Sponsored by:

993 TT S value and price/performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 993 TT S value and price/performance

i was looking at Sloan's and was gobsmacked to see the prices on S turbo's!! [i can buy a new GT2 for less]

1] is 150+ the market? or maybe only 100 with a few miles...
2] can there really be enough increase in performance vs a regular 97 TT to maintain a similar price/performance ratio at those prices???

Thanks for your knowledge
Old 01-22-2004, 01:24 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having never driven one, but also noticing the very high prices (though you will see them in the 90s as soon as there is some mileage), I suspect it's a lot like the widebody NA cars, etc. There are not many of them, and if in original condition and low miles, they simply command a premium fo rthat reason. It can't be the 24 horsepower or the other functional upgrades, which don't cost that much (ie:20-50k over the price of a 97tt), right?

In short, I think they are very special, very rare cars, and so command a premium.

If you want performance, only, and not the same level of exclusivity, there are cheaper ways to go.

you could also see Mr. Ruf and spend more...
Old 01-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

stedge,

i was hoping to hear from you and fine property on that white slc car. tried emailing u... [watt@oakwoodcap.com]
Old 01-22-2004, 01:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Watt, having bought a car from Sloan you should NEVER
look at his site with a Gob standing around. A gobsmack
is sure to follow. Sloans prices (all) are high. He will dicker
but you got to be tough to get a good price. plus alot of
his stuff is on consignment.
his prices have been creeping down though
Old 01-22-2004, 01:46 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: 993 TT S value and price/performance

Originally posted by watt

2] can there really be enough increase in performance vs a regular 97 TT to maintain a similar price/performance ratio at those prices???

Thanks for your knowledge
It seems to be a strangely American obsession with the Turbo S, even though the Euro version is better specified - 450PS engine, complete suspension package (costing US$15000 to retrofit). In Europe the Turbo S only fetches a small premium. The US Turbo S is what ?
ECU and twin exhaust outlets
Yellow paint on calipers
rear vents in wings
Techart fog light/brake cooling inlets
Front spoiler lip
rear spoiler
lots of leather
a few decals ?
Is that everything ?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:11 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watt:

I emailed or PM'd you about a week ago...

Will try the address you posted
Old 01-22-2004, 03:49 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Originally posted by stedge
Watt:

I emailed or PM'd you about a week ago...

Will try the address you posted
I, too, just send you an email to that address.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:55 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I test drove a turbo S last year, and it was asking $109k, with 28k miles. It drove nice. I was seriousely tempted. But with regular 993 tts to be had in the high $60k range, the S's prices seem out of touch now.

If I am to own the car forever, I'd seriousely consider importing one from Germany and federalize it. If the USD recovers against the Euro (a BIG IF), that would be a great buy.

But of course, with the RUF in the garage, there'll never be the need for the TTS for me now.

CP
Old 01-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

If you don't mind my adding my two cents worth...

I don't believe the premium asked for the Turbo S is necessarily based on performance, interior upgrades (leather, carbon fiber), or cool body styling. Another "factor" to consider is the rareness and collectibility of the car.

I spent several months recently looking at trading my 993tt for a Turbo S. My decision points were based on my perception of the car's "rareness" and "collectibility". The value of the Turbo S, IMO, is, perhaps, mostly driven by these two variables.

No doubt the Turbo S's "rareness" will always be there. There were only 182 of these last-ever air cooled gems ever made and, no doubt, a few have been wrecked - so the number of surviving Turbo S's is even less.

The "collectibility" side of things will vary depending (a lot) on how many miles are put on the car. A very low miles example of a Turbo S will command a higher price than a higher miles example. So, if you plan on driving your Turbo S more than a few hundred miles a year, the "collectibility" side of the resale value declines.

For me, it boiled down to the fact that I plan on putting about 5K miles on my car each year. I felt the collectibility of owning a Turbo S and putting 5K miles/year on it was not worth the premium I would have had to pay between the sales value of my 97 993tt and the purchase price being asked for several Turbo S's I had looked at. In the past two years of owning the 97 993tt, I've put on 8K miles and my smile is just as broad! :-)

If you are after the performance, I agree, buy a 97tt and do your own mods - you can do a lot to the car for the premium you' pay to get 424 hp in the Turbo S.

If you are after the value of a very limited run car, you'll always have the "rareness" but you may not retain the "collectibility" the higher the odometer goes.

For what it is worth, I had contacted Sloan regarding two of his cars. He was extremely responsive and did seem willing to negotiate. He's had some of his cars in stock for quite some time.

Good luck and have fun.

Dan
'97 993tt

Quick Reply: 993 TT S value and price/performance