Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of proposed suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't believe this was back in January! The project stalled when I lost access the work space I had planned on using. I lead a bit of a weird life as a permanent traveller who has a car addiction. So that means no permanent location with a garage etc.

The good news is that I bought most of the suspension parts in May and have access to the workshop as of this week. Quick word on the parts. I had great service from Tim in the parts department at Porsche Fresno. For those not aware, the member here, C. J. Ichiban, purchased the dealership earlier this year. Sure, the purchase process wasn't as smooth as online ordering from Sunset/Suncoast etc, however, Tim responded very quickly to all my emails, usually within an hour or so. Even when one of the two packages made it as far as Orlando then promptly started heading back west, he was on the case immediately. Prices may have been a tad higher although I was willing to pay that knowing CJ was only a message/email away if there was a problem. Plus it's nice to support the smaller dealerships sometimes.

No doubt I will have more questions as the project proceeds so let me start with a couple of photos to set the scene.

Plus a Carnewal supplied RS wiper bottle thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by JamesP; 08-03-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Brings back memories . Take it slow and enjoy the process, its very rewarding when you are all done and can drive the car again.

Love the bikes in the garage you are using!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Andrew B
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing a very similar project on a car with similar miles and am taking just as long. As a while you're in there I'd do the bearings too. Mine seemed ok but when I pressed them out the dry crusty grease proved it to be a good move.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 AM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andrew B
I'm doing a very similar project on a car with similar miles and am taking just as long. As a while you're in there I'd do the bearings too. Mine seemed ok but when I pressed them out the dry crusty grease proved it to be a good move.
Yes, bearings are on the list of things to look at once I'm in there. Hopefully better than yours. I know the CV boots at the back need attention. Hope it's just a case of repacking and replacing boots rather than axles. Although that sounds easier, a tad more costly.

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Brings back memories . Take it slow and enjoy the process, its very rewarding when you are all done and can drive the car again.

Love the bikes in the garage you are using!
I've waited about 50 weeks to get to this stage so yes, I'm going to enjoy the process.

I sold off most of my BMX collection to justify the 993 project. Now I live out my old school BMX through mates' bikes. Mine were just sitting in boxes rather than on display and were a waste.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 AM
jj1
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't tell by the packages, were you able to source brand new RS uprights?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:36 PM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jj1
I can't tell by the packages, were you able to source brand new RS uprights?
No RS uprights in those packages. Will be happy to just get to ROW height at the moment and will probably wait for the RS uprights to become available and make a decision then.

Quick Reply: Review of proposed suspension upgrade