993 Forum 1995-1998

LED High beam mod.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:02 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LED High beam mod.

Earossi's previous post reminded me to submit this one. Going with Tore's HID low beam modification rendered the halogen high beams useless. I'm currently using a LED low/high solution from Cyclops Adventure sports on my Ducati and have been very happy with the brightness and reliability over the last three years. These are designed for closed bucket operation with its fan cooling. The flash to pass LED beam is instant on unlike HID units. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/. No affiliation, yada-yada. The Tore's low beam kit affords you some extra space in the bucket assembly to allow for the LED converter which is very small.
The only issue was the white high beam Y mount hitting the fan. I modified it using a heated Exacto knife, easy.
IMO the result was dramatic and extremely bright. You need to realign the projection.
I also have the full Tore LED light conversion and I couldn't be happier with the quality support he provides.

High beam Y mounts unmodified. Left and right are identical.

Removed a small section from the left.

Passenger with Halogen, drivers side with LED

Passenger with Halogen, drivers side with LED.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:31 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

thanks for sharing. I've been wondering this. For those who have Tore's kit, do you miss having high beams?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:01 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Just to clarify, this appears to be the part you're using, and that's in combination with the T-Light kit from here, right?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
thanks for sharing. I've been wondering this. For those who have Tore's kit, do you miss having high beams?
GBX, You don't lose the hi-beams with Tore's kit, they merely become largely superfluous as the HID lights perform so well....
Old 01-23-2017, 05:24 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the quality of Cyclops LEDs. I have them in my SuperAdventure and they are awesome.

Great idea to use them in the high beam location. I certainly will when I upgrade my headlights.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
The low and high beams are two separate lights; low beam is through a projector, and high-beam is located underneath the projector in a typical reflector housing.

Originally Posted by Foxman
GBX, You don't lose the hi-beams with Tore's kit, they merely become largely superfluous as the HID lights perform so well....
I don't know about you but my high beams still make a huge difference on dark roads.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
I know you don't actually lose them but I figured the HID kit renders them basically useless

Originally Posted by AZ Targa
The low and high beams are two separate lights; low beam is through a projector, and high-beam is located underneath the projector in a typical reflector housing.

I don't know about you but my high beams still make a huge difference on dark roads.
Interesting...just with regular bulbs? Is it the light pattern that's better? Really figured the HID's would be all around better then the oem highs.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:42 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AZ Targa

No argument but I found the halogens worthless for night projection and maybe it's because I'm old and my night vision has really deteriated.
These LEDs will amaze you with the distance and spread they cover. Really a necessity in my parts with all deer crossings.

Last edited by flyingchappy; 01-23-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I use almost the same setup ToreB Hid's on low and Leds on main, they are a type with braided copper heatsinks rather than the fan. Been on for a year no probs and they do power through the Hid's unlike std halogens which as said are rendered obsolte apart from the rapid response. Those look a better idea with the fans but I've not melted anything yet.

Last edited by Endoman; 01-23-2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
No argument but I found the halogens worthless for night projection and maybe it's because I'm old and my night vision has really deteriated.
These LEDs will amaze you with the distance and spread they cover. Really a necessity in my parts with all deer crossings.
I try to avoid driving the 993 at night. Every time I do i hit something....
Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

For those of you who are using HID or LED bulbs in the high beam position, do the fog lights still switch as designed? With the low beams on and the fog light switch on the fogs should be on. Switching to high beam should switch off the fogs. Going back to low beam should switch the fogs back on. It is my unverified theory that some HID or LED bulbs as high beams keep the fogs from switching back on when going from high beam to low beam.

Edit ... thanks Endoman. The above fog operation is only USA cars AFAIK.

Last edited by hoggel; 01-26-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Cyclops LED on my low beam and have a 100w halogen for high.

The LED works much better than Halogen but not as bright as HID.

I too have Cyclops LED headlight of 10 of my bikes, new and vintage.

Great post!!
Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You shouldn't use hid's for the high beam they scatter badly due to being a reflector type. Low beams ok becuase it's a projector. On Row cars the fogs stay on with main. I have wired my fogs to act as daytime driving lights like the Canadian cars but they are the TuboS type with brake ducts
Old 01-26-2017, 11:05 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoggel
For those of you who are using HID or LED bulbs in the high beam position, do the fog lights still switch as designed? With the low beams on and the fog light switch on the fogs should be on. Switching to high beam should switch off the fogs. Going back to low beam should switch the fogs back on. It is my unverified theory that some HID or LED bulbs as high beams keep the fogs from switching back on when going from high beam to low beam.

Edit ... thanks Endoman. The above fog operation is only USA cars AFAIK.
I haven't checked this out but I'll give it a look next time I'm in the garage.

Quick Reply: LED High beam mod.