Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 03:08 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's got everything delightful She's got everything I need

Well almost everything.

I just got home after having K24's, Aux oil cooler, Bailey Diverter Valves, Spark Plugs (9F7LTC4), AWE Heat Exchanger, AWE Exhaust installed and here are the results. What a blast to drive. The dyno numbers are with 93/94 octane fuel. I am head out for some high octane stuff in the morning FWIW.

This chart is showing the base line boost plot before mods.

This is showing the boost plot after the software change.

These pictures were taken before the heat was hooked back up, but you can get an idea of what is going on here. The heat functions like a stock car.

You should see these glow on the dyno.

I tried the 5.0 FPR, and with the GIAC chip we lost about 30HP. The A/F got down in the 9's. The exhaust note is aggressive and you can see it is very straight forward with lots of room for air movement (cooling). I am not sure about the exact weight loss but there was one as you can see. There are 300 cell Cats inside the mufflers. The acceleration is very similar to a stock car except harder and longer (no lag), if you know what I mean. I am going to install a larger intercooler soon courtesy of Steve W.

I want to thank the guys at AWE for a job well done Todd, Mike, Kenny, and Brian make a great team. And thanks to Steve W. for your counsel and support. Now all I have to do is the LWF/clutch, suspension, wheels/tires............................

Happy Holidays

Last edited by KRA993tt; 12-24-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:03 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Interesting info, Keith, thanks for sharing. A gain of 70 horsepower and 60 ft-lbs of torque must feel great, particularly since the shapes of the power/torque curves are largely the same as the stock ones. The AWE exhaust in particular looks fantastic.

Your package looks very similar to Mike Sbota's, although his dyno'd somewhere north of 500 hp (for a brief peak). The only differences I can discern are cat-less exhaust and perhaps some machining of the k-24 wheels. Any idea/discussion from AWE about what it would take to make it to 500 hp? I'm wrestling with whether to do a next stage of mods, basically between staying at a "stage 1" level where I am now, adding a Ruf Turbo R package, or adding larger turbos, software, cat bypass (for off-road use only!) from miscellaneous vendors (which would be a lot cheaper than a full Ruf conversion). I sure wish Viperbob lived on the East Coast.

Just trying to collect data.

Again, nice job!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi John,

You have to qualify the HP/Torque numbers that go flying around. The numbers you see here are from a 4 wheel chassis dyno and represent the relative change that takes place with this upgrade. If you look at the base line HP/Torque numbers and convert them to stock porsche numbers you can get an idea of crank HP/Torque numbers after the mods were completed. Lots of variables.

Mike and I need to hook up to compare our cars. I think they would be in the same general ball park. And this is definitely not the Ruf package. No internal engine changes.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Vinnie
Instructor

Keith,

That's great! Congratulations on the car, its definitely beautiful! I have a similar set up with NO CATS and only got about 5 more HP?! But my torque was at 400?! Can they put 200 cell cats in that set up? Can't wait to get this on my car :-)
Old 12-24-2003, 10:34 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I agree with your thoughts on horsepower/torque numbers, Keith.

Which "aux oil cooler" did you go with?

Last edited by John H. in DC Area; 12-24-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:25 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

A quick % increase calc on your base line HP gives you about 470 flywheel -very nice for just a few mods and a nice "motronic controlled" boost curve. Your standard curve looks a bit dodgy, the power should not tail off like that after 5900 rpm.
One question, why does the dyno only read power to 6250rpm, is this deliberate by the operator or is the scale wrong ?
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:43 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vinnie,

Thanks and I hope you don't mind me borrowing your wheels . They look perfect on these cars. About the cats I don't know that would be up to the folks at AWE.

John,

I went with the turbo S cooler for now and will see how it performs.

TB993tt

About the standard curve I am not positive what was happening there. I did replace the throttle position sensor? And the RPM shut down I believe was deliberate caution.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:47 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Way to go Keith. Looks like you have a nice setup going there.

Kind of confused on the 5.0 bar APR. When you used this your A/R ratio was in the 9s? Did they try to adjust the regulator to give a better A/F ratio? Do you know pressure they had it set to at idle??? Also, which intercooler are you getting?
Old 12-24-2003, 03:17 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob it is good to be driving the car again.

About the fuel pressure regulator, I don't think there is an adjustment is there? It was a porsche motorsports 5.0 bar FPR. And at idle sorry no idea, it was just getting to much fuel. Do you think there is still more to get with more fuel?

The Cargraphics Monster, I had to get a second mortgage

I am going to attempt a Pss9 install next. You may be getting a call when I get going on that one.

Old 12-24-2003, 05:16 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith,

Nice mods! How much weight do AWE exhausts save over stock and how is the sound it produces?

Cheers,
Old 12-24-2003, 06:14 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Keith,

The FPR is adjustable. There is an allen screw on the side with a locking nut that adjusts the static pressure. They should have used this to help adjust the FP on the dyno. When you get the intercooler, you should be able to gain cooler inlet temps, and hopefully need a little more fuel..

I have helped others with long distance PSS9 installs... I be happy to do what I can. Call me anytime. They are kind of fun to install. I have another install scheduled for Saturday with Pong's RUF BTR. That will be different. Poor guy.. He thought he would not need to do anything to his RUF. I am already starting a campaign for new BIG Brembo brakes on his car. Ok, Ok, so I am a bad influence...

Last edited by viperbob; 12-27-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:45 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Kieth,

Take my advice and plan a nice roadtrip to Viperbob's house for your next round of modifications. He is a great guy, and really takes care of the car as if it were his own. I am completely impressed by both the person and the skill. The BBQ wasn't too shabby also. If he gets a lift, I'm moving to NorCal!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:50 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike,

I really don't know but I would guess in the 30 lb. range. The sound is best described as a rumble and it changes with driving conditions. I don't know if it is all exhaust or software tuning as well but you can really hear the engine growl.

Bob,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. If you can get someone with a newly acquired Ruf to do further mods your reputation is definitely well deserved.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:56 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Every neighborhood should have a Viperbob. I am not sure my wallet could withstand the pressure though. I've been waiting to hear your impression of the Pss9's. What do you think?

Quick Reply: She's got everything delightful She's got everything I need