".

Whichever car puts the biggest smile on your face, whichever car gets you the biggest/most thumbs-up from other motorists, friends, and neighbors, and whichever car makes you feel like you own THE best car ever made - buy it!! It just boils down to these personal feelings, imo.

Enjoy the seat time. Enjoy the experience.

Dan
Old 02-11-2004, 09:09 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking strictly from a financial perspective, if all things remain the same, you could conceivably get the 993TT, drive it for a year or more and then probably sell it and get a 996TT and get some money back.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Addison is on to something so here is my 2cents other than
ZCATs. there were more 996TT's made in 2001 than the whole
993TT run (96 and 97) so from a rarity point the 993 will be
harder to get. Now from my experiences in driving both
a 996 cab and a 996TT, the 996 is just too refined for me.'
I like the feel of the 993TT and the drop dead gorgeous
body. Having said that I beleive the 996TT motor is just as
reliable as the 993TT and does NOT suffer the same problems
as the 996 NA car.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

I love these topics, probably because Sean and I are in the same spot. I'm trying to think of how I'm going to use it, also. It's unfortunate, but I don't have weekends free to go on hour long joy rides, it will be more of a 5 minute commute, run errands a half hour to 'the city' and back, parked in parking lots (far away, but still :-(). And I already race a kart, can't get much more 'raw' than that.

That all said, my major criteria is to have an interior that makes me say "oh yeah" the first time I see it, and an exterior I'm proud to wax in my free evening every few months. Enjoy the ride, the time it spends parked you never get back, and the only regret you'll have is not having bought it sooner.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

there is no answer to these discussions... and to make it worse [pardon me], both are great cars, i have enjoyed both TT's equally, but don't forget the GT2! it's available in 996, it's almost an entirely different car from TT and transcends it by a large margin. truly porsche's greatest car [pre-CGT].

and do we have anyone here who can wax estatic about the 993 GT2? i wish they were importable....
Old 02-12-2004, 12:04 AM
4flynlow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I initially started out to own the 996 TT. I drove a six speed and a tiptronic and was very impressed with both. After talking to several enthusiasts they suggested I drive the 993 TT for comparison purposes. Needless to say I feel in love with the lines and the much sportier driving experience. I wanted a true sports car and that is what the 993 TT is. It is the last of a highly evolved race bred performance car.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Watt wouldnt you say though that you need to posess certain
driving skills to drive the GT2? To be rewarded properly by
the GT2 you need to have skills that are greater than the
average driver? For me if I had the oppurtunity to buy a GT2
I would first learn the 993TT ( which I am doing now) then entertain
the idea of stepping up the the much heralded GT2, once I
understand the basics of being a good driver.
not to mention the GT2 is a order of magnitute more in cost.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

The stock 996GT2 is a pussycat compared to a tuned 500hp+ 993TT and it is miles away from the rawness of the 993GT2.
The 993GT2 was built to go racing, the 996GT2 was built as a road car. I have a friend pestering me to buy his 996GT2 (for a scarily cheap price) and having driven it now a few times I haven't changed MO, it is a fantastically sorted rear engined 911 with a linear power delivery and superb throttle steerability (is that a word). A lovely car. But...... In stock form it is light years away from the sensoral brutality I enjoy daily in my (993GT2 race engine spec) 993. The 996GT2 would no doubt be faster round the track than most 993s but that is not the point for a road car is it ?
I am begining to wonder if it is an age thing happening here - I grew up going through the 911 range from 1982 to 1995 (7 cars) and became addicted to the "rawness" and over engineered feel of the original chassis -the 996 range - even the turbo and GT2 always felt too soft and even ricey. Many of the contributors here(996tt owners), whilst they may have owned a 993tt, do not seem to have got hung up on the issues I have with the 996 range. It seems to have happened in the magazines as well, the younger testers who never drove a 911 before, proclaiming the 996/turbo/GT2 as the best 911s ever etc. The recent test in EVO mag, UK was most interesting when a number of testers of all ages tested the full range of 911s from '73 to 996GT2 and to a man they all preferred the older generation saying the 996s (GT2 inc) were too soft.
Thanks for reading rant about self justification of spending small fortune to maintain 9 Y/O car when a perfectly good new alternative is right in front of me
Old 02-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

OG,

i get maybe 70% out of a GT2 now, having been training, maybe up from 40% on my first one. I have done laps with Cort Wanger at Willow in my SY GT2 and it blew my mind i think it was 1.28 with a passenger. it takes his level of skill or more to use it all. i only love them because i live in S CA. If i did chronic high speed bad weather driving, TT is a must w/ 4WD.

TB

"I have a friend pestering me to buy his 996GT2 (for a scarily cheap price) and having driven it now a few times I haven't changed MO, it is a fantastically sorted rear engined 911 with a linear power delivery and superb throttle steerability (is that a word). A lovely car."

I bought my brand new 03 with 67 miles on it this week, so cheap, it's the performance deal of my lifetime, as was my last 2 02's. And clearly you know the car.

When you add mod,s to the discussion, it becomes even more diffuse. i was referring stock to stock and should have said so. TT's are better to toss power on w/ 4WD. but as you say, it costs a small fortune. i like stock because i'm selling all the time and stock cars are fungible and pay better on the way out for fools like me. [it's very easy to have a 600 HP gt2]

as for "softness" in a 996 GT2, if you raise the sways to 4 front 5 rear, they not only remove all roll but stiffen the car, and you can use race springs and the entire suspension is sortable. for pounding around on my bumpy mountain roads, 2/3 or even 1/2 is best on the bars. Yes it's a road car, but a superb one.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:06 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think these type of questions could easily be answered with the following:
"If you have to ask, you probably should go for a 996".

For me, the 911 stopped at the 996. I had my first 'go' in a 996TT the other day and, yes, it's fast etc but has no character at all and was full of cheap plastics and a carbon fibre kit that made the dash look like a mobile phone facia!

If you're the kind of person who likes a new car, latest this or that then by all means go for a 996. If on the other hand you know where the 911 evolution ended, you don't need to ask here!

For me, even if money was no issue i could only ever look at a 993TT in my garage. It's a passion thing. If you haven't for the passion then it might make the bills harder to swallor!

Just my pennies worth!

Alan

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo or 996 Turbo?