Sponsored by:

Poseurs =(

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:24 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poseurs =(

So I'm cruising up Balboa Blvd. in my Mini Cooper S and I see a polar silver 993 probably 3 or 4 cars up on the left just loping through traffic. The lane starts to clear in front of me as a few cars make right hand turns so I accelerate and get a car length behind him and see the "turbo" badge on the rear spoiler and a big grin crosses my face. As we come up to the next light it turns red and now we're side by side so I turn over, roll my window down and smile right at him for a few seconds until I realize he sees me but won't acknowledge. No big deal, maybe he's having a bad day. The light turns green and I ease off the clutch and make it across the intersection with him right beside me and I hear him hammer it so I do the same in first gear, get some wheelspin until the traction control kicks in and for about 30 feet I was somewhat hanging until he pulled a few lengths but for some reason he didn't keep pulling the way he was and it sure as hell didn't sound like any other 993 turbo I've heard. So we come up to the next light and I notice his window is down and he's looking right at me so I say "nice Carrera 4S" just to see his response and he says with the most dumbfounded look on his face "how did you know?" I was so damn surprised he admitted it, it took me a second to comprehend what he had just said and then I casually responded with "because if it were a turbo then you would've pulled away a lot harder. Still, nice Carrera 4S, it's a shame you put that turbo badge on it though." he just rolled his window up without any expression and we went our seperate ways. So is this proper etiquette? I mean, he went the whole 9 yards with the legitimate looking spoiler and had the badge in the right place so it wasn't like some ricer putting a "type R" badge on his bone stock Honda Accord but I couldn't help but think that he had done that to one helluva nice car. Anybody else feel like fessin up about why you put a turbo badge on your Carrera 2 or 4S?

later,

amir
Old 11-18-2003, 12:29 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Humorous story. However, I'm sure the problem was the driver. No way you'd keep up with a C4S in a Mini S.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:33 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

I definately wasn't keeping up, like I said we made it through the intersection side by side and then he got on it and I did the same, he probably was still at low revs and not in the powerband.......for that short distance (approx. 30 feet, maybe a little less) he was within a couple cars but still there was no competition he woulda wasted me either way.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:37 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, I don't like the Turbo tail on any car except a TT, IMHO. And to put a TT badge on a C4S is definitely poseur material!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:52 AM
protokultur
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Poseurs =(

Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
So we come up to the next light and I notice his window is down and he's looking right at me so I say "nice Carrera 4S" just to see his response and he says with the most dumbfounded look on his face "how did you know?"
But he was probably thinking "who is this dork trying so hard to get my attention?"
Old 11-18-2003, 01:06 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Maybe. I think when he saw me look over the first time he figured I'm some boy racer (which I'm not, but when I see another non-996 911 around here I usually acknowledge) and decided to race me and then after he was done handing me my *** he probably figured he'd see if I'd say anything.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:44 AM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good story.

That's why I firmly believe that one should not have the "show" unless he has the "go" to back it up.....as in "all show and no go".

This also reminded me of the late 80's when a whole bunch of 325i and 318i bimmers were zipping around town with that tri-color M badge/emblem on their trunk lid posing as M3 wantabe's. Simply pathetic.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:46 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

i don't think that stopped in the 80s Pat
Old 11-18-2003, 01:49 AM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Max,
do you think that GT-2 badge would look good on my C2??? Oh, i want one sooooo badly.....
Old 11-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

I've seen people put GT2 body kits and badges on Turbos and I hate that. How desperate and insecure are people that they buy a $100K+ car and try to fool people into thinking it's $150K+ car.

Personally, I like the look of the GT2 and I am considering the body kit simply because it looks good. I would however, never put the GT2 badge on.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:51 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 1986 I had a summer job valet parking cars at a local country club (I replaced a guy who had totaled a 928 he decided to take for a ride). I can't even tell you how many M-B 420 SELs had 560 badges. There were also a few 380 SLs with 500 SL badges, even though no 500 SLs were officially sold in the US. Since then I've seen 300Es that say 500E, S420s and S500s with S600 badges (and V12 emblems), 735s and 740s with 750i badges, Carrera 3.2 Turbo-Look cars with Turbo badges, etc. It really makes one wonder.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:34 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its always so disappointing to come across a "rare" Porsche only to realize you've been douped by a badge! To compensate for all those poseurs, my car is now badgeless.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:55 AM
protokultur
Advanced

You should re-badge your car, Mike, as a VW beetle or a Citroen. That will throw them all for a loop (I got my *** smoked by a 2CV!!!).

Some of you will get the reference:

Old 11-18-2003, 08:31 AM
johnt53
Advanced

Randy Newman said it best: "Big hat, no cattle."
Old 11-18-2003, 10:02 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, Thread heist....

Zamirz, what do you think of the mini S? Have you driven the S with the JCW package? I ask because I am considering one. However the only car I have been able to test drive was an S with the JCW. It was hella fun but I don't want to choke up the extra$5500 for the JCW. How big a difference in day to day driving is there between the two (if you have driven the JCW). Feel free to email or PM with the answer to not bore the rest.

Quick Reply: Poseurs =(