Cigar lighter connection came off, behine dash help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cigar lighter connection came off, behine dash help

Picked up my first Porsche (97 C4S) this week. Does any one know how I can reconnect the cigar lighter wiring connector?

There is no juice, so I yanked the socket out. Bingo ! The connector was disconnected. Probably due to the sloppy valentine1 install using a wire tap from the previous owner. So my question is, what is the easiest way to get behind dash ? Thru the hole I see that the dislodged connector has a lamp, and it is impossible to pull the "square peg thru the round hole" !

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerry
Old 11-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't reach around behind the glovebox, try taking the glovebox out. I think you can get to it from there.

-Chris
Old 11-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default thanks.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default follow up

FYI.

I removed the entire glove box. Although I was able to squeeze my fingers all the way up near the area, no luck after 45 min of attempts.
So I crimped my own extension wiring with 12 guage wires. I am all set now. I made the extension longer so, in the future, I can tap for constant 12V easily in the future.

btw. not fun at all when I am squeezing my hand next to the explosive air bag canister.

Next project: remove the center tail light to troubleshoot how water gets in there.

Gerry
Old 11-10-2003, 10:43 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had a problem with mine since I bought it. For my first DIY I tried going through the glove box and it was as real PITA and I was not able to find anything visually wrong. I bought the radio removal tools and am going to try that way next. I am curious if the lighter pops out like the door switches. I think mine has power but will not work cell phones etc.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Correct. the socket itself can be pulled right out. look inside to check for the two prones that expand to hold the socket in place.

Voltage test is easy to do. btw check the 25A fuse at #7 (I recall)

Let me know if you have more questions.

Where did you get teh radio removal tools ? You will have to remove the metal cage after removal.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:57 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Where did you get teh radio removal tools ? You will have to remove the metal cage after removal.

I ordered them from a becker distributer in NJ. Shipping was more than the cost of the tools. I tried them to make sure they worked but I was going to wait until I found a replacement radio I liked before I disconnected the Becker radio and and tried to fix the lighter. After reading your post I will try to troubleshoot by pulling the lighter without messing with the radio. Do you need to borrow the tools because I could mail them to you in a an envelope if you want.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks for the offer. I don't need it now. Just that I was looking for the tool before I decided to do it the hard way !

Can you PM me the store in NJ, if it is near NYC ? I may want to pick one up in person myself.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you can buy the radio removal tools at Wally Mart, Pep Boys, or any auto stereo shop; they are inexpensive. The cage can then be removed with your fingers.

I followed Robin's instructions and connected my Valentine to a switched power source, after I flattened a brand new Optima by leaving it on.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good that it was an optima. btw. I have the yellow top optimal (deep cycle) for my 9000 lb winch (see signature) ! do rennlisters prefer Red top or yellow ?

Quick Reply: Cigar lighter connection came off, behine dash help