993 Forum 1995-1998

TRG vs. RS sway bars for Pss9's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 02:08 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default TRG vs. RS sway bars for Pss9's

I can't believe that I am actually doing this but I am seriously considering buying a Pss9 kit now so that I dont get hit with the 300 dollar price increase later. Keep in mind that I have not even picked up the car yet. My question is, which is the better bar? I was told that the RS bars will fit perfectly and be silent like they should be, but they are very expensive. Are there any disadvantages to the TRG bars, do they make knocking sounds? Not fit correctly? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the rear TRG 22 mm bar. The only issue that I saw ( and it was a minor one ) was that there are no built in collars to center the bar. But TRG provides collars to center the bar. It's funtionally the same, just doesn't look as pretty.

Also, I believe that the TRG bars come with hard plastic bushings over the rubber ones from the RS bars.

For the price, I'd do the TRG bars. They are less than 1/2 the cost of the RS bars.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:38 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

Just did this exact combo - PSS-9's with TRG 25mm adjustable bar up-front and 23mm adjustable rear.

Verdict - Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Around town is just like factory ROW M030 and no noise or "clunks" whatsoever.

I too was shocked by the RS bar prices - TRG's are so much more affordable, fit beautifully, and and like a charm.

Highly recommend them!
Old 11-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

With all due respect, I'll offer some different advice,....

I've installed quite a few of both and the Factory ones are FAR more trouble free. IMHO, you do get what you pay for.

The collars supplied with TRG bars simply will not stay in position, no matter how tight they are. When this happens the bar will be deflected sideways and you will hear & feel some clunking as the bars hit the underside of the car.

Its not harmful, just annoying as hell and you must dive under the car to loosen-reposition-tighten them again.

The Factory RS bars have welded-on collars (before being powder-coated) and they are a set & forget situation. There is no real benefit of plastic bushings in these cars; even the GT-2 race car had hard rubber ones.

I know that they are more $$$, but I'd really suggest the Factory ones,............you will be much happier in the long run.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

FWIW, zero noise with my RS bars.

Or you can get the TRG bars and also install the Supercup exhaust. The 'Cups are so loud that, in a couple of years, the engine could drop out and you wouldn't hear it fall.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:59 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruf rear sway bar

FWIW, the rear Ruf sway bar (as supplied also in with the RUF PSS-9 kit) is also available separately from Weissach in Canada for $588 (including the bushing and drop links). This actually is still more palatable than the RS rear bar.

HTH,
Old 11-10-2003, 09:09 PM
David T.
Advanced

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The collars supplied with TRG bars simply will not stay in position, no matter how tight they are. When this happens the bar will be deflected sideways and you will hear & feel some clunking as the bars hit the underside of the car.

Its not harmful, just annoying as hell and you must dive under the car to loosen-reposition-tighten them again.
As usual Steve is spot on! Of course your mileage may vary, but after one year I was annoyed enough to swap TRG sway bars for RS ones.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:25 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have RS bars and zero problems
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Angry RS bars VS TRG

I was in somewhat of a rush to have a set of used PSS9s installed in my car and was in need of some sway bars. As Steve and others have mentioned, the TRG bars do not have welded collars. They have clamps. The clamps appear rugged enough, but perhaps welded collars would be better?

In addition, the rear bars require TRG drop links @ $300 a set. Now I must admit, the drop links are beautiful, but $300, ouch

As Britney Spears once said, "Whoops I've done it again." I have the TRG bars installed, but will probably be replacing them with 993RS bars as soon as a bonus check comes in.

Sometimes I wonder why I have to do things 2 to 3 times on this 993 car to get it right. If I go to the Cargraphics solution, this will be my 3rd oil cooler, hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Why can you just tack weld the collars on so they don't slide?

Martin,
Why did you need the special drop links? I just used the RS ones with my TRG rear bar and it worked fine.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:54 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I use the TRG bars on the track all the time and I've had zero issues. Is a simple collar welded onto the factory bar worth double the price?? If so, I will be glad to strip a TRG sway bar, weld on a collar, and re-powdercoat it for $300 and it would still be cheaper than the RS.

And then there is the size, and yes size matters. If it didn't, then why get new bars in the first place. The RS bars are 23mm front and 20mm rear. The TRG is 25mm front and 22mm rear. IMHO these make a great mate to the PSS9s.....
Old 11-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bob,
Don't forget if you wanted factory you could get the stiffer 993GT2 bars.

What were those drop links you used for your car and Jeff's TT?

Might be a good thing for me to get, at least for a back up if the RS ones break. I am going on three seasons with them.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2003, 09:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Greg,

You are correct. You do not need the TRG links for the TRG sway bars. They look really cool, but do not function any better than the factory ones.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:01 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Viperbob,

How long have you had the sway bars on your car?

How much trouble would it be to actually weld the collar to these bars, seems like a good solution to this problem?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

Re. why use the TRG drop links, the factory M030 RoW drop links would not work adequately.

Weld collars on, maybe that is the answer. If bigger is better, these bars are certainly bigger. Maybe I'll just dummy up and be content with what I have for a while, now that is a novel concept for me!!!!

Quick Reply: TRG vs. RS sway bars for Pss9's