993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k16/24 hybrids, where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004 | 07:34 PM
Chris Bloch
7th Gear

Default k16/24 hybrids, where can I get one?

Hello, I am the proud owner of a area red 1996 TT. I live in Michigan, drove the car for a month, now have it a bit appart in the garage, and could use some direction on Turbo mods. I have been reading, and have decided that I would like to have 550 hp in the spring. I have a second oil cooler to add for cooling. I just opened the cats, knocked the out, and welded the pipes back together, so no cats. I have the turbo's off, they were just replaced by the previous owner ( car only has 25,000 miles). The turbos are stock k16 units. I would like information on who can make these into hybrids k16/24 for me. From what I read in this forum in the past this might be the best set up for me. I have read that the k24 units have more lag, but without the cats I may still be better off with k24 units.
It appears that the housings for the k16 and k24 units are the same it is the internals that are different.

I could use some direction on who I could send my turbos to for modification, what it might cost, and what might be the best set up for me. Fast Street driving and alot of track events next year for me. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-06-2004 | 08:29 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Chris,

My turbo's are out and up in Oregon for a rebuild. I am having them made into hybrids. Kevin up there is the turbo rebuilder of choice on this board. You can reach him at 800-838-3064. I wll add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and replace the ecu on the next go round. Then aux oil cooler, pss9's and muffler by-passes!

Thanks to ViperBob for giving me the push down the famous slippery slope!

If he sees your post, he may chime in directly.

Hal
Old 01-06-2004 | 08:54 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Alright Chris... a man after my own HP. If you want to reach Kevin, please send him an email at kmatwichuk@att.net That is the best wasy to contact him. I do not think that phone number is valid any longer. Kevin can answer your questions on all the turbo possibilities.

What oil cooler do you have? I hope it is the large Cargraphic model. You should also consider front brake ducts in the bumper just to let more air into the coolers. I find that it works great for the track.

You have a LOT of work ahead of you to get to that level, and balance all the rest of the car (ECU, suspension, brakes, weight, etc). I have been this path, and I would be glad to answer any questions. Send me an emai, or give me a call sometime..

When they get close to 600HP, they are a lot of FUN..

Good luck....
Old 01-06-2004 | 10:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Chris:

I'll just add that no matter what turbos you ultimately choose, you'll need an ECU that is reprogrammed to take advantage of any of these modifications.

We use and recommend GIAC software, but there are others.
Old 01-07-2004 | 12:14 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I second Bob.. get the Turbos from kevin matwichuk... He'll sort you out and come up with some solutions that work for your car.
Old 01-07-2004 | 03:33 AM
Chris Bloch
7th Gear

Thanks Hall, Bob, and all for the quick response, this is fantastic, it is exactly what I needed to keep me moving. I will get ahold of Kevin right away and get my turbo's up to him for the rework to what ever he feels is the best choice. To answer Bob's questions, for the oil cooler I am going to add a second stock oem oil cooler right in front of the factory unit. With some research it seems that this is a good solution and should help keep my temps down. I am going to get the front of the car appart here in the next month and will let you know how that all works out. My car has a techart front with the added brake ducts in the front for the added cooling which will help also. From what I can see (2) stock coolers should have as much if not more cooling area than the aftermarket coolers out there, and should be cheaper, I am just getting into this part of the project.
Suspension is lowered with HR springs, but dampers are stock, and brakes are stock, Hawk pads for the track and Oem pads for the street. I need to order stainless brake lines, but have not found a spot to order them yet. Most places list lines for non turbo 993 cars but not the turbo's, but the flexible stainless part of the system looks like they are the same.
ECU upgrades are also going to happen this winter. I have been thinking of the UNICHIP so that I can make changes as I upgrade this car in the future. My car is a 1996 and to make a chip change I have to change to the 1997 ecu which gets expensive and a chip change will not allow for changes as I go. I while ago I had a 1982 930 with Electromotive engine management, a bit old school but at the time was the best product out there, and i really enjoyed being able to make changes as i went along. If anyone has any suggestions in this area, I would greatly appreciate it.
For the last 2 months I have read everything I could on this site about modifications to these cars, it has been very informative, and great reading.
I will drive the **** out of this car, and put a fair amount of street and track miles on it. Therefore it needs to stay together which is why I am going to shoot for 450 hp or a bit more for now. It seems like this is possible with the mods that you guys have recomended. For now I am working on the 6.5 hr (per factory) job of changing the spark plugs, 1-5 are just the usual knuckle busters, # 6 is the hard one, have to get at it from the bottom, exhaust and other stuff has to come off. CEL light on now, misfire in # 6 is the code, at 25,000 miles I bet no one has taken the time to get this plug changed!!!!! HA, thanks again guys for the help. look forward to talking more with you all here again.
Old 01-07-2004 | 03:56 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris, thats quite a project you have before you. Just one newbie question: What's the weight difference with your approach of using two stock oil coolers vs just adding a Cargraphic, for example, to the existing system? Also, by having one oil cooler block the other, won't that degrade the cooling ability of the one behind significantly? Oops, make that two questions

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2004 | 09:59 AM
Chris Bloch
7th Gear

Hey Mike

I am not sure about the weight, i will have to check this when i get them out. I have a mechanical engineering degree, and have worked for a major HVAC company for 22 years. We basically make heat exchangers and for the most part the rows and surface area are the important thing for cooling. Also the direction of flow, counter flow is the best way to pipe these. The hotest oil sees the air last. The one cooler will fit infront of the other one, the second one will get hotter air but still provide additional cooling. My assumptions are that the two stock coolers might have more area than the cargraphic unit, but not sure. I will make some measurements, and drop a note when i get them out. The stock coolers are $ 300, then you need some piping to make the connection between the coolers. It comes out alot cheaper, I am not a cheap guy, just like to mess around in the garage and make things.
For you guys out there that like to mess around with stuff, I have another interesting add on. Subaru wrx sti units have a water spray for the outside of the intercooler to add some evaporative cooling. I spent some time at the dealer last week to look this over, interesting. Nothing more than a high pressure nozzle like we have on our headlight washers mounted on the top of the intercooler. I am going to add this also, part of the reason that I want to use the unichip system is that it has some outputs that i can use. When the boost goes above .8 bar the cooling spray will be turned on for a short period of time. I am going to use my wiper washer bottle in the car for this, for the summer I will use just water and can use it for both. I will have a switch in the car to activate this system when I need it. This should allow for more cooling out of the stock intercooler, and again be fun thing to add. Anyway enough for now, better get to work to pay for some of this fun.
Old 01-07-2004 | 10:04 AM
Chris Bloch
7th Gear

Hey Mike

One more thing, we have alot in common.
suzuki tl1000r Ahrma # 197, CCS # 197
1976 Suzuki RE-5 rotary
2003 Buell x-1 lighting
1967 MotoGuzzi V-7 sport
(2) Yamaha YSR-50's
Yamaha Blaster 200
Suzuki LT 125 quad

My first love is bikes and racing them, been doing it for 15 years now, even had my pro license in 1987, 1988 years, raced suzuki's then with some factory money. 1996 TT is the only thing that will accelerate like a good bike and handle and stop to boot, and you can take the wife out to dinner in it also. It is a great supercar for the street that you can use, I am really enjoying making it mine this winter in the garage. take care

Quick Reply: k16/24 hybrids, where can I get one?