993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 targa Desirability and resale

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017 | 11:04 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Goofball's logic is always lacking. Ignore facts and use humor.

I love people who have never owned a Targa talk about issues with Targa's.

I've owned mine for 7 years, and spent $20 on a part for the Targa shade.

If we used complexity and cost when buying cars... we would own Corolla's and not a twin distributor ... 12 spark plug ... air cooled car that has a $15k cost to rebuild the heads.
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:29 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shadow993
Goofball's logic is always lacking. Ignore facts and use humor.
Hey, it's not my fault Targas are near or at the bottom of the 993 food chain. Remember, this thread is about the collectability of the Targa. The market has spoken long ago about their pecking order, sorry.

Don't hate the messenger just 'cause you can't handle the message
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:34 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Hey, it's not my fault Targas are near or at the bottom of the 993 food chain. Remember, this thread is about the collectability of the Targa. The market has spoken long ago about their pecking order, sorry.

Don't hate the messenger just 'cause you can't handle the message
You clearly are just jealous.

I can see the market and the Targa has a higher value. A simple look on eBay or cars.com shows Targa's have higher asking price.

I know .. I know it's complicated for you to understand facts.

Simple economics.... more cabs to choose will drive their price down.
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:44 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

You clearly are just jealous.
I have no dog in this fight. I have neither a cab nor a Targa. But you do. Maybe it's you who can't see things because of your inherent bias. You can fight with a cab owner over who's car is worth less.

Doubt I'll be too jealous in my C4S, but thanks for playing
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:49 PM
shadow993
Drifting

I have no dog in this fight. I have neither a cab nor a Targa. But you do. Maybe it's you who can't see things because of your inherent bias. You can fight with a cab owner over who's car is worth less.

Doubt I'll be too jealous in my C4S, but thanks for playing
I'm not jealous of your C4s. You are childish ... I could easily buy a c4s. I have a laundry list of cars.

Here ... let me help your ignorance. 2 eBay sells with similar miles. I'd call that a $5k delta. I'm aware other variables come to play.Name:  photo176.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  425.8 KBName:  photo989.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  228.6 KB
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:58 PM
nine9six
Banned

Hahaha!!!

Wow, all that heavy glass at the highest point of the car sure had made you Targa owners sensitive!

OK, maybe Kardashian was too
harsh. If I find any photos of Ruth Buzzi wearing a lead tiara, I'll be sure and post them.

Have a good one, you crazy Targa folks
GBD, you have me LMAO!

Targa's have higher asking price.
...asking prices have little or nothing to do with selling prices. Less production #'s equate to what the dealers order, based upon what SELLS the best in their area/demographic. If less cab and/or targa numbers were produced, it means the demand was less. Economics 101

I have owned both an 85 M491 targa and an 87 M491 cabriolet.
Pretty sure I will not own either type again, but I did feel more secure locking the targa than the cab.

As a matter of fact, I used to leave the windows down on the cab, just in case someone wanted in. OEM cab tops are expensive, and knives, box cutters, and razor blades, go through them rather easily.

Last edited by nine9six; 02-03-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Come on, guys; please be nice to each other.
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:17 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Originally Posted by nile13
As a person who daily drives ragtop convertibles for 19.5 years now in Boston snow and Miami sun, I fail to understand this perception. it's a very common perception, I get asked all the time. But it's wrong. Cab with a closed roof is just as easy to cool or heat as any other car. Why would it be otherwise?

A 993 Targa with a vast expanse of glass on top might actually be a serious issue in the cooling sense.
You obviously don't understand then... First off your summer in miami is my "fall" here in Phx and the Targa has a shade for the sun (for the greenhouse effect your are trying to reference). There is a difference between the Targa and the coupe but the cab is a lot hotter in the summer. The cab has small air leaks around the windows and it draws in hot air, it's not a lot, but it does make a difference. To address the Boston thing it would use the heating system, and not the AC so that's a whole nother issue. I'm not saying that the cab is undrivable but I would rather drive the coupe or targa when it is 115-119 ºF

Again I drive all three, and at heart I'm a coupe person so in the end, coupes > all others (sorry Speedsters)...

Thing is, many 993 drivers, and Porsche in general, don't want a sunroof at all, especially the hardcore enthusiasts.

That's why, unlike every other brand, the 993 coupes trade for more than the convertibles and targas.

I understand how Targa drivers love their quirky roof, but at the end of the day, from a performance standpoint, most enthusiasts prefer not to have anything heavy at the worst possible place to boot, like a heavy glass roof.

The OP was talking about collectability. From strictly an investment standpoint, despite their lovely qualities and low production numbers, the Targa just isn't one of the 993s that stands out as the best collectible 993.
To address the whole weight issue, no one gives a $#!+ on the street, if it's a race car, a cab is just as bad as the targa when compared to a coupe, so I don't know what you're getting at with that? On my coupe I wish it didn't come with the tiny sunroof.

About the collectability, the numbers aren't low enough to demand a premium if there was only 500 built then I would say they would be collectable. I highly doubt that the car will ever see any substantial value from being collectable. However to note the Targa's production was far less than the production of cabs.
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:33 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

II have a laundry list of cars.
Yes, I see the cars you chose. You're a quantity car owner. I'm a quality one.

Enjoy your laundry cars
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:46 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

IMHO the Targa is the prettiest 993.
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:46 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Yes, I see the cars you chose. You're a quantity car owner. I'm a quality one.

Enjoy your laundry cars
Pathetic. You do realize there is zero "quality" difference btwn a C4s and a Targa.

Name:  photo942.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  851.9 KB
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:52 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Arguing with a Jeep owner about what a quality car is....well, you get the point, Tex. Then again, maybe not.

Take care.
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:58 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Arguing with a Jeep owner about what a quality car is....well, you get the point, Tex.

Take care.
You are really not that bright. A Jeep Wrangler is bought for off-roading. Little do you know... they are very reliable.

Take your "quality" 4wd off-road! Bwahaha

I'm out of this conversation... you are more experienced at being an idiot. You win.

Name:  photo268.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  665.6 KB
Old 02-03-2017 | 12:58 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not jealous of your C4s. You are childish ... I could easily buy a c4s. I have a laundry list of cars.

Here ... let me help your ignorance. 2 eBay sells with similar miles. I'd call that a $5k delta. I'm aware other variables come to play.Attachment 1131615Attachment 1131614
Your phone battery is low.
Old 02-03-2017 | 01:00 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Your phone battery is low.
He could buy as many batteries as he wants.

Quick Reply: 993 targa Desirability and resale