Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
Yes, you did.
What to share?
Old 02-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Speedracer997s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the ones who claimed that the value of Cab>Targa. That pricing must be regional. Here is California, a Targa's value is always higher than Cabs due to it's low volume production.

Please see below price guide from KBB.

Also, I posted a Mecum auction result. A 98 Targa Manual with 60k miles sold for 83k plus auction fees. I doubt a cab with similar miles will fetch that price.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

"A 98 Targa Manual with 60k miles sold for 83k plus auction fees"

One sale doesn't make a benchmark. Coulda been two drunk guys with more money than brains.

The Targa does enjoy lower production numbers. However, to imply that they trade for higher prices consistently is probably highly debatable.

Most Targa owners will insist they are more desirable than the convertibles, and the Cab owners will proclaim the opposite.

Both are great cars in their own way
Old 02-02-2017, 04:56 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Originally Posted by Speedracer997s
To the ones who claimed that the value of Cab>Targa. That pricing must be regional. Here is California, a Targa's value is always higher than Cabs due to it's low volume production.
To that point it's a lot harder to cool a Cab than Targa in the AZ summer heat, but then again its always hot here no matter the car.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Speedracer997s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

One sale doesn't make a benchmark. Coulda been two drunk guys with more money than brains.

The Targa does enjoy lower production numbers. However, to imply that they trade for higher prices consistently is probably highly debatable.
I agree. It could very well be 2 drunk guys. However in '98, they only made 22 manual Targas out of 122. I ended my 5 year search for a manual and ended up with a 98 tip.

Either way, both are great cars.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

Most Targa owners will insist they are more desirable than the convertibles, and the Cab owners will proclaim the opposite.

Both are great cars in their own way
Totally agree with you on one example is not enough. However, the value debate is always going to subjective...thats just how it works.

Seeing that I drive all three kinds, the Targa (too me) is the best to enjoy the drive, but the coupe is more inlined with my interests of "spirited driving." Always laugh at the size of the coupes sunroof (it's just comical).

Prices are really hard to show value due to deviations in; mileage, condition, options, market, and personal preferences.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:29 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Thing is, many 993 drivers, and Porsche in general, don't want a sunroof at all, especially the hardcore enthusiasts.

That's why, unlike every other brand, the 993 coupes trade for more than the convertibles and targas.

I understand how Targa drivers love their quirky roof, but at the end of the day, from a performance standpoint, most enthusiasts prefer not to have anything heavy at the worst possible place to boot, like a heavy glass roof.

The OP was talking about collectability. From strictly an investment standpoint, despite their lovely qualities and low production numbers, the Targa just isn't one of the 993s that stands out as the best collectible 993.

That said, very few of these 993s are, including my C4S with over 90K on the clock
Old 02-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I always thought prices for the cabs languished behind the targas because the soft tops don't have as nice of a profile and due to the higher production numbers.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

To bring a KBB into any pricing discussion is just completely ignorant.

From what I've seen, Targas are less desirable for several reasons. One is the known issue and ungodly expense of repairing Targa roofs, coupled with the fact that finding someone capable of repairs is nearly impossible. Not that 993's cab mechanical are that great, but they are easier to deal with and there are still some ships that can do it. Additionally, Targa is a cab tub with a lot of extra weight on top, from what I understand. That might not be a concern to many buyers, but is a reality.

Targas are lower in numbers because they were not nearly as desirable as cabs when new. For someone deluding themselves with the thought of future appreciation because of "rarity", they might be worth more. to the rest, I think they are not. The rare Targa on the market seem to support this thought, being less expensive than cabs.

The above is not written because I own a cab. As I've sad many times, I care absolutely none what it's actually worth. it's a driver. the above are just market observations and personal opinions. Coming from that standpoint, I'd suggest purchasing the car that a person likes. For me, for example I own the second 993 cab in the last 13 years specifically because they are cabs. I would not own a coupe. For many others it's completely reversed, they would not buy a 993 cab under any circumstances. As a matter of fact, I think the demarcation line on this is even more clear than on manual vs. tip debate.

PS. Completely agree with Goofball on the $83K price for a Targa. It's not within realm of normalcy. maybe there was a part of a Kardashian sticking out of the frunk, that could entice someone to bid more, especially around closing time.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Targa
To that point it's a lot harder to cool a Cab than Targa in the AZ summer heat, but then again its always hot here no matter the car.
As a person who daily drives ragtop convertibles for 19.5 years now in Boston snow and Miami sun, I fail to understand this perception. it's a very common perception, I get asked all the time. But it's wrong. Cab with a closed roof is just as easy to cool or heat as any other car. Why would it be otherwise?

A 993 Targa with a vast expanse of glass on top might actually be a serious issue in the cooling sense.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll stay out of the "value" part of the debate.

I do have to jump in about this whole "glass weight" thing. As mentioned before the whole targa car weighs ~60lbs more than the sunroof coupe.

That 60lbs is not all on top the car. The heavier stock wheels, additional chassis reinforcements, and motors come to mind. So, the glass is certainly heavier than the steel roof / sunroof, but it's certainly less than 60lbs.

Heck, I probably weigh 60lbs less than many 993 owners (I'm short), so I could care less.

Bottom line, I've never noticed the added weight when I'm passing coupes on the track
Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I always thought prices for the cabs languished behind the targas because the soft tops don't have as nice of a profile and due to the higher production numbers.
Funny, I see it entirely the opposite way. The Targa's profile looks strange to me. The Cab reminds a bit of the Speedsters of the mid-to-late 50's. If I had $200,000-$300,000 to spend, I'd love to own one of those 993 Speedsters.

The Cab top can be put into manual operation and there should almost never be an issue, besides top replacement. Now the Targa roof can be fraught with problems and not many are qualified to fix it. I remember speaking to Bob at RMG and he told me to never buy a Targa. I said "No worries."

As for KBB, really, seriously? They can't even get the pricing of early Miata's right, let alone older Porsches.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 523 Posts

..... and yeah that Targa Sale for.60k miles........ $83k is an "Outlier" for sure and doesn't define the market. Must have been hammered! But...any low mile 993 will sell for more than the higher mileage ones Targa Cab or Coupe. Personally, if I had my choice I would buy the Cab hands down all day. The Targa as an odd profile to it...just my opinion which doesn't mean squat. As above... the Cab it reminds me also of a Speedster.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Interesting opinion variance. I think the targa looks super cool with all of that glass and has a decent, coupe-like profile. Never really cared for how the cab looks, but I also never thought it in terms of a Speedster. Will have to rethink that perspective.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 85 Targa which I love, but the complexity of the 993 Targa would discourage me from owning one. Cheers

Quick Reply: 993 targa Desirability and resale