Sponsored by:

Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 04:44 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars

I'm doing some suspension mods to my RS look 97' Coupe over the winter now the bodywork/paint is nearly finished.

I managed to get a nearly new set of H&R Street/Track Coilovers on ebay for $639 inc. shipping. Now I'm at the point of choosing sway bars, I'm considering the factory RS adjustable option from Gert. I also noticed in the Performance Products catalogue that Weltmeister make an adjustable sway bar kit( 25.4mm front 21mm rear) at about half the price during their 20% off sale. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used these sway bars with reference to quality etc.

Also the front bar is hollow and 30% lighter than the factory front bar and has the same spring rate as the factory 24mm RSR bar. Any thoughts on the compatability of these bars and the H&R Coilovers would be appreciated.

I attend approximately 12 DE events per year, I ran track wheels and tires last season on stock US suspension. I still intend to drive my car on the street on a regular basis. I realize that these mods are going to give me a much firmer ride, however I'm sure the improved handling will be worth the trade-off.

Thanks,

Joseph

97' 993 Coupe, RS Look.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:13 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Joseph,

Have you gotten any private feedback on this? I am interested also because I was considering these bars too.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:01 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Brian:

I have not received any private feed back on this subject, maybe someone who knows something will post a response over the weekend.

As previously stated I'm also concerned about the compatability of these bars (that have the same spring rating as the factory RSR bars) with my H&R Stage 4 Coilovers. From my readings here, I've learnt its important to modify suspension as package.

Joseph
Old 01-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Thumbs down

NO, No, No ...these bars are junk. I have been waiting for months for an opportunity to vent on the Weltmeister Performance Products bars. They don't even have collars to prevent them from sliding back and forth in their mounting brackets under cornering load. I sold these bars, caveat emptor, to a fellow Rennlister, and took a beating on them. I warned him about the collars: He was going to have them welded on.

I would have taken them back to the shop that sold them to me, but it looked like it was going to be a big hassle..they want to replace them with the same bars, what would that do for me?. It was the typical (In my Porsche modification experience) do two or three iterations of a Porsche mod (Pay 2X to 3X as well) before you get it right.

I shouldn't be so hard on Performance Products, they simply re-sell the Weltmeister brand bars manufactured at a shop in SoCal that makes them for Weltmeister and ultimately to be sold by Performance Products. I can tell you this, based on my recent experience with these shoddy bars, when faced with a choice of Weltmeister of Porsche Factory (example the 993 short shift), regardless of the cost differential, I will buy Factory every time.

I replaced the Performance Products bars with Factory bars from a 993 TT, that would be 23mm front and 21 mm rear. I believe that there had to be a wee modification of the rear shocks to make them fit into the Turbo suspension, can't recall exactly..they need to be shortened a bit I believe.

ANDIAL will sell you the 21 mm rear bar with an extra holed drilled in the event you want something stiffer. They can also do the same on the 23 mm front bar. Having experienced both the Performance Products and the ANDIAL, I can tell you that the 21mm raer and 23 mm front is a great set up. In the process you also dial out understeer (push) in the car...it worked for me!

This Factory sway bar set up may not work with the trick suspension you have installed. To make it work I suspect you would need the Factory GT drop links...I don't know this for certain, it is just my hunch.

If you want to talk about this privately, drop me an e-mail and we'll set up a mutually convenient time.
ANDIAL Road & Racing
Old 01-18-2002, 02:21 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face

I guess that answers my questions
Old 01-18-2002, 02:42 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Schacht993:

Thanks for your detailed reply and warning. I'm going to Europe in March, so I'll plan visiting Gert and pick up a set of Factory RS Adjustable Sway Bars (23mm front & 20mm rear). As I understand it no modification is required to install these bars with the H&R Stage 4 Coilovers.

Thanks Again.

Joseph
Old 03-03-2003, 01:21 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 66 Posts
Martin, besides needing collars welded on, what are the other short-falls of the Weltmeister bars?? thanks, max
Old 03-03-2003, 02:15 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a pair of these bars listed in the classified ads. Martin has already made full disclosure for me, but I'll add this:

The rear bar does not really need collars, as it does not slide back and forth. It’s when the front wheels turn left and right that makes the front bar slide back and forth. The front bar has a screw on collar that is supposed to stop this sliding. I think it probably works OK for street driving, but it’s probably not tight enough for track or aggressive driving. The nice thing about the screw on collar is that you can remove it when you install the bars. This makes sliding the bar into place much easier. I suppose the screw on collar could be spot welded to the bar. I think one reason the screw on collar slides is that goes over the protective paint on the bar. Perhaps all that’s needed is to file some of this off.

I’m selling mine only partly because of the collar issue. The polyurethane bushings also had a habit of squeaking. This can be remedied with some appropriate grease, but I got tired of the maintenance.

I’m selling the bars only, not the drop links.

Go to ad 40725 if this link doesn’t work:

<a href="http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/listings/ads.pl?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=40725&query=retrieval" target="_blank">http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/listings/ads.pl?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=40725&query=retrieval</a>

Tom
’95 993
Old 03-03-2003, 02:41 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 66 Posts
thanks for the extra info Tom. Yes, it was your ad and email to me that sent me on a quest for more information. max

Quick Reply: Weltmeister Adjustable Sway Bars