993 targa Desirability and resale

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:43 PM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 993 targa Desirability and resale

I am thinking of purchasing a 1997 993 targa
what is the Consensus on the targa v coupe as far as value and collectability.
Looking at older generations of 911's the targa's are much less desirable to most buyers - the designs of the 993 is so different than previous models that I feel is apples and oranges but wanted some feed back from the forum.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

I think you ment "TARGA" in your title. Buy what you like vs value and collectability. I am not a Targa Fan but to each their own in their desires. It's a 993 so... it's still a great car regardless but I think you limit yourself in resale. Color and options will make a difference. Manual vs Tip is a big difference in desirability also. 993 Targa tops are expensive to fix. I would rate as such ...in my opinion....993 Targa < Convertible < NB Coupe < Widebody < Turbo. Manuals will always command a premium over Auto. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I am a targa fan, obviously. For whatever reason, they are below coupes in prices. The top CAN be expensive if a lot needs to be done. But so are a lot of other items on a Porsche. If the car is well maintained, the top probably is also, & may need some adjusting or such, as the car ages.
Because the values are lower, you can get into 993 a little cheaper. I don't think the values will drop more in relation to coupes, so you won't lose any more than a coupe on resale.

The targas are fun. It's nice to have the huge glass in the winter & nice to have it open in the summer.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The Targa is usually considered the least desirable of the 993 range.

That said, any 993 is pretty sweet.

Think of the 993 Targa as the ugliest Kardashian. Still pretty easy on the eyes
Old 01-31-2017, 08:45 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As stated above, to each his own. All of the 993's are great cars but if you're buying merely for resale, then the targa might not bring as much as the other models, but still a pretty good way to enjoy your money, hold the value of your car, ENJOY THE RIDE, and sell it later if you want.

I love the targa feel. It's not really a track car, but I didn't buy one for that purpose. You can still autocross in it or just enjoy it on the road.

t think there are a bit quieter to drive compared to the cabs ---- plus you can almost instantaneously put up the top when it rains. Definitely a fun factor with this car.

The tops require a bit of maintenance to keep in good condition. But if you have a good mechanic, or learn yourself, it's not really that big a deal. All cars have the quirks.

Maybe other RL'ers will chime in, like Mike Juzenas, who has owned both a targa and a turbo. Great guy to meet and also very knowledgeable. I met him initially on this forum and is a great guy to help you out.
Marc
Old 01-31-2017, 08:45 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
993 Targa < Convertible < NB Coupe < Widebody < Turbo. Manuals will always command a premium over Auto. Good luck.
I would generally agree, but I think I would put the Targa ahead of the Cab. The upside of the Targa in the collectability category is the lower production numbers. That said, I am definitely a coupe guy.

As an aside.....Is there any difference in chassis stiffness between the coupe and the Targa?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackSnake99
I would generally agree, but I think I would put the Targa ahead of the Cab. The upside of the Targa in the collectability category is the lower production numbers. That said, I am definitely a coupe guy.

As an aside.....Is there any difference in chassis stiffness between the coupe and the Targa?
Just saw your post so I can answer you on this one ...

The targa and the cab are the same body style (also the same as used in the "aftermarket made" 993 speedsters). The chassis is re-enforced underneath because of the lack of rooftop support. The coupe is slightly lighter but also stiffer for this reason.

The 996 and 997 targas were built completely differently -- they were built from a coupe base with the roof installed by modifying the roof and installing the tops through the windshield opening. So these models are the stiffest targas out there - that is why they were allowed to make a rear window that opens. The 993's do not. I cannot speak for the 991's. That, I believe, is a completely different design since the top uses a newer glass-top retractable mechanism.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:53 PM
wyo
Racer

looking at a 97 with about 80k miles and lots of records, pretty nice driver, 8 out of ten on paint and 8 out of ten on the interior. new tires, brakes, clutch for about $45K
Old 01-31-2017, 08:58 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like a good deal, but get a ppi to be sure.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:59 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyo
looking at a 97 with about 80k miles and lots of records, pretty nice driver, 8 out of ten on paint and 8 out of ten on the interior. new tires, brakes, clutch for about $45K
Sounds like a good deal. But does it have all the options you want? And, with any of these older 993's, it is really best to get a PPI before you make any decisions. Paying just a little for an inspection by an INDEPENDENT Porsche mechanic (not referred by the seller) can give you a lot of valuable information.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Desirability for any 993 is good right now. If you want a driver, a 97 with 80k miles is fine. If I was seeking something that may become collectible I wouldn't start at 80k miles. I would get something with much lower miles. I would also probably get a 1998. If my recollection is right, they only made 140 or so that last year.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:06 PM
wyo
Racer

Yes PPI is complete - came back really good including a leak down test
Thank you for the quick responses
I feel that the Targa is more desirable than the cab but less than the coupe to most people but I really like the Targa on the 993 and hope to own and drive it for many years.
If I close on the deal I will post some pictures
Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyo
I feel that the Targa is more desirable than the cab but less than the coupe to most people but I really like the Targa on the 993 and hope to own and drive it for many years.
Sounds like you've got a good strategy. Low mileage cars are great for an investment, but then I think it makes it that harder to really drive it and enjoy it.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Targa! Targa! Targa!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:19 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wyo
I think you'll love it for all the reasons previously stated...

Quick Reply: 993 targa Desirability and resale