Sponsored by:

OT: Comments on driving gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 11:23 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OT: Comments on driving gloves?

Can any body recommend good driving gloves for DE events, in the $100 range?

Thanks..

Jeff
Old 01-16-2002, 11:30 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Momo gloves. My experience is that you really need to try them and that the material of your wheel pretty much dictates what you need to use. For example, the same size in Sparco and Momo are very different in width of hands. With regards to material, my race car has a suede finish so I use gloves with suede. If you use a street car, you may want gloves with std leather. Check the OG racing website for options www.ogracing.com again, I recommend that you try before you buy
Old 01-16-2002, 11:31 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Sparco from OG Racing

Ask for Bill or Jamie.

E. J.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:34 AM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

A tip that was given to me by ioportracing
when I bought my first pair was to get a
brightly colored pair to accent hand signals.

Simple advice but very useful for "pass
on signal" DE's.

I have Sparco. Good stuff. Very comfortable. Go for the fit & feel.
Can't really miss with Sparco/OMP/Stand21.

Bellmotorsports has several not as well
known brands that are very good
quality but not as expensive. I have a set of these for backup.

tim
Old 01-17-2002, 02:49 AM
neunelf
Racer

They aren't fireproof and maybe not be the direction you were thinking but Jeff how about a set of golf gloves?

They have a nice snug feel and can be had for around $20-$25 a set.

I like the like the sensitivity you get with the wheel and shifter.

Again, not as safe as racing gloves but just another thought.

No flames on this one please because it's not fireproof.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:28 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
I got a set of Sparco gloves. Very comfy have done with them 4 DE's and they keep on going strong. When they need replacing I'll buy another set.
I can tell you though that the best money you can spend is on driving boots.
I got a pair of Simpsons around $80.00 and I love them! Incredible difference in driving! I'm fixing to get the Piloti shoes as daily drivers because the racing style shoes make such a difference in precision, especially those who heel and toe...
Old 01-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
If you want the ultimate gloves look at Stand 21. The seams are sewn on the outside so they don't cause any blisters,etc. They are pricey but may be worth it. I use some Simpson gloves and they didn't work great with a leather wheel but with the suede wheel they are fine.
I will get a set of the Stand 21's this spring.

www.stand21.fr/frame.asp?lang=2
Also check www.northstarmotorsports.com for prices.

Greg
Old 01-17-2002, 11:09 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
I also use Sparcos, but agree that you need to try them on. OG Racing isn't far from me, and they have a good selection to try from.

I also bought gold-colored gloves so that my signals were clear. While at OGR, I was talking to a good ol' boy who was buying a helmet, I think for drag racing - wanted an open face so he could smoke between runs without taking it off :-) He asked what kind of racing I needed those bright gloves for, and when I explained he laughed and said "The only signal I'm givin' is *this*" while flipping a bird. LOL!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:41 AM
neunelf
Racer

Originally posted by ed devinney:
<STRONG>While at OGR, I was talking to a good ol' boy who was buying a helmet, I think for drag racing - wanted an open face so he could smoke between runs without taking it off :-) He asked what kind of racing I needed those bright gloves for, and when I explained he laughed and said "The only signal I'm givin' is *this*" while flipping a bird. LOL!</STRONG>
LOL!!! Thats the funniest thing I have heard in a while!!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:55 AM
neunelf
Racer

Originally posted by DJF1:
<STRONG>I'm fixing to get the Piloti shoes as daily drivers because the racing style shoes make such a difference in precision, especially those who heel and toe...</STRONG>
DJF1, I have a set of the Piloti shoes but really don't care for them. The quality of materials and construction of the shoe is Excellent but I have a problem with their heavy/clunky feeling.

For me the Piloti's are too bulky and the sole is too thick. I just don't get a good feel of the pedals.

Can anyone suggest another driving shoe they like for daily wear? Something like a true racing shoe would be great but that could be worn with my 'casual Friday' daily wardrobe.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:16 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by neunelf:
<STRONG>

Can anyone suggest another driving shoe they like for daily wear? Something like a true racing shoe would be great but that could be worn with my 'casual Friday' daily wardrobe.</STRONG>

Socks.

Really, I don't think there's any such thing as driving shoes that work great in the car, and are comfortable enough to walk around in all day. I use Simpson driving shoes (no one else would make a size 14), but because the sole is thin and narrow and unpadded, they are painful to walk around in. On the street, the best driving shoes are your socks. You get tons of feel, and when you get out of the car, you slip on whatever shoes you want to walk around in.

I've never worn the Piloti's (too small) but just looking at them, I know I wouldn't like them: too thick, too wide, and too much padding. They're probably good for walking around, but not very good in the car.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:53 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts
I have two sets of Pilotti's and I love them.
I'm no race car driver and have never worn sparco's or anything of that nature but I can tell you this.
I wore the shoes in the Formula Dodge Skip barber cars which have very narrow pedals etc.
They were great for me.
The only thing I don't love about them as, there not great for an everyday shoe. There extremely comfortable and cool looking but they don't vent well. So, your feet get hot wearing them all day.

I would highly recommend a pair if your looking for a hybrid driving/walking shoe..
Old 01-17-2002, 01:45 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Interesting; thought driving gloves went out with Nardi wood steering wheels, SU carburetors, and when regular maintance included "decoking the cylinder heads".

Rarely used gloves at DE before, even when had heavy steering 911 Turbo-Look. Prob. not a bad idea, tho. I have a pair of comfortable mechanic's gloves I bought at Summit Racing (for redneck-format racing, but they're close by); use them to keep my fingers warm on cold April and October DE's.

RE shoes: somebody mentioned buying wrestling sneakers; the type worn by HS wrestlers. I remember them being thin-soled and ankle high so they would probably give you good pedal feel, not be bulky, and are probably less expensive than auto race shoes. Don't know how they'd be for daily wear, tho.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:14 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

I use Simpson driving shoes (no one else would make a size 14), but because the sole is thin and narrow and unpadded, they are painful to walk around in.
That is strange DJ!! I found these boots very comfy all around.Maybe there are different models? On the DE days I wore them all day long and my feet felt great! The only problem I have found is that after 4 events the soles cracked because of the amount of walking I do on them (got to check out the other P-cars! )
Otherwise a great shoe. Next I will try the Sparco's or the Porsche motorsports (got a lead in Germany ).
After driving in them, normal shoes make me feel too disconnected from the pedals.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:43 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Good point about gloves, Ray - they certainly don't improve my driving over bare hands. I'm just paranoid about fire - it's a real low risk in a DE, but as a software guy I make my living with my hands. I hated not being able to use them when I had tendonitis, and I'd doubly hate having them burned. A fire suit comes eventually, but I decided to start with the hands.

"My brain? That's my second-favorite organ!" - Woody Allen

Quick Reply: OT: Comments on driving gloves?