Boost Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 10:55 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Gauge

I would like to get a boost gauge for my TT. The car has a boost controller set at 1 bar. Our factory unit only reads to .8. There have been some posts lately but I have these questions -

1) who makes a good gauge/best place to buy it
2) cost
3) how difficult to install/time
4) I do not want to replace the clock or put the gauge in the a/c outlet. Any other recommendations as to placement? thanks
Old 12-31-2003, 11:23 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You are running out of options Mike. Most of the factory or aftermarket gauges mount in one of the locations that you do not want to give up. I now that TB993TT has a gauge installed on top of the dash.

I have not seen any gauge other than the ones mentioned for our cars.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob, Could a gauge be hooked up on one side of the console, facing up. It should not be any harder to read than one placed in the drivers side lower a/c outlet. Who makes these gauges?
Old 12-31-2003, 03:17 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that one of the German tuners made a boost guage that replaces your clock ....afterall how often do you really use the clock? esp if your radio has a clock already.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:37 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Default Re: Boost Gauge

Originally posted by Mike W
Our factory unit only reads to .8.
There were some mentions in another thread that people have seen .9...I don't understand how they would have a GAUGE that doesn't actually display the correct info.

Last edited by FineProperty; 12-31-2003 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:54 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess they didn't see a reason to program it for higher than factory boost levels.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:04 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Mike,

You could hook one up anywhere. Autometer I'm sure makes a nice gauge. The problem is that you really don't want to take your eyes that far off the road trying to watch your boost. Adam had one the fits in one of the upper A/C vent ducts. I am getting the one to replace my clock. Tb993TTs is also in his field of vision. These I feel are the proper placements. Even the Andial one, which is pretty clever, is down in the vent on the left side. I Don't think I would be watching a gauge down there. But other people have them and like them.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:11 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

So...other than the thrill of knowing where boost levels are, is there a need for more accuracy? My 2004 Volvo runs 1 bar of boost, but there is nothing but my butt to tell me when that is occuring. Do I need to know? I know that "I want to know." Is there a turbo issue that can be diagnosed? Can I launch quicker if I load up the engine with the brakes and get some boost? I know that every time I've driven a 993TT I love to check the numbers...and I wish my Volvo R had one...but it's about $300.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You don't really need it for these cars unless you like to know how your boost is doing. In my case, I have an external boost controller, so I can change my settings at will. These are not as precise though the boost controller, so when I make changes I need to make sure they are appropriate for the temp, and fuel that I am using. I want to get the max out of the car, but I also do not want to overboost and have a melt down. That would be bad...
Old 12-31-2003, 08:33 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get a heads up display boost gauge.. I remember it was discussed here a few years ago. It was kinda of neat, although you have to put a clear sticker on part of your windshield for the lettering to appear properly.

BUT they appear to be discountineud as of 6/5/03... you could check alternate sources or contact the manufacturer??

Here's the link:
http://www.machv.com/headupdisboo.html

This has got to be one of the most amazing car accessories we have ever seen. It's a Heads Up Display (HUD) boost gauge. Oh, and it has a built-in automatic turbo timer.

First, the boost gauge function. For those of you who don't like the idea of a pillar gauge mount cluttering up the looks of your gorgeous interior, this boost gauge is for you. The HUD works by projecting an LED display upwards onto the windshield. This technology is factory-issue on jet fighter planes, not to mention some cars. A special smoked-plastic piece adheres to the window for optimal reflection. The gauge reads in bar, up to 1.6 bar (about 23 psi) and has both a digital readout and a circular bar graph. It also features a peak-hold feature, and a user-selectable overboost alarm.

Then there's the turbo timer. The timer figures out how hard the car is being run (it reads boost, remember) and adjusts the countdown time accordingly. Less cool-down for light running, more cool-down for hard driving. Or you can set it manually.

The H.U.D. boost gauge/turbo timer is manufactured by Nippon-Seiki, a leader in OEM gauge electronics. (They make many of the factory-issue H.U.D. devices, like on the Corvette.)

The display unit measures 3 1/3" x 2 1/2" x 3/4" high.

The kit includes the display unit, boost transducer, turbo timer module, control unit, wiring harness, and all little bits you need to hook it up.

See below for additional pictures of a unit custom-installed on our Audi A4. Note that we had our local stereo shop build a little pod to cover the display unit; it's a one-off, and we don't offer them for sale. Updated 7/05/02

Availability Update 06/05/03: These great devices have been discontinued. They may be redesigned in the future, however, until then, they are unavailable.

61140$259.00

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge