Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with control module that controls ABS/ABD

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017 | 05:18 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Default Help with control module that controls ABS/ABD

The warning light for ABD lit on my turbo this spring. The car had been on a workshop doing some cosmetic work during the winter. I donīt want to blame the company for what happened. The car is after all 20 years old.

The local Porsche official workshop tells me that itīs most likely the control module that controls the ABD function that is broken. With that said there are no guarantee at this point.

A new part from Porsche is expensive to say at least. Just ordering it and it later shows up that it that itīs something else that is the underlying problem would be a waste.

Hoping that I could find a second hand part or guideline where I could get a helping hand. Maybe the part is repairable by someone. We tried a company in Sweden but without luck. They didn't want to give it a try.

The part is manufacture by Bosch

993 618 127 00

Look at the picture for full Bosch/Porsche numbers. A guy that helps me took it from the internet. Its the same part that I need.

Best regards

Robert
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2017 | 06:17 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would replace the relays associated with the system, disconnect all the wheel sensors, clean the connections with CRC Electric motor/electronic parts cleaner. Plug them back in. Clear the OBD Codes and see what happens. My experience is if more than one sensor is not working it triggers a bad module OBD Code.
Old 06-27-2017 | 06:40 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by pp000830
I would replace the relays associated with the system, disconnect all the wheel sensors, clean the connections with CRC Electric motor/electronic parts cleaner. Plug them back in. Clear the OBD Codes and see what happens. My experience is if more than one sensor is not working it triggers a bad module OBD Code.
Thank you. I will look into what they have done so far and forward your suggestions. They have most probably looked into some of them already I would guess. I asked about if it could be the connections or sensors somehow thats gone bad and triggered the fault. As it is now I can't get the car tough MOT. I need to get this problem fixed to be able to use the car on the road.

In the meantime I have to assume that they have done their work and that the part is broken. If possible source one second hand or sending the part to somewhere where it can be checked and fixed. If anyone has a lead to that please let me know. Last resort is buying the part new from Porsche.

Last edited by Robert993TT; 06-27-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2017 | 12:13 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Sorta a hard spot to be in. Mechanics/shops, I am sure, don't take kindly, to customers telling them they're wrong, and that someone on the Internet, knows what the shop should be doing with your car.
Old 06-29-2017 | 03:40 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Sorta a hard spot to be in. Mechanics/shops, I am sure, don't take kindly, to customers telling them they're wrong, and that someone on the Internet, knows what the shop should be doing with your car.
Agreed.
Old 06-29-2017 | 05:30 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Agree with your thoughts.

I have considered that. There where and are no reason to tell someone that they are wrong when you have nothing that support that. I mean they are the experts. I know how to search the internet for solutions and I know that there are many people here among other places with deep experience of these cars. It would be sad not to use the knowledge available.

I openly discussed with the workshop to create this thread and see what kind of respons I would have. Hoping that someone knew how to obtain the part in question or how to have it repaired (if broken).

I forwarded this thread to my contact at the workshop in question. There where no prestige from their side at all and that is how it should be. I believe that they will go deeper in their search to exclude the other possibilities if possible before ordering a new part or if we somehow can repair the old one or buying one secondhand.

There are summer holidays coming up. Iīm hoping that Iīll get the car fixed so that I may enjoy it during the summer and autumn. If anyone of you have any leads please let me know. Someone else might read this in the future and find it helpful.
Old 06-29-2017 | 10:44 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Speaking nothing of the medical profession!
Old 06-30-2017 | 08:23 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Robert,

PM sent ...I have this module, so if your analysis verifies it to be the source of the problem, contact me.

G
Old 07-01-2017 | 08:44 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by Garth S
Robert,

PM sent ...I have this module, so if your analysis verifies it to be the source of the problem, contact me.

G
Thanks Garth! I have sent you a PM back to you. Will get back once I know more. Hopefully very soon. Within a couple of days.
Old 12-02-2017 | 04:48 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Itīs been a while.

