Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

"blip" the throttle while part of your right foot still on the brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 01:30 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Post "blip" the throttle while part of your right foot still on the brake?

I was reading Going Faster and that's what it said. Anyone here does that? Is it possible? especially the way the pedals were set up in our cars. I've been doing this but my right foot was completely off the brake. How big does your right foot has to be to be able to do this?
Old 01-18-2002, 01:43 PM
MarkC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This technique is called "heel and toe".

The idea is that the engine speed is matched to the wheel/gearbox speed so that downchanges are smoother and the driven wheels don't grab (lock) when the clutch is engaged after a downchange.

Not easy in any 911 due to the pedal position and action, but very satisfying if you can perfect it.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:43 PM
KC993
Racer

It is call 'Heel and Toe'. All the race car drivers know how to do it, unless you are driving high class opened wheels car that you can shift without clutch. I went to racing school years ago driving F2000 car and that was the first thing they ask you to do/learn.
It's not hard just need a lot of practice to master it, and it's lots of fun.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:47 PM
MarkC
Instructor

Missed at bit....

You brake with the ball of your foot and twisting your foot to blip the throttle with your heel.
Of course you have to synchronise this with bringing the clutch in and out to engage drive at the right time.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:16 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is very difficult to "heel and toe" with the standard 993 pedal setup. But with the "3rd pedal" installed it becomes effortless.

Old 01-18-2002, 02:33 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Here is a link to the Porsche Driving Experience video page. The first video available is the heel and toe video.

Good luck.

E. J.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:41 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Here is a link to the Porsche Driving Experience video page. The first video available is the heel and toe video.

Good luck.

E. J.</STRONG>
Cool video, but it's missing the clutch action. Synchronizing with the clutch is a key piece of heel/toe.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Rocket
Instructor

Robin......I would be interested to know where your shoe strikes the gas pedal whilst on the brakes, as I have been looking for a wider pedal to bring the brake/gas closer together, rather than a boot at the bottom. Presently I use wide shoes to heel and toe, but this is far from perfect as the ball of my foot is still right on the edge of the brake pedal and I have been known to miss the pedal all together

Rocket
Old 01-18-2002, 02:57 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Well,

I'm by no means an accomplished driver but my DE instructor told me to forget about the 'heel' in 'heel and toe' in a 911. The description that rung a bell for me was as follows:

Press the right edge of the brake pedal with the ball of your foot (on the big toe side). As you complete braking allow your foot to roll off the brake pedal to the right tapping the throttle in the process. Practice the technique by downshifting as you come to a stop when driving around town and soon it will become second nature.

Until that description I had no idea how to do it but now I'm able to get the rpm's just about perfect 90% of the time.

Having good shoes on is important as well. I sure can't do it in sandles.

Ben
Old 01-18-2002, 02:58 PM
KC993
Racer

Rocket,
I have a fix which I am now using. I bought a stainless shower drain stop, bend a side of it to shape it like a "C" and then just bolt the thing to the pedal. And you can position it to where you foot is comfortable touching the pedal. If only I had a digital camara to take a picture of it.....
Old 01-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
The pedal pictured on Robin's post is the Wings pedal (the normal version) it comes in two sizes. I have the extra wide version which brings the side (long)portion closer to the brake. While I have not tried it on the track yet it makes heel/toe much easier!
And the pedal is adjustable to move it on plane so you dont hit it every time you brake. I have tried several other heel/toe pedals and this one is tops. The company does not have a web site but they run a add in Pano and Excellence
Old 01-18-2002, 03:06 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Why not just go to Home Depot and buya $5 piece of flat .063" aluminum? Take it home and cut ut with cutters and screw it into the pedal? Much cheaper and at least then you can be sure you need it before spending $150+ for a gas pedal. I only have size 10.5 shoes and i don't need any help. I wish I had a foot cam, but for me its all rhythm. Coming into the braking zone I brake hard, roll the ankle out to the right which spins my foot to the right and tap the gas with my heel. It almost becomes a dance when i have to go from 5th to 2nd. Hell, I can do it sitting here at my desk. Put the ball of your foot against the back of your desk, spin your leg to the right and tap the gas with your heel.

Forgot to say that to make this work you need to lift your heel off the floor of the car. No lazy driving allowed.

YMMV

E. J.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rocket,

I'm not even going to attemp to describe this in words.... (my friends know why)

So here are some pictures

Here is a picture where I step on the brake only, no blip on the gas.

In these pictures I am stepping on the brake and bliping the gas at the same time, I took the picture from two different angles.

Old 01-18-2002, 03:10 PM
KC993
Racer

E.J.
It only cost me $1.95 for my version.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:12 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

That made me laugh Robin. No real reason though. With that big ole pedal, it doesnt look like you even need to roll your foot over, you could just push down on your heel to get the bottom part of the gas pedal.

I hope you don't wear those boots at the track. LOL!

Hey, did you do the tracquest event at RA last week?

E. J.

Quick Reply: "blip" the throttle while part of your right foot still on the brake?