Got the shifter/ picture attached

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Got the shifter/ picture attached

I know that I started a thread in search of a replacement for my worn out stock. (https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=94879)

I'm posting this seperately just to thank everyone who contributed/help/oppinions in my search and show what I did and maybe help save some $$$.

I guess the saying "patience is a virtue" worked for me. After searching the web and the local dealers for the MY02 shifter that I really like for months, I finally got one. My local supplier here(VA Beach) Eurosport(NA) knew that I've been searching for one. So last week, they called me to let me know that they are stripping a 996 for the track. They offered me the shifter...wooohooo!! I was so glad. The original leather boot has a different base, so what I did was cut my old one to adapt it. If time proves that the Cashmere Beige boot don't go with the black shifter, I could have an upholsterer sew a new black hide on on the 993 shift boot rectangular frame. Thanks for all your oppinions and info. Here is the end result of the project.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome!! I want one too!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:56 PM
deleonl1
Racer

Get the black boot to match the black inset panel underneath the emergency brake.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Stu
Instructor

Mike - thanks for the "heads-up" on the PCA discount through Tweeks. I ordered mine today.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Stu, You're welcome. Glad I could help. I thing though, I want to make sure that you're aware that the one I got and pictured above is different from the Tweeks'. The one you ordered from tweeks is pictured in my first post https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=94879 that is also very nice. My supplier here actually ordered it for me to look at. But my taste was for the MY02.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:15 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Mike,

I like the shifter. That's what I have too. Probably the black boot would look better - kind of keeps the whole center console uniform black.

Now you have to replace the handbrake lever with the black leather and aluminum one. Also, we need to talk about the Buick Century steering wheel.....

See what you've started?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike Cap and Deleon1, Thanks for the tip. I'm planning to change the boot black. Just got to hunt down quality hide. Need to look for handbrake end cover too. Mine is showing wear. I'm also waiting for a decision of the owner of that 996 they striped(for track use) on his 3 spoke steering wheel. See what you guys started..purist will be frowning at me I didn't get the Buick Century steering wheel..?
Old 11-13-2003, 02:05 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Mike,

No disrespect meant at all. In fact, the Cashmere interior on your car is my favorite - I'd like to have that with my Arena Red versus the Classic Gray.

The "Buick Century" joke comes from the fact that we provide our sales guys with Buick Century's for sales cars. Our 993's have steering wheels that look just like the one's in the Century's. Four spoke, big and clunky, with an airbag horn impossible to blow in an emergency. They look ok in a sales car, but I can't understand why Porsche's design guys choose that sw for the 993.

The 996 sw is much better looking. You'll be happy with it if you can get it. I installed this airbag sw last year and love it.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/pb/view...&model_id=0052
Old 11-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike Cap,

No offense taken at all I have been wanting to update the looks of the steering wheel(specially since I scratched the leather on the 3 oclock position), but didn't want to mess with the air bag. I do hope I get this one from the 996. I haven't seen a buick steering wheel, and didn't know that they look like the 993s They must have copied it. A lot of the technology put into the 993 are just coming out on todays cars. I think that manufacuturers buys a Porsche first, study it then design their new cars from it.

Cheers
~Mike
Old 11-30-2003, 04:54 PM
Jober
Instructor

Nice results !!!
Old 11-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Shifter, you know what is next....

the ER brake handle. Check it out at http://www.carnewal.com I bought the shifter, installed it and love it. I do want to get that ER handle.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:33 AM
salty1
Intermediate

Here is a picture of the MY02 handle and shifter combo purchased from Gert at Carnewal. The shifter has the colored Porsche emblem and the handle has Porsche inscribed in black on it. Hope this helps visualize the all black idea.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

salty1,
Where are you in Atlanta? I am in Gainesville, about 60 miles north of Atl. I saw a Midnight Blue 993 convertible cruising through Gainesville about a month ago with the top down, was that you? I thought I was the only Midnight Blue 993 here, but I saw a conv. and a coupe not too long ago. The only other 993's I have seen in my area on top of that are a white C4 that I know and a red convertible I haven't seen in a while. BTW, your pic doesn't work.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
salty1
Intermediate

Can't seem to upload my picture. Info box says my file is too big. Looking for another way to upload.

Red, I am inside the loop near Chastain Park. Most likely that was me awhile back. Had some business up that way and the sky was blue and the sun was shining. Was a top down kind of day!!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:13 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salty - you need to edit your photo and reduce the size of the photo file before uploading it.

Quick Reply: Got the shifter/ picture attached