I got the module sent to me from our Canadian Rennlist member Garth soon after he contacted me. He truly is a class act kind of guy. While waiting for the shipment I took my 986 Boxster S on a trip to south part of Europe for three weeks in July and beginning of august. Due to some unfortunate happenings of personal nature when coming back it took a while to get the turbo back on the roads.

When shifting modules. The warning lamp was still lit. The diagnostic computer that Porsche use said that it was the throttle potentiometer. A new throttle potentiometer was ordered. When that was changed my old module still had a code saved that did not trigger the warning lamp for ABD this time (ghost codes they said). When using the Canadian sourced module it was clean. Anyway the car passed the MOT with the old module installed, but I had it changed for the Canadian module for piece of mind. The car would be fine with the old module for MOT as the fault was not real and never lit the warning lamp once the throttle potentiometer was changed.

Last days I had the turbo at an independent Porsche workshop to fix a few minor things before putting it away for the winter months. A sensor was changed so that the onboard computer display show the right boost pressure when pushing the car. I had sourced why the little lamp over the ignition keyhole was not working. It is connected with the light in the storage compartment in the front that also was out of function which I had forgotten. It was a faulty relay.

I also asked the mechanic to check both the modules as a second opinion. What left me pusseled was that in my logic the old module says that there is something wrong with the throttle potentiometer still now that it is changed. Should it not do that from the very start when there was something wrong with the throttle potentiometer? It seems that there is something wrong with my old module as there is a ghost code there that don't lit the warning lamp. But still it saves a code. I leave it there.

Iīve asked to have my old module sent to a company to have it fixed if possible now that I know what is wrong with it. If that works I might have a ABD/ABS module for sale at some point if someone needs it. That is the least I can do for the Porsche community. I would not want to sell my old module to someone else. If itīs not fixable now I will be keeping it. If itīs fixable it will be back in my car.

I been occupied driving the turbo during late autumn. What a fantastic car it is. I have missed driving it. Hopefully next season it will be used much more.

Old 12-02-2017 | 06:00 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

If a fault causes the warning lamp to light, a fault code will be riggered, and the code will be stored until erased by using a OBD tool. However, if the triggering fault is fixed, the warning lamp will extinguish. As you see on the PIWIS printout, the code is Passive, meaning that the fault is not there, at least at the time of the OBD session.
You might have a look on your rear fan low speed resistor as well, this will cause problems using the HVAC system. DIY test here.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 12-02-2017 | 06:44 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by ToreB
If a fault causes the warning lamp to light, a fault code will be riggered, and the code will be stored until erased by using a OBD tool. However, if the triggering fault is fixed, the warning lamp will extinguish. As you see on the PIWIS printout, the code is Passive, meaning that the fault is not there, at least at the time of the OBD session.
You might have a look on your rear fan low speed resistor as well, this will cause problems using the HVAC system. DIY test here.
Cheers,
Tore
Thanks. Iīve seen post about the HVAC system earlier and been thinking if they apply to me too now or in the future. I even saw your company and thinking about getting in touch if problems arose. On a side note do you also do repair on modules like the ones this thread is about from Bosch or other electrical parts on the 993. I had my speedometer repaired two years ago by a company in the northern part of Sweden. They do all kind of instrumentation for classic cars. Itīs always nice to have people to recommend to people asking for advice. I had the Porsche dealer calling me to ask for the name of the company that repaired my speedometer a few months after I did it. They had a customer that needed help with that and wanted to save him some money.

Anyway. The Porsche dealer and later the independent workshop have erased the codes both times by using a OBD tool but the fault is still there with the module that was in the car from new, but now with the module I had sent from Canada after the fault was fixed. The dealer that did the first exchange that printed the paper with the triggered codes said that they all where passive. Ghost codes they described them as. Iīll have them checked later again. The priority now was to get to the bottom and get the car roadworthy. I might have a closer look in the future to make sure that they are just passive.

Quick Reply: Help with control module that controls ABS/ABD