Sponsored by:

Stone guard replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Burt Goodwin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stone guard replacement

My rear fender stone guards need some help...chips, rock dings, etc. What is the procedure for replacement? Are there any tricks for easy removal of the existing surface? What's the liklihood of actual paint damage underneath once the guards are removed? And, finally, what is the best source for new replacements? If anyone has experience with this DIY, I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Miraculix
Pro

First of all, you better hope that Porsche let the paint on your car rest for 2 weeks after painting it before they put on your stoneguards. Othervise the paint will come off with the stoneguard when removing it

I wouldn't personally do this on my own mate, it is possible but you need to know what you are doing othervise the stoneguard will be filled with loads of airbubbles, etc, etc...

Last edited by Miraculix; 11-04-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Burt,

I've done it on my C2S. Got the stoneguard from www.invica-shield.com

You follow the direction, practice and it's very definately a DIY. I bought some of the material they used for the stoneguard to practice with, so I could get a feel how to do it. Also I use the yellow auto body filler squeeges to apply the film. Actually they were not recommended by invica-shield, but they worked much better than the ones supplied. The ones supplied are not pliable and can leave marks on the stoneguard.

If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:01 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Burt,

it is not that hard. Get some water and mild detergent/soap mixed together, and apply to the area where you are installing the stoneguards. This will allow you to (relatively) move the stoneguard exactly where you want it and once in the desired position, use a soft, auto body filler squeege starting from the centre of the stoneguard and then outwards towards the edges to remove any air bubbles and to help the stoneguard/glue set.

Hope it helps and wish you success.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Burt, what color is your 993? If it's either white or silver and you have the original factory paint, I would order the original stone guard from the Porsche(although it will say 3M in the backing sheet)dealer. The reason is, these 2 colors are pre painted on the stone guard. If it's diff color, then you could go with less expensive after market ones.

I've applied and removed I have on my 4rnr. When you peel the old one, don't pull straight out. Pull towards the unpeelled part(180 deg).

Trick when applying the new one, Lots and lots of soapy water, this way, before squeezing out the water, you can position it to the right spot by sliding/gliding around. Use a good tinting squeege to work all the water out.

I just had the right side of my 993 applied after Eurofinish repainted the qtr panel for dent repair. The Porsche/3M(pre-painted Grand Prox White) was $88, one piece. I've seen clear after market, still 3M, for $100/Pair.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:36 PM
cmcield
AutoX

Does anyone know how to remove the existing stone guards?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the stoneguards are somewhat warm they will come off easier:
Warm by the following, leave car in sun, use a hair dryer, use a heat gun (need to be very careful), or don't warm them at all, just have at it.

When you pull them off start from an edge and once you get it started pull the material forward and parallel to the car, like you're trying to stretch it, this will help break the adhesive bond. Then pull it the opposite way to peel it off. Continue doing that process until it's completely off. Do go slowly. If you do it this way you will have very little to no adhesive remaining on the car.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:04 AM
tlark
Drifting

So as I understand this, my car is black. The stonegaurd is actually painted from the factory and its similar to a 3M clear bra in its removal & application and can be ordered from Porsche.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:16 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

just pull - that's what i did. it was about 60 degrees outside and it took 95% of the adhesive off with it.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:53 PM
hawk993
Racer

Burt...I read an article like this and decided to do the same thing, everyone says the old stone guards come right off, no problem, DIY...piece of cake...don't believe it. I ended up scratching up one side, the guards were the original and came off in little pieces whether I tried it warm with a hair dryer or cold and just peeling it, so I scratched up my car...I ended up letting a body shop do it and they said it was a pain in the a** to get the stone guard off...and they have the correct tools! Don't believe everything you read in here, I wish I had never done it myself!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:31 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

hawk993,

Well, we're all liars, I guess. You actually scratched up your paint? You know, you're not supposed to use a PUTTY KNIFE to scrape off the left over adhesive !!

The special tools needed are:

1) A quart of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.
2) A plastic body shop bondo spatula.
3) Fingernails.
4) A piece of cardboard to sit on.
5) Some patience.
6) A cold Yingling.

There is no easier DIY for a 993 (other than putting gas in the car) than removing and replacing these fender guards.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:38 PM
hawk993
Racer

Has anyone noticed in Rennlist forums if you don't agree with the masses someone comes along and makes you out to be a jerk...like Mike Cap does? I guess we are not allowed to hold a different opinion or to tell something whether it is true or not if it does not go along with what everyone else says.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:56 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
The special tools needed are:

1) A quart of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.
2) A plastic body shop bondo spatula.
3) Fingernails.
4) A piece of cardboard to sit on.
5) Some patience.
6) A cold Yingling.

Ahhhh.....Mike...that's aahhhh...YUENGLENG !!! and it is NO DOUBT the most important tool in this project.

I thought REJEX was the easiest DIY though ??
Old 08-30-2004, 06:13 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

hawk993:
Just because you scratched the hell out of your paint removing the plastic stone guards doesn't make the rest of us liars. I would disguise the tag # on my car and continue to use an alias to if I were you.

Keith:
Oh my god, I misspelled Yuengleng?? The oldest brewery in the US? I'm losing my edge....
Old 08-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Replaced my stone guards with Invica Shields. Pretty simple, just be patient.

As mentioned prior, let the car sit in the sun and if you pull the old ones off at just the right andle, all of the glue will come with it.

I was a bit nervous about doing it myself, once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty easy. If you can get some assistance with the spray bottle, that helps. Good Luck!

Scott

btw...I did it myself because I couldn't find a shop to do it.

Quick Reply: Stone guard replacement