993 Forum 1995-1998

need help with name & part number

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:04 AM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with name & part number

Can anyone identify these parts(red arrow) and part numbers?

These weather strip type pieces are on front wheel liner. My passenger top one is ripped & missing lower one.

Recommendations to where I can purchase(used or new)??
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2017, 01:42 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

999 911 398 40 Edge protection, AKA Protect Strip. You cut it to length and bend it to shape. See PET / Katalog for the exact lengths needed in different applications (example below)

I bought mine from Sonnen (fedex priority to canada is free brokerage). Pretty sure Pelican will sell it too. You might even try Weissach, might not be as cheap but could be big savings on shipping.

BTW you don't want to buy this stuff used. The metal core wire rusts and the rubber starts splaying out when it gets old and weathered.

How much do you need? I ordered too much when I did my bodywork, I have two pieces left, 33" and 60". $20 plus actual shipping cost and they're yours. I will be passing through Vancouver on Sunday around 6pm enroute to Tswassen/Victoria and could meet you, if not too far off hwy 17. PM me if interested.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bcameron59; 06-23-2017 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add pic
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 AM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Hey Brian, thanks for response & info... yes I will buy them, I need enough for front passenger side.
I will PM you.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:02 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

999 911 398 40 will come in a 1 metre length
Old 06-23-2017, 09:23 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
999 911 398 40 Edge protection, AKA Protect Strip. You cut it to length and bend it to shape. See PET / Katalog for the exact lengths needed in different applications (example below)

I bought mine from Sonnen (fedex priority to canada is free brokerage). Pretty sure Pelican will sell it too. You might even try Weissach, might not be as cheap but could be big savings on shipping.

BTW you don't want to buy this stuff used. The metal core wire rusts and the rubber starts splaying out when it gets old and weathered.

How much do you need? I ordered too much when I did my bodywork, I have two pieces left, 33" and 60". $20 plus actual shipping cost and they're yours. I will be passing through Vancouver on Sunday around 6pm enroute to Tswassen/Victoria and could meet you, if not too far off hwy 17. PM me if interested.
If you still have left overs, and would ship to US kindly let me know. Thanks B!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Hey Pdaddy, quite honestly you would probably be better off to order this from Sonnen or Sunset, shipping is super cheap south of the 49th parallel, but sending it across the border not so much. Product will cost you same as my asking price but shipping will cost you less, and no bokerage fees or import duties.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Hey Pdaddy, quite honestly you would probably be better off to order this from Sonnen or Sunset, shipping is super cheap south of the 49th parallel, but sending it across the border not so much. Product will cost you same as my asking price but shipping will cost you less, and no bokerage fees or import duties.
Good point. I forgot about the border-crossing fees
I priced it at Sonnen- $16.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Default Where does this seal go???

Just found this thread, I've been cleaning up the 993 C4S for a few weeks now, realized I've never had this seal on my front or rear
wheel well liners. I figured they must have some purpose so got
some new pieces from the local stealership and want to get them
on the car. The PET is lousy at describing exactly where they go. I assume they are on the rears of both front and rear wheel well liners.
I took a photo of my rear out of the car, stuck one piece in place where I think it goes then placed arrow where the other pieces go??
Am I correct or do these things go other places.
Any help?
Name:  IOlzNyw.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  168.1 KB
Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CentralCoastC4S
Just found this thread, I've been cleaning up the 993 C4S for a few weeks now, realized I've never had this seal on my front or rear
wheel well liners. I figured they must have some purpose so got
some new pieces from the local stealership and want to get them
on the car. The PET is lousy at describing exactly where they go. I assume they are on the rears of both front and rear wheel well liners.
I took a photo of my rear out of the car, stuck one piece in place where I think it goes then placed arrow where the other pieces go??
Am I correct or do these things go other places.
Any help?
Nope, the edge protection doesn't go on the rear wheel liners at all, just on the fronts, and the PET/katalog shows where - see the diagram in post #2 above. Positions 2, 3 and 4.

Edge protection also is used around the oil cooler (PET diagram 813-45, positions 18-21).
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

OK, thanks, makes sense now. The protection must be for the oil cooler and the A/C up front, plus the additional material around the cooler as mentioned. Appreciate the help. Will probably post a photo when I get the fronts cleaned up and the sealing strips fitted to be sure. That's why I can't
seem to find a PET schematic of the rear liners. They only seem to show the fronts.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 PM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Old 09-23-2017, 02:03 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CentralCoastC4S
OK, thanks, makes sense now. The protection must be for the oil cooler and the A/C up front, plus the additional material around the cooler as mentioned. Appreciate the help. Will probably post a photo when I get the fronts cleaned up and the sealing strips fitted to be sure. That's why I can't
seem to find a PET schematic of the rear liners. They only seem to show the fronts.
If the PET diagram is different from the diagram in post #2, go here and download the PDF Katalog:

https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/ac...artscatalogue/

I find it easier to search than PET anyway.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

I do like the Canadian version, seems easier but the photos are the same in both. I guess it's me but I find them a bit confusing compared to the parts I'm looking at.
Here's the right front forward liner with new rubber seals. Two pieces
were on there, two came off and were replaced..

Name:  QB0b4DS.jpg
Size:  57.1 KB

And the left side..

Name:  VXbHUDC.jpg
Size:  62.7 KB

Obviously holes drilled for brake cooling ducts. look better with the
covers in place. The suspension "guru" attached the top strut
mounts (mono ball, not sure of the make) through the fender and covering the liner, so it had some connection to the fender steel but sat on the plastic liner. Obviously had to fix that. So it seems the suspension was installed without removing the liner. Not great technique. And a well known SF Bay area suspension shop.
Oh well... fixed now and may not have been that big an issue.

So are the rubber seals installed in the right places? I can't really see any other areas for other pieces to go?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:46 AM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Yes, they are installed in right places... only comment is they are a little short in length due to small gap between the seals on each of the liners.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:18 AM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

OK thanks, I think I'll put the liners back in and see about those gaps. I can easily cut a new piece, got enough for mistakes. My rule when ordering
stuff like that....

Quick Reply: need help with name & part number