variable vane turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:23 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default variable vane turbo question

I was told on the 964T board that Kevin has great insight into Turbo selection. I am looking at upgrading my '91 964T to a LW flywheel and Garrett variable vane Turbo. Any thoughts on the V V turbo's?
Maverick
Old 01-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Pete K
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy were you misled, we know nothing over here on the 993 board.

Pete
Old 01-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Maverick;

I would stay away from the variable vane turbochargers for our applications at this present time in history. While at the factory I was able to see a sneak peak of the different variable vanes that KKK/BorgWarner were putting into production. Garrett has them in many automotive cars like the VW's... The problem is getting one sized for your 3.3ltr engine... The factory Variable Vanes are limited in size and application. This subject has come up from time to time. It would require thousands of dollars in R & D... Carbon build up is a major issue with the vanes failing (they get stuck).. This is being cures by the ECU turning the servo on to wipe the vanes at startup and other cycles. All in all, we are in the beginning stages for this type of turbo design... We all have to wait and see how it does.. As for the real issue for your car. There are many options available. From twin turbo designs to high effiecient single turbo applications...

Quick Reply: variable vane turbo question